Quantcast

an AM bike you'd like a company to build

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
carbon, belt driven gearbox, integrated dropper post, 150mm f & r with 13" bb, 66 HA and a short rear end.

So, the Zerode trail bike proto with a belt and integrated dropper post really.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
yes! bit of a weight penalty w/ the gearhub, but something i could learn to live with.
Wasn't that carbon? If they modyfied/build a new hub body for the nexus they use as gearbox the weight penalty may be very small.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Really? Hmm... I happen to really like the bushings. Did you get one where the bushings wear out real fast? Mine have been just fine for the year I have had it. They may not be quite as buttery smooth as bearings, but it isn't anything I can notice at all when I'm on the trail. Better yet, they are a snap to replace and only cost about $10 a set.
Well, to be fair, I don't ride it a whole lot. I know have 7 two wheeled machines in my garage (1 road bike, 4 mtb's, and 2 motos) and the spitty gets the least use of any of them. But my complaints have nothing to do with wear. Mine should almost no wear right now, nice and tight. The only problem is too tight. The linkage is just a little stiff. Even with the shock off it doesn't really move freely. I've taken it apart, checked to make sure its greased right, tried all different kind of tightnesses on the pivot bolts. It's not terrible or anything, just definitely something I notice while riding. It certainly doesn't keep me from wanting to ride the bike, or hold back while riding it. It's not even bad enough for me to consider replacing the frame any time soon. Just not...ideal.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Wasn't that carbon? If they modyfied/build a new hub body for the nexus they use as gearbox the weight penalty may be very small.
still probably going to be an additional 1-2lbs, but well worth it, imo - esp, given the potential longevity of a carbon chassis gearbox bike. the old lahar is going into it's 6th season, and required maintenance has been ridiculously minimal.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
still probably going to be an additional 1-2lbs, but well worth it, imo - esp, given the potential longevity of a carbon chassis gearbox bike. the old lahar is going into it's 6th season, and required maintenance has been ridiculously minimal.
Supposedly new zerode dh is much lighter. Acording to my calculations it should be 1-2 pounds heavier than regular dh frames but that's without the carbon use and modyfied use to the differance may end up even smaller if they went that way.

Also yeah I could live with that. Hell I can see far more need for a gearbox in a trailbike than on a dh bike. At least for me.

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
i really want to see a 12.5-12.7 inch BB, 120-130mm travel, 16.3-16.7CS, 63-64 degree ha, and corresponding correct sizes (like 45-46inch wb large) with solid breaking performance. Made out of carbon, can be built to ~29-31 lbs with a decent/strong build.
use a scott voltage frame...run the 8.5 shock dropout, and run a 7.785 i2i shock...you will end up w/...
110-120mm travel
16.7 CS
somewhere between 63-64 HA (stock is 65)
somewhere around low-13" BB (13.7 is stock)

and can be built down to 31lb w/o much effort when built using the appropriate parts for "AM".

can pick a fr30 up new for $1700, so w/ a complete bike to work off of, its cheaper than most frame-only's out there.

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
It's funny how certain bikes have come and gone into and out of the fold over the years without people noticing why they were popular at the time.

Let me introduce you to the bike I and a lot of other people owned a little while back. It's the bike I learned how to go fast on really. (click on the geometry tab)

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?arc=2003&sid=03Enduro&gold_ses=

That was almost 10 years ago when that frame came out, and the really old spec bikes that they don't have on their site anymore were 4/4.5" travel frames with honest to god 12.5" BBs.

But TONS of people had those bikes in the link I posted and really liked them, myself included. Their fatal flaw was that this design squatted like crazy when climbing uphill. It's the only reason I got rid of it.

But it cracks me up when people say 'oh you couldn't ride a bike like that here'
I just wanted to reiterate how great this bike is.

I rode mine from 2005 until December of 2011. That bike was my first XC bike, DH bike, DJ bike, Commuter, Skatepark bike. It honestly did everything. I was broke in college and this bike helped me develop into the rider I am today. I was able to take it to New Zealand for an exchange in 2009, rode it on the Christchurch and Rotorua nationals tracks (bad decision) as well as hundreds of XC miles.

The headtube finally started to show signs of spider cracks back in October and I pushed it a lil further along by riding it on some more DH-esque trails. Spec was great and warrantied the frame to a Stumpy Evo (only had to pay for the Command Post and kashima RP23).

So stoked on that brand and what they do for pushing our sport.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
use a scott voltage frame...run the 8.5 shock dropout, and run a 7.785 i2i shock...you will end up w/...
110-120mm travel
16.7 CS
somewhere between 63-64 HA (stock is 65)
somewhere around low-13" BB (13.7 is stock)

and can be built down to 31lb w/o much effort when built using the appropriate parts for "AM".

can pick a fr30 up new for $1700, so w/ a complete bike to work off of, its cheaper than most frame-only's out there.
Seattube angle.

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
i really like the idea of the voltage - super adjustable & relatively cheap. i could tweak the geo to perfection, but the seat-tube is too short for full seat extension for me, alas.
no way? are you extremely tall?

it's uninterrupted, and you could shove a full length post down in there no problem...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
no way? are you extremely tall?

it's uninterrupted, and you could shove a full length post down in there no problem...
It is still shortish and even if it wasn't with a shorter shock the angle will be strange.

Last edited:

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
Seattube angle.

stock is 73.5*. i havent the slightest idea of how much a drop in BBH or 1* slacker does to STA...but i haven't had an issue at all w/ it at 64* HA and 200F/180R susp setup. everything i ride, i got to climb up for the most part, so the relatively steep STA has been nice compared to the slacked out STA's of DH bikes.

EDIT: w/ the stock geo stated from the previous post, w/ the 1* slacker angleset in place... i just measured 71* STA, and 13.5" BBH w/ my boxxer stanchions basically pushed all the way down to almost level w/ the top of the crown.

and on another side note, envisioned same thing as the guy i quoted earlier..a slack, fun AM bike...
i'll be making this bike dual purpose w/ the DH components, and will be making it probably 100mm/100mm for a decent DJ and AM bike, or getting a fork that can cover from somewhere between 80-140mm so that i can just swap shock mounts around and have suspension in the rear anywhere from 80mm to 140mm no problem w/ very little geo affect.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
stock is 73.5*. i havent the slightest idea of how much a drop in BBH or 1* slacker does to STA...but i haven't had an issue at all w/ it at 64* HA and 200F/180R susp setup. everything i ride, i got to climb up for the most part, so the relatively steep STA has been nice compared to the slacked out STA's of DH bikes.

EDIT: w/ the stock geo stated from the previous post, w/ the 1* slacker angleset in place... i just measured 71* STA, and 13.5" BBH w/ my boxxer stanchions basically pushed all the way down to almost level w/ the top of the crown.

and on another side note, envisioned same thing as the guy i quoted earlier..a slack, fun AM bike...
i'll be making this bike dual purpose w/ the DH components, and will be making it probably 100mm/100mm for a decent DJ and AM bike, or getting a fork that can cover from somewhere between 80-140mm so that i can just swap shock mounts around and have suspension in the rear anywhere from 80mm to 140mm no problem w/ very little geo affect.
Again it's a question of what you see as AM/trail. I like uphills and a 71 deg ha is closer to my legend than to most am bikes, even the agressive geo ones like the spitty.

I'm fine with some of the ideas but for me at least a trailbike has to be versatile and that means it has to be formfortable when i go on a ride with some of my friends be it on the local flat forest roads or with some enduro guys that want to cover some serious ground. Seat tube angle here may be even more important than the HA/CS correlation.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
My ideal all mountain bike would be as follows:

I'd start with the Cannondale Jekyll. As amazing as that bike is I would add/change a few things. Instead of suspension settings of 90mm and 150mm I'd like lockout, 100mm, 140mm, and 180mm with a matching Lefty. They would be controlled with an electronic switch that could be programmed to cycle through any combination you prefer. This switch would also control the seat post which also with three positions. So with a push of a button you could go from steep and 100mm at both ends with the seat all the way up to low and slack with 180mm of travel and a dropped seat. Oh and around 30lbs.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I want the ****ing Pitch back.

View attachment 110261

no doubt, this bike rips. 65.8* HA, 13.25BB with the lyric at 150mm, short chainstays and 150mm of travel, it's super low and long so it's stable like the DHR. I ride this on local DH trails and it's not much slower than the big bike but in the tight stuff it's a rocket ship. It pedals uphill really well, at 29.5lbs it's light enough for all day epics, its a great backcountry mini DH trail bike (im copyrighting that) this bike is so much fun i really cant see changing anything on it.

Last edited:

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
nope, thats what it measured with iPhone, measured in both directions on pavement and took the average so that's accurate.

edit: that was at full 160mm travel

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
So higher bb than stock with a 160 fork, right? Weren't those built around a 140mm pike? Cool bike, but I think it's replacement has it beat in most areas, save for having a super cheap budget model.

Last edited:

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Just measured mine at 13.45 BB at full 160mm on the Lyric. Last Pitches were made with a 150mm RS Sector and the Pitch Pro's MSRP'd for $2.2K. No doubt that the new Evo Stumpjumper (carbon :drool:) would be a nicer frame than the Pitch with very similar numbers, i think the new Evo stumpjumper comp is pretty close except for the fork, brakes, stem and bars, and wheels.

Upgrades from stock on my 2010 Pitch Pro.

Stans flow rims on DT 240 hubs - Alex rims on Speci Hubs
RS Lyric Mission Control DH Coil U turn - Motion Control Sektor
Easton Havoc 50mm stem and 750mm bars - 60mm Speci stem on 720mm Speci bars
Rock Shox Reverb - Speci post and saddle
X9 shifters F&R - x5 shifters
SRAM pg990 cassette - Cheapo cassette
Avid Elixir CR brakes, 203 F & 180 R - Elixir5 brakes.

Last edited:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Here's Rob's carbon AM bike he knocked up himself in his garage:

When this goes into production, I'm in.

Also, expect a carbon DH in the near future.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
soo....iPhone must be like +/- 1.5 then?
i will just give you the facts.

2010 Pitch with 140mm Pike fork - 67* HA

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=10Pitch

for your benefit, it appears they didn't changed the HA geo figures for the 2011 Pitch with 150mm Sektor on the Speci website.

Mine measures a tad under 66*HA with 160mm Lyric and 2.3 Butcher front tire.

Does that make sense or do you need more help?

Last edited:

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
I was under the impression that it was a crappy shopper bike style trigger rather than a crisp xo/xtr unit?
the feel is by no means that of a high end derailleur but they are a bit different too. more like the feel of shifting a motorcycle if that makes any sense. definitely fast, but you dont feel as connected to the shift as you would a derailleur, where you can feel the shift in your pedals as it is happening and through the trigger.

for an AM bike I want it to be adjustable from a slopestyle bike into a mini DH, slammed stays or 17" stays, full seat tube, run different size shocks with the shock shuttle, 142x12 thru axle rear, super stiff rear end, easy to service bearings, weight 6 pounds with no shock, 66* head tube.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i will just give you the facts.

2010 Pitch with 140mm Pike fork - 67* HA

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=10Pitch

for your benefit, it appears they didn't changed the HA geo figures for the 2011 Pitch with 150mm Sektor on the Speci website.

Mine measures a tad under 66*HA with 160mm Lyric and 2.3 Butcher front tire.

Does that make sense or do you need more help?
If the bb height on their page is waay off compared to what people claim here why can't the ha be?

If It was really 67 + 13.25'' with a 140mm fork I think I'll be hunting for a used one.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
If the bb height on their page is waay off compared to what people claim here why can't the ha be?

If It was really 67 + 13.25'' with a 140mm fork I think I'll be hunting for a used one.
Yeah whoever did the Pitch specs for 2010 got high before going to work that day. travel is also listed at 140mm, but same shock and i2i as the 2011 that is 150mm travel. Anyhow, for the price it's hard to beat a Pitch. Mine, with all the upgrades, was under $3.2k in July 2010.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah whoever did the Pitch specs for 2010 got high before going to work that day. travel is also listed at 140mm, but same shock and i2i as the 2011 that is 150mm travel. Anyhow, for the price it's hard to beat a Pitch. Mine, with all the upgrades, was under $2.8k in July 2010.
I just need a new frame, cranks and stem. The rest I've upgraded just right now. Though 2012 my trailbike will look ridiculous.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Love love love my new '12 Stumpy EVO.. I was looking for a replacement for my Ironhorse MkIII, I knew it was only a matter time before that frame snapped and just sold my Voltage FR as it was just too small for me. I had offset bushes in mk3 and that made a pretty noticeable difference on the mk3, but the evo is just on a whole different level. I'm able to carry much more speed through the rougher sections, without losing much in pedalling. I feel like the new kashima RP23 has lot to do with that, it just feels great. I also really dig the long front end on the evo, I'm used to bikes that feel cramped in the cockpit area(I'm 6'4"), also able to run a shorter stem and still be able pedal. Haven't had a chance to ride it on "dh" trails I'm used to riding on shocker, but so far it's been awesome. I gotta measure the BB height/head angle, I'm running a 140mm pike instead of the 150mm fox/rockshox, so I imagine my bb height is a bit lower than 13.2" and HA is steeper than 67*

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You could have a whole line of DH trail bikes, DH AM bikes, DH road bikes, DH DJ bikes, DH XC bikes, DH CX bikes, DH Comfort bikes, DH kids bikes, DH spin class bikes, DH recumbent bikes, DH SS, DH 4X bike, DH Slopestyle bikes, Dh Enduro bikes, DH unicycles, DH fixies, etc...Everything would be 4* too slack, 12.5" BB height, 14" seat tube (max), chain guide tabs, random gussets, 150 mm rears, 17.5" chain stays, fenders, coil shocks (even on the road bikes), thru axles, and "Approved by Fabien Barel" stickers.
Dude, you forgot the one bike everyone needs in their quiver: A DH Climbing bike. :D