Quantcast

Aerobic Base Training - Waste of time for DH/ 4X?

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Just saw this on www.cyclingnews.com

"Winter training methods

I'm curious of your thoughts regarding winter training methods. I've read a few papers (they're at home so I can't reference them at the moment) that essentially argue against the traditional winter training methods of low intensity/high volume riding. These papers speak in terms of 20-minute maximum power (20MP) as the variable studied.

Their research shows that, basically, continuing high intensity intervals/training will increase the 20MP versus standard long easy rides that riders generally do around this time of year. They also feel that this is far more effective for increasing performance in-season instead of starting from scratch as traditional methods seem to teach.

I'm just curious which method you tend to gravitate towards or believe. I'm a person of science and if there's evidence for it, I tend to lean towards that.

Anne Racioppi
Matawan, NJ, USA

Ric Stern replies:

Great question. While I'm not sure if there are any actual papers looking at 20-minute power, the available research and first principles shows that performance is better controlled with moderate to high intensity training, which will increase our power output.

Previously, people have suggested that off-season training should consist of low intensity, high volume work, because high intensity may either make you peak (in winter) or have an adverse physiological reaction (e.g., a few people have suggested "bursting capillaries"). However, there is no evidence to support this, and in fact the evidence would run counter to that (i.e., high intensity training at ~ zone 5/VO2max levels) actually helps increase capillary density.

There may be some need to do easy, long volume sessions (e.g., a change of pace and prevent burnout, help with weight management if you have lots of training time available, you like long rides, and it helps you get used to being in the saddle for long periods of time - which may be important if you're a pro cyclist).

Low intensity rides don't do much physiologically speaking to help improve performance"

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
...In testing the riders that I work with tend to be only 10-15 seconds slower over a 4 minute DH course without a chain on their bikes! Yes, there is explosive and dynamic movement occuring...
That is really, really interesting! And makes me not feel so bad cuz I once got beat by a guy who broke his chain out of the gate. :bonk:

Seems to validate a lot of what James was preaching too about core strength and power.
I got his "free" body weight exercises list and some of those things are damn hard. (Crab walks = teh suck)

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Just saw this on www.cyclingnews.com

"Winter training methods

I'm curious of your thoughts regarding winter training methods. I've read a few papers (they're at home so I can't reference them at the moment) that essentially argue against the traditional winter training methods of low intensity/high volume riding. These papers speak in terms of 20-minute maximum power (20MP) as the variable studied.

Their research shows that, basically, continuing high intensity intervals/training will increase the 20MP versus standard long easy rides that riders generally do around this time of year. They also feel that this is far more effective for increasing performance in-season instead of starting from scratch as traditional methods seem to teach.

I'm just curious which method you tend to gravitate towards or believe. I'm a person of science and if there's evidence for it, I tend to lean towards that.

Anne Racioppi
Matawan, NJ, USA

Ric Stern replies:

Great question. While I'm not sure if there are any actual papers looking at 20-minute power, the available research and first principles shows that performance is better controlled with moderate to high intensity training, which will increase our power output.

Previously, people have suggested that off-season training should consist of low intensity, high volume work, because high intensity may either make you peak (in winter) or have an adverse physiological reaction (e.g., a few people have suggested "bursting capillaries"). However, there is no evidence to support this, and in fact the evidence would run counter to that (i.e., high intensity training at ~ zone 5/VO2max levels) actually helps increase capillary density.

There may be some need to do easy, long volume sessions (e.g., a change of pace and prevent burnout, help with weight management if you have lots of training time available, you like long rides, and it helps you get used to being in the saddle for long periods of time - which may be important if you're a pro cyclist).

Low intensity rides don't do much physiologically speaking to help improve performance"

Yeah, and this is the same guy who made the state a couple years ago "Most research using trained cyclists or triathletes shows no correlation between muscular strength and cycling performance" and has got jumped all over by the sport science cycling world.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
That is really, really interesting! And makes me not feel so bad cuz I once got beat by a guy who broke his chain out of the gate. :bonk:

Seems to validate a lot of what James was preaching too about core strength and power.
I got his "free" body weight exercises list and some of those things are damn hard. (Crab walks = teh suck)
I think what that shows is no matter how fit you are in DH, you gotta have the skills to use it, or your still going to get beat. It is one of the things that maked DH different than most other cycling sports.