Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Wow davep, chill out.

That wasn't even directed toward you, I agree about the shortcomings of the XTR/83mm BB setup but you must concede that there is a lot of pie tossing in the thread atm.

Muerto

Chimp
Oct 30, 2009
Sweden
Nice bike Cyklist! Looking forward to chasing you on your home trails come summer. :)

Can't believe how much people are hating on the bike. Having ridden with Cyklist, I can tell you the bike is definitely not used for posing nor is it used for e-riding...

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
haven't posted in here for quite some time so here's an update.
None of the changes decrease weight. 2010 40 RC2, Atlas FR bar, Thwenty 6 stem. Still 39 pounds. I don't really see the appeal of having a DH bike much lighter. I'd be paranoid running some of the setups in here.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
am i the only person on theis site that does not care how much anything weighs or how cool the manufacture is!! i mean really is there a bad dhbike? ( well except for demo9 and his pos 303) i like the fact that there are so many bike to chose from and everyone of them will get you to the bottom of said trail as fast as your boys will let you rip the trail!!!!

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
am i the only person on theis site that does not care how much anything weighs or how cool the manufacture is!! i mean really is there a bad dhbike? ( well except for demo9 and his pos 303) i like the fact that there are so many bike to chose from and everyone of them will get you to the bottom of said trail as fast as your boys will let you rip the trail!!!!

Thats great you feel this way but honestly you are in the wrong thread....

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
amen & + rep

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Wow davep, chill out.

That wasn't even directed toward you, I agree about the shortcomings of the XTR/83mm BB setup but you must concede that there is a lot of pie tossing in the thread atm.

That was not necessarily aimed at you and that is why I did not quote you....more the four prior posts of people who want to argue a point that was never brought up nor made.

I am perfectly 'chill', a forum in no way impacts my daily life. However, I am a little dissapointed that what was once a great MTB forum of knowledgeable people and good discusssions without BS bravado and rantings of the uninformed...has gone so far in this direction. What was THE place to talk about fine points of anti-squat, actual IC migration, cool home made modifications, and custom fork tuning....Stuff that actually made a bike ride better.

has now devolved for the most part into people arguing about part weights, colors, and brand 'coolness' that have ABSOLUTELY zero impact on performance, and loud mouths that think that they are 'right' if they belittle others. It is now all about looking better, whether it is 'looking' like you know what you are talking about, or how cool you bike looks.

It is pretty sad that the conversations at MTBR are more mature, more focused, and more productive that here (except of course the weight weenie forum which is pretty much on par with current RM post quality).

If you have been around here long enough, think about a really informative, well thought out, great thread from someone who genuinely added quality content to this site............now ask yourself why they dont post here any more.......it is a simple answer.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
That was not necessarily aimed at you and that is why I did not quote you....more the four prior posts of people who want to argue a point that was never brought up nor made.

I am perfectly 'chill', a forum in no way impacts my daily life. However, I am a little dissapointed that what was once a great MTB forum of knowledgeable people and good discusssions without BS bravado and rantings of the uninformed...has gone so far in this direction. What was THE place to talk about fine points of anti-squat, actual IC migration, cool home made modifications, and custom fork tuning....Stuff that actually made a bike ride better.

has now devolved for the most part into people arguing about part weights, colors, and brand 'coolness' that have ABSOLUTELY zero impact on performance, and loud mouths that think that they are 'right' if they belittle others. It is now all about looking better, whether it is 'looking' like you know what you are talking about, or how cool you bike looks.

It is pretty sad that the conversations at MTBR are more mature, more focused, and more productive that here (except of course the weight weenie forum which is pretty much on par with current RM post quality).

If you have been around here long enough, think about a really informative, well thought out, great thread from someone who genuinely added quality content to this site............now ask yourself why they dont post here any more.......it is a simple answer.
I agree 100%. Ive been here a long time. I spend hours searching and reading. RM has really gone DH... no pun intended. Tech questions are NOT answered anymore, bikes are made fun of, and all the hate is really bringing this site down.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
dear davep:

you sent me a solo air boxxer seal kit (which was a great help) and have very helpful with tech questions on both here and emptybeer. Your posts are appreciated both on rm and mtbr, don't give up.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
However, I am a little dissapointed that what was once a great MTB forum of knowledgeable people and good discusssions without BS bravado and rantings of the uninformed...has gone so far in this direction. What was THE place to talk about fine points of anti-squat, actual IC migration, cool home made modifications, and custom fork tuning....Stuff that actually made a bike ride better.

+ rep!

Wish I could have stated it that succinct and well-spoken.

my vote for post of the year.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
well if you want the experience, buy a 303, and if you want me to continue answering all your trail questions at diablo, stop flaming me.
yes there were, i was 1 of them, if you saw this at diablo, it was me, if not, than it was somebody else.
Yep was at Diablo. I remember being like wow how could Yeti release a frame that expensive that falls apart.
I know they are not boutique but that is why I like Specialized and.Giant they usually work the bugs out before the release a bike.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Yep was at Diablo. I remember being like wow how could Yeti release a frame that expensive that falls apart.
I know they are not boutique but that is why I like Specialized and.Giant they usually work the bugs out before the release a bike.
ya think we talked, being as i think i remember that. Yes i completely agree, although im sure 80% of them had no problems, so i guess yeti sees no problem.

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
I'm gonna play

I think it weighs about 40 lbs........

.....+ 5 or 6lbs. ;)
Perhaps I'll put on some carbon wheels, road saddle and strip the paint.:thumb:

Last edited:

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Ok I'll play. Rebuilt, 35.8lbs with dual ply swampthings and tubes. It's as light as I really want to go, reliable, raceable, and not a scale queen (for me at least). I've got a few things I still want to try but they will have to wait a bit.
09 V10 Med. Stripped
09 Fox DHX 5.0 with Manitou ti spring, 450lb.
09 Fox 40 Soft steel spring '10 lowers
DT 5.1D laced to hope pro 2 (gold) Crank Bros. Opium's when they come back in stock. Slightly heavier but by going tubeless weight should stay about the same.
Maxxis Swampthing 2.5 front 2.35 rear
Sram X.0 Shifter (gold)
Sram X.0 Der ss cage (gold)
Shimano Dura Ace cassette 12-23
Shimano XT servo wave brakes 6" rear rotor
Gamut P-30 chainguide white bash
Gamut 36 tooth race ring
Gravity light cranks 165
Wellgo MG1 pedals (soon to be replaced)
SDG carbon I-beam seatpost
SDG I-fly saddle
Sunline V1 bars 745 black
Po1nt stem 50mm
Jagwire brake lines and cable housing (gold)
KMC X9 chain (gold)
some zip ties, a bit of velcro, and some camelback housing cover round this thing out. Photo sucks and I don't have a scale shot. Deal with it.

Big thanks to everyone that helped pull this together!

-edit- after all that, I think I'm gonna be on a Revolt fairly soon.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Ok I'll play. Rebuilt, 35.8lbs with dual ply swampthings and tubes. It's as light as I really want to go, reliable, raceable, and not a scale queen (for me at least). I've got a few things I still want to try but they will have to wait a bit.
09 V10 Med. Stripped
09 Fox DHX 5.0 with Manitou ti spring, 450lb.
09 Fox 40 Soft steel spring '10 lowers
DT 5.1D laced to hope pro 2 (gold) Crank Bros. Opium's when they come back in stock. Slightly heavier but by going tubeless weight should stay about the same.
Maxxis Swampthing 2.5 front 2.35 rear
Sram X.0 Shifter (gold)
Sram X.0 Der ss cage (gold)
Shimano Dura Ace cassette 12-23
Shimano XT servo wave brakes 6" rear rotor
Gamut P-30 chainguide white bash
Gamut 36 tooth race ring
Gravity light cranks 165
Wellgo MG1 pedals (soon to be replaced)
SDG carbon I-beam seatpost
SDG I-fly saddle
Sunline V1 bars 745 black
Po1nt stem 50mm
Jagwire brake lines and cable housing (gold)
KMC X9 chain (gold)
some zip ties, a bit of velcro, and some camelback housing cover round this thing out.
Photo sucks and I don't have a scale shot. Deal with it.

-edit- after all that, I think I'm gonna be on a Revolt fairly soon.
very nice

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
That's was the plan when I bought it but the 2.5 has been bullet proof so far so its gonna stay for a bit, gives me time to get the rest of it ready for such shenanigans... 300+hp in a small car with short wheelbase = win...

H&R springs Koni shocks new brakes and STi wheels are on the way...

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Całkiem ładne cacko, Arturze ;) a na DHZ już się pochwaliłeś? ;)
I'd use some velcro instead of innertube to protect seatstay of such a nice bike ;)