Quantcast

24 inches of love

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I see where you're headed, but wouldn't that make the BB super low with that frame? The geo on that NS is designed around a taller suspension fork, right?

On a side note, I'm still thinking about something in the 24" department. I've been riding the trails on my old 20" the past few weekends. It's fun, but feels soooo small and unstable compared to my 26. I'm thinking I'll build up a new 20 and 24, and throw them both into the rotation with the two-six. Is that too many DJ bikes?
Yeah, you couldn't use that NS frame - BB would be lower like you said plus the head angle would be steeper. Like when people ask to put a sussy fork on a General Lee - just opposite.

24" rigs are great - I've been riding one since '85 when I started racing cruiser in addition to expert class. Something like the Tonic, USB or Nem is nice - still very flickable but the bigger wheels are a lot more stable than a 20" rig.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
so, im converting primarily tyo 20". i hopped on my friends last night never ridden it before and hop 360d it second try on flat. it was set up for opposite foot forward too. flow trail 2008 matte blue. keeping the fall guy around for a while though...

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
so, im converting primarily tyo 20". i hopped on my friends last night never ridden it before and hop 360d it second try on flat. it was set up for opposite foot forward too. flow trail 2008 matte blue. keeping the fall guy around for a while though...
It's about damn time... everyone under the age of 18 should be required to ride a 20...

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Do the new fall guy frames not have the curved seatstays?

Ultimately geometry took priority over this feature. Making the top tube higher or the chainstays longer to include an extra bend in the stays simply didn't make any sense.

That said, I don't expect very many people will be disapointed with the way the new FG looks, or rides.

-L

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
PSYCHED on the new molly frame. NOT psyched on the 2005 Marz Dirt Street Fork which weighs 9.5 lbs. everyone said it was too heavy, i said hell it can't be that bad, i used to ride a 40+ lb. Standard.... big mistake. the bike is so goddamn front heavy. now i gotta get a new fork. at least i got a D-Street axle out of the deal. hah!

Marzocchi 80mm travel Dirt/Street fork (NEW) with D-Street axle
Atomlab GI front wheel,
Profile cranks 180mm, chrome
KHE half-link chain
T1 Sprocket, 30t
Rear wheel Odyssey cassette, 13t
Gusset Open Prison 3" rise bars
Primo Casket XL stem
FLY Ruben Alcantara XL grips
Dia-Tech 99 lever, Dia-Compe classic 990's (not on yet)
Odyssey 99er seat, Odyssey Intac post
Haro concave platform pedals

Need new seat, new stem, new pedals NEW FORK. ....f*ck !

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
wow, d street has to be the most unnecessary fork on earth (short of super monster of course), 8.5lbs or something for 80mm of travel that feels like a rigid. Save some weight/money and just get a funn 20mm qr rigid. Nice bike though.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
PSYCHED on the new molly frame. NOT psyched on the 2005 Marz Dirt Street Fork which weighs 9.5 lbs. everyone said it was too heavy, i said hell it can't be that bad, i used to ride a 40+ lb. Standard.... big mistake. the bike is so goddamn front heavy. now i gotta get a new fork. at least i got a D-Street axle out of the deal. hah!

Marzocchi 80mm travel Dirt/Street fork (NEW) with D-Street axle
Atomlab GI front wheel,
Profile cranks 180mm, chrome
KHE half-link chain
T1 Sprocket, 30t
Rear wheel Odyssey cassette, 13t
Gusset Open Prison 3" rise bars
Primo Casket XL stem
FLY Ruben Alcantara XL grips
Dia-Tech 99 lever, Dia-Compe classic 990's (not on yet)
Odyssey 99er seat, Odyssey Intac post
Haro concave platform pedals

Need new seat, new stem, new pedals NEW FORK. ....f*ck !

yeah, that fork is a boat anchor, and not to mention that s&m device sticking out the top of your stem too... haha.
But welcome to the USB action, that frame is a hotty taMolly!

I kind of like the old 90's overkill 20" parts on there too for some reason, haha. I've still got an old primo casket, the boxes they came in were frickin' sweet. Had the og T1 sprocket too, but I had 36t, was the smallest I could run and still clear the brakes on the chainstays, haha... thought that was tiny at the time too!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
... slowly coming together... yeah!
-- NEW animal seat, macneil ultralight post, 4 Terrible One pegs, shadow conspiracy seat clamp, old school 990's . . . .

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Cruisers are great but no one makes one w/ a short CS, longer TT, or can fit a 2.2 tire in the back. And having a little bit of sussy in the front is a bunch more comfortable.
I had an '04 and have this '05. They both fit the 2.2 Twin Rail just fine. The '05 CS's are a lot shorter than the '04 - it's set to about 15". The '05 is also much lighter stock. Sadly, I think this gem was only made for 1 year like this. I'll never sell mine just because I could never find anything to replace it. I guess I could build one out of a Tonic or the like, but at maybe 3-4x the cost! :)

While I think these Tonics and Molly's are great, sexy rides it is a bit funny to hear what I consider traditional hardcore 20" riders raving over them. Guys similar to my 20" friends who always said "just get a 20" when I could never get comfy on one, and who would laugh at me for even thinking I wanted a little suspension up front! I guess I was 4-5 years ahead of my time! :lighten:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105415 Dropped another 1/4# or so recently with a Thomson BMX stem. Have yet to put the new HolyRoller 2.4 up front.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Very nice cruiser Bulldog - it's cool to see one w/ short stays and big tires. Kinda weird that the only made it for one year and it's 3 years old - like you said - hang on to that one.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Tony, you old trend setter you! Maybe if those bikes made their way out of your garage people would catch on faster :-o

Love ya, Dude. Looking forward to getting rid of all of this white poo so we can ride some trails.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Tony, you old trend setter you! Maybe if those bikes made their way out of your garage people would catch on faster :-o

Love ya, Dude. Looking forward to getting rid of all of this white poo so we can ride some trails.

The doc said I can't ride until I'm completely healed up or else I'd be tempted to hit Four Seasons soon but I can't imagine the pain of crashing wrong right now! Don't want to un-do all the progress. Maybe another month.

And yes, I've always loved bikes that were a different flavor (mini-DH, burly cruiser, flat-bar roadie, etc). Now those are all gaining popularity. What can I say?! :) I have to give you credit for the first micro-drive MTB I'd ever seen. Everyone thought you were nuts for running a 25t on a MTB - look at them all now right?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
hey, what bars are those ? are they 3" rise ? i have 3"s on my molly, but i could definitely run 4's, so i can have the stem slammed all the way down but still have a comfortable height. so i'll probably end up running a 2 piece bmx cruiser bar.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
i could definitely run 4's, so i can have the stem slammed all the way down but still have a comfortable height. so i'll probably end up running a 2 piece bmx cruiser bar.
hey, I've thought of trying that too...
but I can't really get my hands on any 4" cruiser bars though... and I'd want something at least 27-28" wide too.... Saw some old school S&M C4 4pc. bars, but they looked SUPER heavy.... anyway, if you have any ideas, post'em up.

nice DMR too, I'm diggin' it. The duece-quad FS100's are solid... that combined with the moto lever and I'm putting money down that you live in Europe... ?