Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Budget lift and local shuttle bike. 36#13oz. for roughly $2500USD. Spare parts bin, E-bay, closeouts/sales build. Sure, could have picked up a budget complete, but part of the fun, for me, is the buying/selling/building.

Not a hucker, not a racer, but wanted something bigger/slacker/burlier than a trailbike to hit the lifts and shuttles with. :) Had a Totem Solo Air last year, got a cheap deal on the Boxxer Race. Fixed the little issues out of the box. Very fun bike, so far. Has the 7" link in back. Just shy of 64* HTA. Not super low, but low enough, which is fine for my hackitude.

Outlaw rear wheel, take off generic Specialized front wheel. Intense 909 rear/Nevegal DH tire combo, Roco Air. Works Components -1 head cups. Kore bar, Sunline stem, Avid Juicy brake setup, SRAM 9.0 shift/derailleur setup. Cheapy cranks, post. M540 pedals. Chainguide setup with two Stinger guides. Seat is kinda odd: my brother in law gifted me with it - a Selle Italia SLR recovered in dear hide. He found it on E-bay. It is comfy at least... bunch of generic little weight saving bits and parts here and there, mostly leftovers from parts and bikes past.

Doesn't get a ton of ride time on my local trails, but as said, it's sure nice to have when going somewhere more applicable than my trail bike or hardtail.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
nice what lighter wheelset are you going for.
Dont know, im still waiting to decide on color set up but Im thinking hpe pro IIs with black spokes and white PC'd 721s or 5.1s or just do Jeffs I9s all blue with white I9 rims.

I noticed a eyelet on hte 823s leaking a little today when I mounted the new tires then did the bubble test on the schrader and sure enough it was bubbling as well. Tightened it down and bubbles are gone, got me to thinking I never had an issue with ghetto tubeless so why not shave some rim weight and try a set Ive been wanting to.

I dont really know if you have a suggestion Id be down to checking it out...
Its a fresh start so its not decided.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Dont know, im still waiting to decide on color set up but Im thinking hpe pro IIs with black spokes and white PC'd 721s or 5.1s or just do Jeffs I9s all blue with white I9 rims.

I noticed a eyelet on hte 823s leaking a little today when I mounted the new tires then did the bubble test on the schrader and sure enough it was bubbling as well. Tightened it down and bubbles are gone, got me to thinking I never had an issue with ghetto tubeless so why not shave some rim weight and try a set Ive been wanting to.

no, no Hopes I hate Hope hubs they are garbage. the I-9s are 100s of times better.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A

Well i'm a big fan of the hopes because they offer such good value. I've never found the slower engagement to be a problem as some people do. As much as I'd love a pair of I9s i couldn't justify the extra price. I went for some of the hope pre built wheels hope am 4 hubs with 721 rims
http://www.hopegb.com/voir_whspam4.html. The 4 bolt disk hubs and straight pull spokes make for a rather sexy looking hub that perform very well and for the price of a set of I9s i could have 2 pairs of wheels

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I've ridden with Travis and we have a ton of the same riding buddies. He has promised to send it so many times it is comical. The frame protector was only $12 but the principle is what matters. To me he is a lying sack crap.
let's play nice.......some people just can't let things go. Should I call a Waaahbulance for you?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Sounds a LOT like the bad seller thread a year ogo.

'Yea you paid me'
'no I never sent you the product'

'It is no big deal, get over it'

BTW, nice edit!!

Orfen

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
UP, michigan
Sounds a LOT like the bad seller thread a year ogo.

'Yea you paid me'
'no I never sent you the product'

'It is no big deal, get over it'

BTW, nice edit!!
yeah how lame is that?

if someone ever did that to me - I would literally go through the trouble of getting a plane ticket and would go knock on someone's door.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Budget lift and local shuttle bike. 36#13oz. for roughly $2500USD. Spare parts bin, E-bay, closeouts/sales build. Sure, could have picked up a budget complete, but part of the fun, for me, is the buying/selling/building.

Not a hucker, not a racer, but wanted something bigger/slacker/burlier than a trailbike to hit the lifts and shuttles with. :) Had a Totem Solo Air last year, got a cheap deal on the Boxxer Race. Fixed the little issues out of the box. Very fun bike, so far. Has the 7" link in back. Just shy of 64* HTA. Not super low, but low enough, which is fine for my hackitude.

Outlaw rear wheel, take off generic Specialized front wheel. Intense 909 rear/Nevegal DH tire combo, Roco Air. Works Components -1 head cups. Kore bar, Sunline stem, Avid Juicy brake setup, SRAM 9.0 shift/derailleur setup. Cheapy cranks, post. M540 pedals. Chainguide setup with two Stinger guides. Seat is kinda odd: my brother in law gifted me with it - a Selle Italia SLR recovered in dear hide. He found it on E-bay. It is comfy at least... bunch of generic little weight saving bits and parts here and there, mostly leftovers from parts and bikes past.

Doesn't get a ton of ride time on my local trails, but as said, it's sure nice to have when going somewhere more applicable than my trail bike or hardtail.

Cool bike, smart build. Not too flash but it all works well together and you can't argue with the weight! I like how you saved $ where it made sense and saved # in other areas.

-edit- you should center that sweet deerhide saddle though, it looks kinda goofy pushed all the way forward on the rails like that, but if it works for you who cares. Just my .02.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Cool bike, smart build. Not too flash but it all works well together and you can't argue with the weight! I like how you saved $ where it made sense and saved # in other areas.

-edit- you should center that sweet deerhide saddle though, it looks kinda goofy pushed all the way forward on the rails like that, but if it works for you who cares. Just my .02.
Nah, I agree. That seat isn't staying on there anyhow. Threw it on just to see how it felt. Whoever redid the thing removed all the padding. Not super comfy, to say the least! My normal seat isn't quite so sharp looking, or as forward.

I have a normal SLR on my trail-bike, and it's pretty comfy. On this bike, without any padding, it's an ass hatchet. Even on a bike when you aren't on the seat much.

I still have an ongoing debate of Boxxer vs. Totem. No racer or hucker, so I don't need the Boxxer - but got a cheap deal on it, and love to try new stuff. The Totem would save weight, is plenty stiff, yadayadayada. But the Boxxer is very confidence inspiring to see up there...

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
^ I dunno about the Totem, it would probably look sweet and shave some more weight but the reliability is questionable (at least of the early models) the cartridges and seals used to like playing blow-uppy at the most inappropriate of times. Like anything though I am sure it has been remedied with the latter production runs.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
^ I dunno about the Totem, it would probably look sweet and shave some more weight but the reliability is questionable (at least of the early models) the cartridges and seals used to like playing blow-uppy at the most inappropriate of times. Like anything though I am sure it has been remedied with the latter production runs.
Oh, this one is fine. I've already got it - with a year of time on it. Was riding it lowered to 160mm on another bike for a bit as well. Began life as a 2Step, and was converted to a Solo Air.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Bull what width is your bb? I decided to go with a new bike this year it has 83mm bb so I need to figure what size bb to go with for the Middys. Obviously an 83mm shell but not sire on spindle length.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
You need a 128mm ISIS spindle for the proper chainline [(128 - 113)/2 = 7.5] which is the difference in chianline when going from 135 rear (47.5mm chainline) to 150 rear (55mm chainline).

If you look, all(yes I am aware that there is most likely an exception somewhere) 83mm ISIS bbs are 128mm spindle for this reason (ie, you get no choice).