Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Here is my baby, hehe!

It's 16.4kg right it is now and how i raced this weekend.There is some difference from the actual picture on components. Still we can cut some more weight on it, right now is with boxxer race, we can upgrade to world cup that should be around 300gr less, dee max 2009 on it (2008 on picture) with drilled holes for use of tubes kenda 26. 2.35 front and rear tubes with minion front on both wheels in 2.5, XT derrelleur until i get a tuned XTR with Saint shot cage, steel spring 300Lbs right now should upgrade to a obtainium, selle italia seat on actual one, mallet 3 pedals and not much more to go.... Special stem i designed with 109gr with all bolts on titanium... Frame is same type as Barel but smaller, this is only prototype and only for racing as the frame is super light... was specially made for south africa and worlds... but you know what happened...

Small vid I got from the weekend, hehe!
http://vimeo.com/4262766

Anyway bike is 36.15Lbs. Hope you enjoy! :)
Great build. I like the look of the new Mondracker - looks like a modernized sunday.

Any info when it will hit production?

And no proto Formula The One Brakes on yours.....

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
Great build. I like the look of the new Mondracker - looks like a modernized sunday.

Any info when it will hit production?

And no proto Formula The One Brakes on yours.....
Hehe! No special parts on mine, hope can get soon some new deemax 2010 and the new formulas as well as the WC fork as now I'm riding the RACE but is good enough for me, hehe!

The bike should be available around september if we have no delays or october in worst case, it will change everybit from this bike so look will be way different and no sunday look anymore, but this was just prototype for stiffness, long term durability and so on, so just something built for testing ;)

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
38.05LBS

Changes:

Deity Dirty30 bar
Sunline Boxxer stem
2010 Boxxer Team
Schwalbe folding Muddy Marys, Gluey Gooey upfront, 3C outback
Deity Decoy pedals
SDG Formula seat

dhjunke

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
40.5lbs. Working on getting 823's by summer.

Knolly DT medium / DHX 5.0
Thomson Post and Stem
WTB SST 98 Seat (From 1998!)
Deity Dirty 30 bars and enoki grips
King 1.5 headset
Totem coil
SLX double cranks and front der
Saint shifters and Rear Der
Hadley 12x135 rear / King 20mm front / 819
Rubber Queen for trail riding
Minion / high roller for parks (adds 1.1 lbs)
Avid Elixir CR /203/185

Attachments

Last edited:

Dean W

Chimp
Nov 26, 2008
Have a read.
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=119454

That bike is the real deal. The wheel set is what makes the bike ridiculously low in weight, but then again, so would a set of Stans Flows on Hope hubs.

The right parts mix and a low weight frame (SOCOM) and you have a super light DH bike.

That comment by RayB.....unless you are being sarcastic is pure ignorance.

Dean W

Chimp
Nov 26, 2008
What am I guilty of being ignorant of?
Calling a persons DH bike an XC bike is insulting.

Really I'm just ruffling your feathers, but that bike is insanely light and isn't a show bike either. It gets ridden a lot and ridden fast .......downhill.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
The truth can be painful.
what's xc about it?

the boxxer wc?

the 9.5x3" dhx air?

the xt cranks survived all last year and a still going strong

the wheelset takes 12+ drops without a fuss

it's not my bike, but I ride with the guy and it ain't about long walks on the seawall or posing for pictures. We live in British Columbia, the terrain is pretty unforgiving and weak parts don't last long. The owner of the bike rides daily and I've never seen him shy away from any type of nasty terrain or obstacle.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Dave, he's trolling.
Actually, I'm not. I'm just calling it as I see it. I'm not calling into question anyone's riding ability or putting anyone down. I've ridden in BC (Cypress, Seymour, Fromme, Whistler) and I'm in awe of your terrain. But...as far as that Socom goes, there is plenty of stuff on it that is not DH spec. You can argue all you want about it, but it's the plain truth. If you hung a bunch of Dura Ace on a DH frame I would say the same thing - those are not DH parts. Of course there are some parts on there that are clearly built for DH, but there are others that clearly are not - no matter if they have held up (so far). Just saying that simply because you can fit the part on a DH frame does not make the bike on the whole what I (or many others) would consider a dependable DH bike.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I think the main reason with ppl arguing over DH'ness of that bike is the fact that it can hold serious riding but leaves very little space for mistakes. One bad line, crank hit or crash and you're really hurt. Also while racing sometimes you just have to plow, no matter how much you like your bike.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
what's xc about it?

IMO,
XT cranks (I run them on another bike, but no way would I run them on a bike that would be prone to pedal strikes)

Dhx Air shock on THAT frame...with its wierd VPP rate variation (personally I dont ride one on any bike as I think they feel like crap).

Wheels. Mavic hubs are so-so at best...24 proprietary alumiminum spokes, machined out rims. I could see one in front.

Tall Mag pedals with ti spindles and a rider weight limit....another recipe for walking home if there are any rocks around.

The saddle. Sitting on it may be fine, but fast rough off camber turns call for inner thigh-seat contact something that will become painful on long days of lift service.

Then there is the frame itself... again a nice part, but not a DH frame IMO. Too tall, short and steep and flexible to be classed as a true DH frame.

It is a nice bike for sure, but there are some serious comprimises made (like most of the bikes posted in this thread) that IMO would make it less reliable and lower performance (and more expensive) than I would allow in any DH bike I owned...I guess it really depends on how you define 'DH bike'.

Last edited: