Quantcast

an AM bike you'd like a company to build

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Well, to be fair, I don't ride it a whole lot. I know have 7 two wheeled machines in my garage (1 road bike, 4 mtb's, and 2 motos) and the spitty gets the least use of any of them. But my complaints have nothing to do with wear. Mine should almost no wear right now, nice and tight. The only problem is too tight. The linkage is just a little stiff. Even with the shock off it doesn't really move freely. I've taken it apart, checked to make sure its greased right, tried all different kind of tightnesses on the pivot bolts. It's not terrible or anything, just definitely something I notice while riding. It certainly doesn't keep me from wanting to ride the bike, or hold back while riding it. It's not even bad enough for me to consider replacing the frame any time soon. Just not...ideal.
Yeah, with the shock off I too notice a bit of sticking in the pivots, but unlike you I don't notice it on the trail at all. Maybe bc I'm a hack. ;)

IMO the forces from hitting stuff on the trail are far greater than any sticking and it becomes negligible. It did worry me when I first got it but I soon forgot/didn't care.

As far as the comment about spitty's staying on the ground too much, again Im not too concerned. i'm not a big jumper to begin with so I like the added stability. If I need to loft it, it seems predictable, and it is still nimble enough to rip up twisty singletrack.

Jan 8, 2007
Ladera Ranch
"AM" is a term that describes a huge variance of bikes. It is never going to be a Full blown DH. For me it means if I can only own ONE bike...... and I want to be able to climb some hills, or pedal for hours, but also charge some DH, and maybe some Mammoth trips... then that is an AM bike. 140mm to 160mm FS, with a fairly linear shock rate. Probably an air shock, with a capable fork, Around 30lbs. Maybe 33lbs is you want a coil shock and beefier parts/tires. Head angle cannot be slacker than 67. Really 68 is where it should be.....

I had an 06' Giant Reign. This was 152 mm rear travel, lighter build, Splice fork. This was a GREAT AM bike. Fun to ride, PEDALED GREAT! very capable. But not a DH shuttle bike at all.

So I stepped up to the Commencal 666 LTD to handle some of the more DH oriented stuff(but again it is an AM bike NOT a DH). With many of the same parts, 160mm travel, and a Lyrix fork, and had PUSH tune the RP3 for DH, and 65MM stem so I can climb. The difference is night and day. This bike only has 8MM more travel, but it uses it better..... just gives me more confidence over the nasty stuff than the Giant did. And nothing wrong with the Giant, just different.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I wonder how do they pedal? First looking at the susp they don't look like awesome pedallers but I may be wrong. The geo looks really nice. A bit slack for where I live but in some places it's nice.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I love my Slayer.

Steep seat angle, and I actually do use the adjustable travel on the fork. Even without it, the front end doesn't wander too bad on the uphills though.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I wonder how do they pedal? First looking at the susp they don't look like awesome pedallers but I may be wrong. The geo looks really nice. A bit slack for where I live but in some places it's nice.
I assume you're talking about the el ciclon? looks like it probably pedals pretty damn well to me, I haven't ridden any low single pivots that don't pedal pretty damn well with a 32t ring.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Boy have I looked for the bike that fits the bill. Spitty came close when it was released but yes those bushings:( I also prefer shorter CS. I was all over the idea of the Voltage since I love versatile bikes and and I know the bike rides great but I feel it will be a tad too small and the seat post too short for longer rides and climbing. I have a medium Wildcard now and it's cramped. I should be on a large but I bought it mainly as a jump bike. This has given me a feel for what the Voltage might be like. 1 year ago I would have taken a long Voltage if I could have found a frame but in the last couple of months I have come to understand how many sacrifices I am prepared to make to get the bike I need. Currently on a Delerium which is epic but its obviously too much travel and too heavy to be a trail ripper. I like all the geo posted already - short CS, 66-67* HA, low BB.... but I like a little extra beef to throw the bike off trail features. I keep comming close but to get the beef at a reasonable weight it always puts me in the 160mm travel range. The only other issue I would put in as my personal request is a 17" ST for a large, this would allow me to hit the 4x/DJ trails for some fun.

My ideal bike would then have enough room to be comfortable, 66-67* HA, 13.25"-13.5" BB, 16.5"-16.75" CS, 17" ST with 125-140mm rear travel with the option to run a 140-150mm fork.

My short list is:
Mojo HD 140mm
New Commencal Meta AM
Knolly Chilli or Endo

Really like the idea of:
Specialized Pitch but no luck finding this. Only great reviews for this little gem.
GT Sanction but finding a frame is never going to happen.
Specialized Enduro - again no luck finding a frame only.

Still need to scrutinize the Yeti range. I may only be in a position to pick up a new frame at the end of this year and if I skip this window it will be end of next year. I hope the bike we all wanting will maraculously appear by then.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Off the top of my head, a nukeproof mega may fit your requests. How about a stumpy evo- basically same as a pitch with some improvements. I love mine...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I assume you're talking about the el ciclon? looks like it probably pedals pretty damn well to me, I haven't ridden any low single pivots that don't pedal pretty damn well with a 32t ring.
Never found a good pedaling bike with a pivot that low but tbh I'm just being anal. If you know how to pedal 5 inch bike won't bob anyway.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Never found a good pedaling bike with a pivot that low but tbh I'm just being anal. If you know how to pedal 5 inch bike won't bob anyway.

Btw. If you don't follow dirt maybe this is the answer?

Though I have to say it is a bit different for the sake of it.

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
An AM makulu would also look great.
This is exactly what I want, though it must be made from Carbon and the frame weight should be under 6lbs,
160mm of travel with near exact geometry. If that bike existed, I'd sell the DH bike and have one "do it all"

Sadly, neither the Morewood Sukuma or Jabula fits that bill

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
This is exactly what I want, though it must be made from Carbon and the frame weight should be under 6lbs,
160mm of travel with near exact geometry. If that bike existed, I'd sell the DH bike and have one "do it all"

Sadly, neither the Morewood Sukuma or Jabula fits that bill

I'd rather have a 140x140 or a 110x140 like the distortion but I live further away from the mountains and prefer my trailbikes a bit further away from my dh bikes.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
My idea is that I will soon(ish) have "one bike", so will therefore have something like a CCDBair/BOS Void on a 160mm bike, but I want to be able to build it up to 30lbs dead including a Reverb for the trail days and then a heavier wheelset for DH days.

For that to realistically happen, the frame's gotta be carbon.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
My idea is that I will soon(ish) have "one bike", so will therefore have something like a CCDBair/BOS Void on a 160mm bike, but I want to be able to build it up to 30lbs dead including a Reverb for the trail days and then a heavier wheelset for DH days.

Having a dh bike I consider near perfect and living alone I have the possibility to have 3 bikes with no problems so that solves it. Yes as a one bike 160-170mm would be great.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
What do you guys think of the Cannondale Claymore? I like the idea of the Fox DYAD shock that changes it from a 110mm trail bike to a 180mm FR bike with each setting independently tunable. The change also drops the BB and slackens the geo. It also has two mounts for the shock for even more flexibility. I rode its cousin the Jekyll at the Vermont Mtn Bike Festival last year and the tech seems legit. Plus with those huge linkages and pivots it felt super stiff. But at 32.8lbs the Claymore is a bit heavy for trail bike (the carbon Jekyll I rode was about 27lbs). Maybe they will make a carbon one? But that would make the $3900-$5000 price even higher!

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
I'd rather have a 140x140 or a 110x140 like the distortion but I live further away from the mountains and prefer my trailbikes a bit further away from my dh bikes.
Me too. I've been keeping an eye out for these. Wish that they were ready for production this year.

Ragley 10-4 and G6

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/ragleys-ten-four-and-g-six-full-suspension-bikes-32031

Actually, HA mentioned in this one.

http://cloverleaf.pinkbike.com/blog/Nukeproof-amp-Ragley-Eurobike-2011.html

Last edited:

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces

Carbon Speci Enduro. Standard HA is 66.5* and 350mm BB,use angle set/off set bushings to get the desired Geo, easily built to 28lbs.

big_794.jpg

Last edited:

steveDH

Chimp
Oct 1, 2009
i would love to see a carbon nomad with a 0,5" longer tt! maybe the specialized s-works enduro is the perfect am bike?!

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Carbon Speci Enduro. Standard HA is 66.5* and 350mm BB,use angle set/off set bushings to get the desired Geo, easily built to 28lbs.

View attachment 110278
Funny you should post that. I think I should have gone with my gut instinct and got the S-Works enduro in stead of the Intense Tracer 2.

Don't get me wrong, I love my tracer, but I've never been able to shake the feeling that the carbon Enduro is my ideal bike.

ONly one slight issie, will something like a CCDBair fit? I saw it posted somewhere that getting another aftermarket shock for enduro are hard.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Wow. I really like them. If the prices stay that low it's a serious contender for me.
Yup... I'm keeping an eye out to see when they'll be released..... Checks everything for me except one thing...
I'm not a big "keep up on maintenance" kind of guy. LOVE the 10-4.... as with any parallel link type design... a lot going on down there suspension mech wise.

So, knowing that about myself... and some may rip me on the complete opposite end selection of a single piv....

The Orange 5 is on my short list as well. 67 degr. HA....
Price may come into play here for me..... The Orange is bling dough.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Only thing missing from my current bike is a really steep seat tube angle. If I setup the seat to be in the proper climbing position it moves too far forward when lowered. I slide it back a little to be better on downhills but that puts my weight pretty far back when climbing
Try tilting your saddle at a similar angle to a DJ bike and perch yourself on the nose for steeper climbing.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yup... I'm keeping an eye out to see when they'll be released..... Checks everything for me except one thing...
I'm not a big "keep up on maintenance" kind of guy. LOVE the 10-4.... as with any parallel link type design... a lot going on down there suspension mech wise.

So, knowing that about myself... and some may rip me on the complete opposite end selection of a single piv....

The Orange 5 is on my short list as well. 67 degr. HA....
Price may come into play here for me..... The Orange is bling dough.
Well I don't plan to ride my trailbike through a flood like I did my legend and the bearings held up fine. I have to change 2 this season after 2 years of riding. Not that horrible if you ask me.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Chamois?
er... are you riding 6hours on the road?

most saddles have plenty enough padding ;)

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Sounds ouch but I'll give it a try.
He was kidding. I laughed so hard when I read that.

Try flipping your stem negative, or lowering it a few spacers. Your bars should never be on a plain above your seat on anything but a hybrid cruiser or downhill bike. Get them level or below your seat. These bikes are made for pedaling.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
^I was also kidding. At climbing height my seat is at least 5" above my bars on the FR bike, 6"+ on the trail bike. It's the fore/aft position that forces a compromise since the seat moves forward when you lower it and backward when raised. Keep in mind that a 6'2" rider moves their seat up and down 8" on a FR bike. A steeper ST angle would keep the seat in a more ideal fore/aft position when using an adjustable post.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ha ha... my sides!! you crazy jokers ! ;)

I'm only 5'11" and move my seatpost up by around 11" from slammed to climbing height.
with the saddle tilted, for me the difference caused in reach from raising/lowering it is still manageable, like I said you just need to get used to using the entire saddle. when you want weight forward (for steeper climbs) you need to perch on the nose.

I'm talking about tilting it by about 10/15deg, not turning it into a butt plug.
dunno about anybody else but for me if my saddle's not tilted it'd also feels awful between the knees when slammed.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Ha ha... my sides!! you crazy jokers ! ;)

I'm only 5'11" and move my seatpost up by around 11" from slammed to climbing height.
with the saddle tilted, for me the difference caused in reach from raising/lowering it is still manageable, like I said you just need to get used to using the entire saddle. when you want weight forward (for steeper climbs) you need to perch on the nose.

I'm talking about tilting it by about 10/15deg, not turning it into a butt plug.
dunno about anybody else but for me if my saddle's not tilted it'd also feels awful between the knees when slammed.
I'm thinking you don't know how much 15 degrees is.

Also, how do you manage to pedal the bike with the seat dropped 11"? I'd wager that most downhill pros ride with their seat 4-6" below full height AT MOST.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Also, how do you manage to pedal the bike with the seat dropped 11"? I'd wager that most downhill pros ride with their seat 4-6" below full height AT MOST.
I have always wondered how are pros able to ride with such high seats.
I keep the seat on my DH bike as low as possible without hitting the rear tire at bottom out.

On my trail bike I have a 4" dropper post, but I'd like an inch or two more drop to really get the seat out of way.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC

View attachment 110278
I swapped bikes with a friend last year that owned a carbon Enduro. I found the actual head angle to be 65.5* (it was 66.5* with their travel adjust fork in the low setting).

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm thinking you don't know how much 15 degrees is.

I know exactly what 15deg is thanks, and am not a "downhill pro" without shouting, WTF is your point?

knarrr

Chimp
Jun 5, 2011
Colorado
i will just give you the facts.

2010 Pitch with 140mm Pike fork - 67* HA

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=10Pitch

for your benefit, it appears they didn't changed the HA geo figures for the 2011 Pitch with 150mm Sektor on the Speci website.

Mine measures a tad under 66*HA with 160mm Lyric and 2.3 Butcher front tire.

Does that make sense or do you need more help?
No, I believe you. But I do wonder how accurate the iPhone's inclinometer really is.