Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I run thin XC tubes and Kenda 2.3 DH tires.
Just checking, I figured you had light versions.
BTW I run tubeless and single ply kendas with no problems. I beat the crap outa them as well as land flats/stair gaps/rocky rutty single track and harsh rock gardens with no flats to date. I did slash a tire 3 treads wide on a rock but that would have taken any tire out.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
weighs in at 41lbs as seen
Don't think that's correct, a friend has one that weighed 40.6lbs with much lighter parts.

DHX5/Ti instead of Avy/Ti
721's instead of 729's
LG1 instead of SRS
XT's instead of Holzfellers
Easton instead of Funn

Unless the scale we used was miles off, that doesn't weigh 41.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Don't think that's correct, a friend has one that weighed 40.6lbs with much lighter parts.

DHX5/Ti instead of Avy/Ti
721's instead of 729's
LG1 instead of SRS
XT's instead of Holzfellers
Easton instead of Funn

Unless the scale we used was miles off, that doesn't weigh 41.

you're right, i lied.

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
Funny you should mention that! Bullitboyz and I are actually having an R9 build-off this winter. Lightest race-ready R9 by the US open wins a 6-pack and pizza. Normally I'm not really THAT lame about weight, I just run what performs best, and it happens to be light. BUT, since I'll have an entire winter to work, save money, and buy light goodies, why not right? :thumb: He's goin down.
That's why I said that, I post on BS from time to time so I'd seen the buildoff mentioned. That bike is really nice as it is, but bullitboyz usually just has ridiculously trick builds. I'll sure have some fun seeing the results. I know R-9s can be built light, and they'll still last a couple of seasons. Have fun!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I think if you got pics of the ride on HD then it ought to be on this thread. Common people I know there are some chumbas/BMW's/M3's and more out there.
Are we the monkey's or do we ride monkeys? :D
Lets see the bikes people, its down time and I know after 2+ years here that you guys have some sick rides.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
38lb's by the digital bathroom scale.

Pic is a bit out of date.
I run a Ex823 on Hadley out front now and have a 2.5Blue Groove singleply on the front. Also changed to a Sram cassette as the HG50 was came stock was a tank!

Got a rear 2.5 folding nevgal on order - that should take a few more grams off her also

MaD666MaX

Monkey
Jul 24, 2004
Montreal
here is my setup

Frame: Orange 223 2005 15" 2005
Rear shock: Fox DHX 5.0 2007
Spring: Progressive Ti 450lbs
Fork: Rock Shox Boxxer Race 2006
headset: FSA Orbit Mx with topcap
Spacers: Carbon
Crank: Race Face Diabolus*
Pedals: Speedplay drillium
Chainguide: E.13 SRS East Coast
Sprocket: FSA DH 38t
Bolts: Acier
Front brake: Avid Juicy 5 203mm
Rear Brake: Avid Juicy 5 203mm
Rims: Mavic EX729*
Front hub: Ringlé ABBAH SOS DH(20mm)
Rear hub: Ringlé ABBAH SOS DH(150X12mm)
Spokes: DT Champion 260mm
Nipples: DT brass 2.0X16
front tire: Michelin Comp16 2.5
rear tire: Michelin Comp24.1 2.5
Scealler: Stan Notube's
Rim tape: Maxxis TS Rimstrips
Cassette: Sram PG-990
Chain: Sram PC-991 Hollowpin
stem: Thomson 50mm 0°
bar: Answer Pro Taper 2"
bar ends: Plastic
shifter: Shimano XT with cable
housing: Jagwire
seatpost: Thomson 27,2 mm
seatclamp: Orange
Saddle: Specialized Rival Ti
Derailleur: Shimano XTR short cage
grips: ODI Lock-On Cane Creek

41.6lbs on bike shop digi scale

i will probably change the cranks for some holzfeller OCT and maybe the fork for a 2007 boxxer team with solo air.

pic is not up to date...

Attachments

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
My V10 is sitting at 37.5 right now, I put some holfellers on it and ditched the middleburns (sorry brian, but there going on my trail bike im tired if inboard bearings) and I have an air shock. Once I get a new 5.1 and build up a new rear wheel and get a boxxer it should be right around 35, maybe less.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
43lbs...I know it isn't close to 40lbs or under, but still...
A few more things left to change out, hopefully take off some more weight. I'm thinking carbon post and a lighter different seat. any other Ideas?

Specs:

'07 888 SLATA
'06 Yeti 303 - DHX 5.0 w/Ti spring
Saint 165mm Cranks
Hope Bulb Hubs laced to Mavic 823's
FSA Pig - Swap to Ti King?
Titec 27.2 Seat post - Swap to carbon post?
Titec Seat - Swap to a road type seat?
'07 Hope v2 Moto Brakes
Sram road cassette
sram x.0 short cage der.
sram x.0 trigger
odi grips.
maxxis minion 2.7 DHF super tacky front
maxxis minion 2.5 DHF 3c rear
Shimano 545 Clipless
e.13 SRS - Thinking LG1?

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
how are the new hopes?
They are sick looking. That's about all I know so far. I haven't gotten any ride time due to mass amounts of snow falling for the last 5 weeks in a row here in the Denver Metro. We are headed out to Bootleg on Friday, so I'll have a better Idea how they are once I get a few rides on them this weekend. I'm super stoked to be headed out to Bootleg. It's my first trip out there.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
well, i've posted a few pics already of my yeti asx, but my computer isn't letting me post right now for some reason. the specs are(all 2006 parts):
yeti asx frame, black medium
manitou travis triple intrinsic, 180mm
diabolus stem/31.8 protaper bars
profile racing bolt on rear hub/20mm front laced to syncros dps 32 rims
thomson seatpost
wtb laser V DH seat
fsa gap cranks w/ quab bearing megaexo bb
azonic a frame pedals
oury lock on grips
sram x.7 shifters
shimano lx front derraileur/sram x.9 rear
e.13 drs chainguide
sram PC91 chain
sram cassette
magura louise fr brakes w/ 210mm front rotor, 190mm rear
maxxis minion DH tires w/ maxxis DH tubes (too heavy)

bike comes in at about 40 lbs when weighed by holding it + standing on bathroom scale, when weighed accurately, probably about 38.5-39.5 lbs as a guess

BJ-

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Australia
A few more things left to change out, hopefully take off some more weight. I'm thinking carbon post and a lighter different seat. any other Ideas?

Specs:

'07 888 SLATA
Saint 165mm Cranks
'07 Hope v2 Moto Brakes
Sram road cassette
sram x.0 short cage der.
sram x.0 trigger
odi grips.
Shimano 545 Clipless
e.13 SRS - Thinking LG1?
I dont think you have to revert to the extreme of getting a carbon seat post, just yet. Try a trimmed aliminum i-beam pole with a carbon i-fly saddle instead.

An LG-1 chainguide is a good idea. Pair it up with an e.thirteen Guide Ring and youll knock off some there. A different headset is also a good idea, but id dump the money somewhere else first. Chris Kings are expensive and dont save enough weight for the price you pay (Although i do love them!). I cant see what bars your running. But weight can always be shaved off there.

But most of all look into tires. They will make the biggest difference...

Love the bike so far though!

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon

Specs:

'07 888 SLATA
Saint 165mm Cranks
'07 Hope v2 Moto Brakes
Sram road cassette
sram x.0 short cage der.
sram x.0 trigger
odi grips.
Shimano 545 Clipless
e.13 SRS - Thinking LG1?
very nice bike. as for shaving some weight, front tire could drop to 2.5, sram doesnt make road stuff, so going to a real road cassette like shimano is a tad lighter, the seat and post could be changed for an ibeam and i fly, and i guess if you have the money, a ti king HS is a great option. also, i know saints are super nice cranks, but they arent the lightest, but that bike is amazing anyways, have fun!

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by BJ
I dont think you have to revert to the extreme of getting a carbon seat post, just ye
dude i really dont think it matters its a seatpost for crying out loud. i mean now a days we have carbon bars, and carbon frames for the dh world. i dont think a carbon seatpost is going to explode if he sits on it, and besides its a dh bike how often are you gonna be using that seat anyways unless your doing some stupid bender huck.

ohh and for bppatterson. lg1, tubless (if you arent already running them), 2.5 tire up front, road gears, xo short cage shifter, I9's, different cranks (even though saints are bombproff they are tanks), and well im out of ideas cause well that is pretty much the whole thing. so im thinking if you do all of that you could get her around 41. hope that helps man.

BJ-

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Australia
dude i really dont think it matters its a seatpost for crying out loud. i mean now a days we have carbon bars, and carbon frames for the dh world. i dont think a carbon seatpost is going to explode if he sits on it, and besides its a dh bike how often are you gonna be using that seat anyways unless your doing some stupid bender huck.

ohh and for bppatterson. lg1, tubless (if you arent already running them), 2.5 tire up front, road gears, xo short cage shifter, I9's, different cranks (even though saints are bombproff they are tanks), and well im out of ideas cause well that is pretty much the whole thing. so im thinking if you do all of that you could get her around 41. hope that helps man.
I think you missunderstood me mate.

I wasnt refering to the strength of carbon at all. Im a big supporter of carbon. I was refering to the price to weight saving ratio of a carbon seatpole. What i was tyring to say was for the same price he could shed more grams else where.

Just like my Chris King Ti Headset comment.

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
i refuse to partake in this nonsense:disgust1:

(ok actually I don't want to give Sparky any of my ideas till after the weigh-off in May.... once he sees i've taken a hole-saw to my frame, he'll HAVE to copy me.)

i don't trust Mickey in this contest... he has access to 'Unobtanium' parts

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Thanks Cecil, and yes she'll be playing this summer! She's been out a couple times already this year.

Matt,
Thanks, and no the stickers didn't come that way, those are totally custom one-offs. Actually I'm just an old dork that way, and had some GT stickers. Yes, it's a single pivot, the main pivot bearings are onepointfive bearings while the BB/I-Drive bearings are 1 1/8" internal headset bearings.