Quantcast

%*%

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The "neighborhood" included about 800 acres of woods and trails.
riding my bike in the woods at night was the best thing about growing up in virginia...other than the 930 club.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I know. After borrowing them last time I recently bought the tool.

The issue is the drive ring lagging and not engaging. ex: climbing everything is fine, coasting/descending I can pedal and the drive doesn't engage. I've already partially disassembled, cleaned, lubed and it went away, but came back on yesterday's ride. No bueno. I suspect some grit holding the driver from sliding into mesh with the hub body, or some problem with the spring that preloads the drive ring.
Tore apart, cleaned, lubified, scrunched back together, everything is ///money.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I know. After borrowing them last time I recently bought the tool.

The issue is the drive ring lagging and not engaging. ex: climbing everything is fine, coasting/descending I can pedal and the drive doesn't engage. I've already partially disassembled, cleaned, lubed and it went away, but came back on yesterday's ride. No bueno. I suspect some grit holding the driver from sliding into mesh with the hub body, or some problem with the spring that preloads the drive ring.
There must be some kind of badass who would lend you King rebuild tools. ;)

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
so what you're saying is, you're gonna have to overnight it to a guy in texas who specializes in fixing king hubs for $200 instead of letting your local shop fix it for $375.
More like, skip paying the shop $50 for one repair and instead spend $120 on the tool so I can fix shit forever.

There must be some kind of badass who would lend you King rebuild tools. ;)
Total badass, but questionable judgement! :thumb:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'm glad I've never had baller hubs. I read an awful lot about these "high end" hubs shitting the bed and needing to be resurrected with specialty skillz and toolz.

Carbon cranks on the other hand... those are a must.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'm glad I've never had baller hubs. I read an awful lot about these "high end" hubs shitting the bed and needing to be resurrected with specialty skillz and toolz.

Carbon cranks on the other hand... those are a must.
This is the exception for me. I just sold a pair of King hubs that I owned for like 12 years. They were flawless with easy annual maintenance with no special tools. This rear hub was new and just had some schmutz in there or something, and since i have three of the hubs having the tool for a full service seemed worth it.