Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

chic06

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008

Heres my all purpose freeride bike it comes in at 45 even

Any suggestions for light but strong parts outside of the wheels. My goal is 40 or just below if possible. Thanks

Attachments

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

Heres my all purpose freeride bike it comes in at 45 even

Any suggestions for light but strong parts outside of the wheels. My goal is 40 or just below if possible. Thanks
Bars, cranks, pedals, seat, casette (if heavy, cant see).

You should post the whole build here so it should be easier.

chic06

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
Heres the build
Frame: 2003 Iron Horse SGS
Shock: 5th w/steel spring
Fork: 2008 RS Domain 318
headset: 2008 woodman saturn 1.5
stem: 2008 Holzfeller 40mm
bars: 2008 holzfeller dh
brakes: 2006 hayes nine
Seat: fizik poggio
cranks: 100mm isis holzfeller 165mm
pedals: diamondback something
chainguide: e13 srs
cassette: shimano 9speed 11-26
Shifter: sram x9
derailleur: sram x7
hubs: formula 165mm rear 110 front
spokes: dt champion 2.0
rims: sun double track
tubes: bell
tires: kenda excavator 2.5

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I'll keep the Demo theme going with an update on mine now with the CCDB.
Medium Demo 8
CCDB with Diverse Ti coil
2007 888sl
Formula "the ones"
XO shifter with Nokon shifter cable
X9 short cage RD
dura ace casette 11-23
Sunline V1 3/4" rise 745mm bar
Sunline Direct mount stem
Thomson post
Race face Atlas FR 170mm cranks
E-13 guid ring
Gamut P-30 guide
Mavic 729's with Hadley hubs
Mavic crossmax SX's
Syncros mental mag
MAxxis DHF's
Soon to have a KMC X9 Sl chain, magnessium linkage, and a lighter saddle.

39.8 with 729's. 38.8 with Crossmax SX's

nenjarickard

Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Gothenburg, Sweden.
I had that frame last year and i must say that the looks will increasy increadibly if you replace the seat and grips to something white/black. Awsome setup though!

How did you manage to get a Dura ace cassette there? An old 9 speed version?

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I had that frame last year and i must say that the looks will increasy increadibly if you replace the seat and grips to something white/black. Awsome setup though!

How did you manage to get a Dura ace cassette there? An old 9 speed version?
Ya I plan on putting a nice 200g saddle of some kind on there. It will be white. I'll leave the grips untill they wear out. I was lucky and got one of the last new 9spd Dura ace cassettes in Canada.
Can't wait to get her dirty.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Finally got my saints on after finding out that my stock bb was cross threaded from the factory. Weights 38.8 now.

Hey. I just thought of soemthing concerning your build. I have the same spring that came on my CCDB. I weighed it and it weighs a disgusting 660 grams!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a 450 fox steel spring kicking around and it weighs 430 grams!. If you were to put a Ti spring on there that weighs 330 grams that would be some serious weight savings. I never ran that CC steel spring because its a brick.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Was your a 350# or a 450#? How does the Diverse spring work? I hate how much my steel spring rubs?
I haven't gotten to ride the diverse coli yet, but its what malcom at CC recommended. Its what CC specs on their double barrels that are orderred with ti springs

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore

Size - Medium
Fork - Rockshox Pike 426
Stem - Straitline Pinch 35mm
Grips - Lizard Skins North Shore
Handlebar - Deity Dirty Thirty
Shifters - SRAM X9
Brake Set - Avid BB7/SD7 Levers
Rear Derailleur - SRAM X9
Rear Shock - Fox DHX 5.0 Air
Rims - Spank Subrosa
Hubs - Hope Pro II
Pedals - Deity Decoy
Crank - Truvativ Holzfeller Urban(to be changed to Shimano SLXs soon)
Saddle - Charge Spoon(pictured, Charge Stool)
Seatpost - Deity Tibia(to be changed to a Thomson soon)(pictured, stock post that came with frame)

16kg +/- (35lbs +/-)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If I see one more makulu I think I'm gona go on a mass murdering rampage because of the jealousy it creates in me. Great bikes.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think I'm going to have a first-borne just so I can sell it to buy one.
I was going to order one but then the ****ing bankers bitchslaped my currency and it went up 2x the price so it makes me twice as angry for not having one. But well I can't complain with the Legend I just preordered (Yes I finnaly decided on my bike ;) ).

Daz

Chimp
Mar 5, 2008
I’ve had a little project underway to get my Boot’R ready for the season and ended up going a bit nutty for light weight (if I only had the same concern about myself). Right now it sitting at 36.5 lbs and everything is pretty legit (I haven’t gone out drilling holes or anything stupid like that).

I’ve SRAM-a-fied it including the titanium Vivid rear spring, X0 short cage rear mech, hollow pin chain, Elixir CR’s (203 front 185 rear), Boxxer WC (nuthin but air), Holzfeller OCT cranks (nuthin but air in those too), Boobar bars (say that 5 time fast).

The Kore UST wheels are helping out as is running tubeless 2.4 Conti Mountain King tires. The tires will eventually get changed to something a bit wider/burlier/heavier but these should be good for spring riding conditions around here.

Attachments

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I’ve had a little project underway to get my Boot’R ready for the season and ended up going a bit nutty for light weight (if I only had the same concern about myself). Right now it sitting at 36.5 lbs and everything is pretty legit (I haven’t gone out drilling holes or anything stupid like that).

I’ve SRAM-a-fied it including the titanium Vivid rear spring, X0 short cage rear mech, hollow pin chain, Elixir CR’s (203 front 185 rear), Boxxer WC (nuthin but air), Holzfeller OCT cranks (nuthin but air in those too), Boobar bars (say that 5 time fast).

The Kore UST wheels are helping out as is running tubeless 2.4 Conti Mountain King tires. The tires will eventually get changed to something a bit wider/burlier/heavier but these should be good for spring riding conditions around here.
Nice dude, is that Neethlings old frame?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Can you tell me a bit more about those Kore UST wheels? Weight? How they hold up?

BTW. Conti mountain kings? Enduro tires. Dunno about new ones but they don't have the strongest sidewalls so low pressure riding may suck a bit.

Daz

Chimp
Mar 5, 2008
Can you tell me a bit more about those Kore UST wheels? Weight? How they hold up?

BTW. Conti mountain kings? Enduro tires. Dunno about new ones but they don't have the strongest sidewalls so low pressure riding may suck a bit.
The Kore UST are 31 mm section width (outside) and are not drilled all the way through both walls like Mavic's. Only the wall facing the hub is drilled, so they have a really good torsional stiffeness for the given size. They are kind of under the radar compared to some other names in wheels but good quality stuff. They are still pretty new so I can't comment on the durability.

I'm am planning on switching the tires but will wait till later in the season. I'm also not sure if the UST thing will work out or if I'll go back to tubes.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm currently using 823's laced to syncros hubs and I love tubeless and 823's but If kores are lighter than I'd gladly switch.

Daz

Chimp
Mar 5, 2008
I'm currently using 823's laced to syncros hubs and I love tubeless and 823's but If kores are lighter than I'd gladly switch.
when it comes time to put real rubber on I'll weigh them and post back here for you. Their website might have something on it too.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Looked at it. They seem rather Heavy. Sucks ass a bit but still I don't have the ****loads of cash required for the fulcrum or new deemax so I'll probably build my new rear wheel on my own.