Quantcast

888RC2x Vs. Fox 40rc2 Vs. Boxxer World Cup

Nov 9, 2005
As i see it now those are the three nicest forks on the market. Does anyone have complaints or good things to say about any of them because im looking into a new fork and all the imput helps

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
888rcsx, i own i fox, I believe that they fell better but do not hold up to as much abuse as marzocchi. 888 are nice and will look a lot better on your stinky,escpecially because in jan they will come in white. PLus TREEEEEEEEVOOOOOOOOOr Carlin used it awh.

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
I have yet to get on an 06 Boxxer, but it sounds great. If your style is more light and flowy I'd say go with that. But if you ride with more power, go with the 40. Thats what I have and I'd recomend that. I'd say that unless your a hardcore freerider the 888 is pretty outclassed by the other 2 options. Also, the travis is alright, but it happens to be about ten feet tall.

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
The funney thing is that the only race you have ever competed in is the Ellings Park race.lol. Buy the 40

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
well i guess im gonna be another vote for marzocchi. im gonna get the new rc2x in january with the pimp white. i will agree with on that it is a freeride fork, but there are numerous racers who race on them as well. yes its not stated as a race fork but thats because marzocchi makes it, and they dont have anything that is made for race. well accept for there xc race. i think that the new rc2x will make an awsome race fork. of course right now i cant give an accurate judgement or review on it but when i get one in january i will be sure to let you boys know. so good luck on your decision man and i say go 888.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
degoose said:
The funney thing is that the only race you have ever competed in is the Ellings Park race
If that's true you shouldn't be seeking better equipment and just ride your bike.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I love the 888. I testrode one in November at PKill that was on a new SDale Judge and it kicked ass. Can't wait to get one.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Adam Novatt said:
888rcsx, i own i fox, I believe that they fell better but do not hold up to as much abuse as marzocchi. 888 are nice and will look a lot better on your stinky,escpecially because in jan they will come in white. PLus TREEEEEEEEVOOOOOOOOOr Carlin used it awh.

Was that klingon?

I'm partial to the 888, but...... thats because mine is pre-production and semi-custom :thumb:

I have a friend who kept breaking the pinch bolts on his older style 888, so he got a Fox and LOVES it. He might be on here somewhere....... Where you at Dart? got anything to add?

I don't know anyone thats ridden the new boxxer, sorry

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
A lot of big racers have been on the new Boxxers for a season now, so I'm assuming it's been working well. I've heard nothing but good things about that fork.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i love how people call the new travis a "huge fork" the atoc is wayy lower than what is posted on the manitou site

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
dexter said:
i love how people call the new travis a "huge fork" the atoc is wayy lower than what is posted on the manitou site

i think its in the ballpark for an 8" fork, i put a travestite and a rc2x equipped bikes beside each other and they looked similar in height, the travis looks taller maybe because of the amount of exposed stanchion.

btw dex, a friend had a problem with loosing rebound damping because the rebound check valve spring treaded itself into the check valve and didnt allow the valve to close, ever heard of that happen? (easy fix)

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...I've been boned by Boxxers too many times to feel comfortable with them at this point. I read Pterodactyl's review of them earlier in this thread, and from what he has said about his experience with them - the 06 WC sounds like it is a great fork.

The one thing I question about Boxxers, is their reliablity, and quality. When it comes to Boxxer production, QC (Quality Control) at RS has been very inconsistant. The top crown on my last Boxxer had gouges on the inside of the surface that slides down over the steerer. I doubt you'd find that problem on a Marz or a Fox.

This was of course an 04' fork, (COMPLETELY different from all the 06' models) so hopefully SRAM's acquisition of RS has improved their product. Only time will tell if the new SpeedStack and other new internals will have good QC and hold up over time.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
yeah but there is no way in hell that is a stock fork, i saw guys bottoming it out off some small jumps and drops

yammj1

Chimp
Dec 8, 2005
stock's not the same as the one used by the pro's... they are custom made for them.

but I think, boxxer world cup or the 40rc2 would be a better choice

S.K.C. said:
...I've been boned by Boxxers too many times to feel comfortable with them at this point. I read Pterodactyl's review of them earlier in this thread, and from what he has said about his experience with them - the 06 WC sounds like it is a great fork.

The one thing I question about Boxxers, is their reliablity, and quality. When it comes to Boxxer production, QC (Quality Control) at RS has been very inconsistant. The top crown on my last Boxxer had gouges on the inside of the surface that slides down over the steerer. I doubt you'd find that problem on a Marz or a Fox.

This was of course an 04' fork, (COMPLETELY different from all the 06' models) so hopefully SRAM's acquisition of RS has improved their product. Only time will tell if the new SpeedStack and other new internals will have good QC and hold up over time.
I've had a few Boxxers now. I was on the fence between the Fox and the Boxxer also. The things that I considered and steered my decision were the following:

Boxxers are simple. I have always been able to do my own maintenance on them. I don't like waiting/ relying on others to do something I can do.

Boxxer has an integrated stem mount. I already had a stem and crown from my last fork and liked the system. I don't like having to fix my barrs after I eat S**t.

I was concerned about the seal/ air leak issue. Sram has been testing and prototyping for 2 years. If there was still an issue blowng up forks, Peaty and Rennie would have brought it to their attention before I would. I had to hava little faith. Besides there are few shocks that are air/ notrogen prung that seem to work OK and the pressure inside those is significantly higher.

I got my Boxxer for 1200.00 from my LBS vs 1400 for the new Fox.

I've personally seen a few Fox forks broken at the arch.

The quality and controls of this Boxxer is great. The Maxle is a very good system...no more stripped out threads in the legs. The adjustments are perfect. It weighs nothing, too.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i agree. boxxers are very easy to work on. i've been running them for years now and the two times i did have to send one back, i had it back in one weeks time. that alone will make me loyal to the product.(send something back to manitou, and you'll be your buddies "shuttle bitch" for 6-7 weeks.)

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Having tried a 04 888, 05 40, and 05 boxxer I would def pick the boxxer. It just felt the nicest on the trail.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
IMO, the 888 is a sick fork.
I have alot of friends riding 888's and they swear by them.
on the other hand,
I have 2 good friends whom I ride and race with that ride the Fox 40Rc2 and they love it. Both have broken the Arch, but sent it back and Fox hooked them up. Both now have the new lowers and the Fork has held up alot better since. I like the 40 alot as well.
For years the Boxxer has been a great race fork no doubt and it's light. With people like Nathan Rennie and Steve Peat riding them, they put them to the test for sure. BoXXer is a great fork. I don't think there's an argument there.
It's a tough choice.

Plus:
Darren at PUSH has told me that you can expect the Factory Race System for BoXXer to Come out in early (First Quarter) '06 along with new PUSH crowns for BoXXer. They are working hard to get everything ready to start custom tuning forks. Darren is one smart guy and knows suspension like very few do.

Custom Tuned Forks are the Shiznit.

Marzocchi now offers custom tuned forks.
You can order your Marzocchi fork custom tuned from the get go.
I dont know what the added price is, but the new 888 Rc2x is sick!!
I'll most likely pick up a custom tuned 888Rc2x for my New Yeti 303 build that's gonna happen in early '06.

I Love Marzocchi Forks, I've ridden an '02 Shiver DC and an '02 Marzocchi Shiver SC for a while now and both forks have never been anything but stiff and plush. (I still own both) I also have a 66RC on my Freeride bike and that fork has also been sweet. Marzocchi makes some good quality stuff for sure!

Plus with Marzocchi Forks, their CS is Tip Top.
As is Rock Shox CS. I have had the pleasure of working with a few over there at RS as well and they were always very willing to help out in anyway they could. I have heard both positive and negative things about Fox CS. Some say that if your not an industry insider, that they aren't very pleasant to deal with. I don't personally know, I have never had that experience. I dont own a Fox Fork, but every time I have had to deal with Fox regarding my DHX shocks or my Rc's they have always been super good.

My Suggestion:
Do what's right for you...
That way, you'll be happy.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
trevor the fox will look so big on your bike, just order a 888rcsx or the boxxer, I would once again recomend the 888 because it is a well proven design, and well this air triple boxxer is a new idea that has only been tested for maybe 2 years.