Quantcast

Angleset problem

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Couple guys I ride with have M9s. Have to be the loudest bikes I've ever seen.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Big bike= no dice. Did 5+ installations with 2 of the different cups, new bearings, new crown race, ect. Cane Creek dude said I was "doing it wrong.

My bike shop had the same issue on my 2010 Glory, after the 8th time it worked. The design still needs a bit of refinement. Installation should be easier.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
So, how common is this prob? So far I plan to run 0deg cup and go from there; I havent heard a lot of this issue, but it is from some 'reputable' sources.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Anyone else with a dual crown still getting that "pop" when you hit a bump?

I have an Angleset on my Trance X and it's been rock solid. Does everything a headset's supposed to do with no noise, and I only installed it once.

Big bike= no dice. Did 5+ installations with 2 of the different cups, new bearings, new crown race, ect. Cane Creek dude said I was "doing it wrong." Sooo over it. I'm thinking it might go on my Slopestyle instead, but in the meantime the good old XXC flush reducer I had laying around solved the problem...
I had that on a friend's bike and I switched out the lower crown race and micro spacer-ed the dust cap up a little higher and the noise was gone. I have the same bike and mine is fine.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
add me to the list of problem children. Not getting the rock n' pop that M9 riders seem to have, but I am getting a loud-ass click when turning the bars from side to side. I haven't yet, but will pursue reinstalling the gimbals.

So far, I'm in love with what it does. The bike leans more actively, and while it's not readily apparent traveling straight, you can throw it into a corner with aplomb. Somewhat more noticeable than fresh bearings in the rear, a shock rebuild and various other upgrades I did to it...

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
as i mentioned on the FB, i have constant popping on my M9 too
My angleset has been flawless on my M9. I have had many rides in wet/dry conditions without any audible noise or "popping". My buddy also has an angleset on his M9 and hasn't had any issues to date.

-Jasen

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
My angleset has been flawless on my M9. I have had many rides in wet/dry conditions without any audible noise or "popping". My buddy also has an angleset on his M9 and hasn't had any issues to date.

-Jasen
lucky guys then.
several people on here have the same issue. 3 with the same bike, 2 with a different bike....its not limited to just the M9

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Im having problems as well. I'm thinking it is just because the new jersey rocks are just so gnar gnar it was making it popping noise... what do you guys think?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Maybe you can elaborate?

That link didn't have much info. Is it just an angle set for 1-1/8"?
They make a variety of offset cups for different HT configurations.

Before you buy you need to know:
1) HT spec (e.g. upper and lower ID)
2) HT lenght
3) what offset you are after

I've been running the -1.5 offset cups for while now on my Orange Five and they've been flawless.

There site doesn't have much right now because they are building a new one.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Maybe you can elaborate?

That link didn't have much info. Is it just an angle set for 1-1/8"?
they make an angled reducer cup which is single angle...vs. the cane creek which you can switch up. You also have to pick your correct head tube length. The cane creek gets rid of both issues via the gimbals, which us knuckleheads haven't figured out how to seat correctly yet.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I havn't been to bromont at intense speeds with huge rocks,but I've ridden my m9 in some long trails with still deecent roots ( even rode over like a 5" tree that was fallen x2 ) just plowed into it cause my 40 is doing boxxer spring compression noise

long story short no noise from the headset,I have it a bit tight cause I told myself bearings are cheaper then a frame,I also have my pinch bolt tighter then 15 pounds,cause to me it,I dunno just more,If I need to remove my cup i'll use the tool...

No noise for me.

However I hop3 this doesn't jinx me on bromont opener :( :(

I <3 cc.

Last edited:

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
p.s.s I had a shop install mine,,he asked me to come watch etc.
took allot of time,and you should take lots too.
I noticed he used automotive grease for the gimbles??

wat you using ???

Edit,if someone could make a shuttle run with a go-pro so we could hear some of the complaints aka noise.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Edit,if someone could make a shuttle run with a go-pro so we could hear some of the complaints aka noise.
I could get the noise to happen just from bouncing my bike on the back tire, then dropping the front tire to the ground. If I had thought about it, I would've recorded it before I swapped it out.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yep, after a run, i can grab the front brake to do a endo and get the headset to pop.

it sounds like a headset coming loose. is there really need for a video? :confused:

Julio

Chimp
Jun 28, 2002
Brazil
Mine had a lot of noise when riding (M9 frame), then I re-installed the gimbals covered with lot of grease. Did several runs after that with no more noises.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Stupid question but...

Did the guys experiencing problems follow the CC recommended install procedure?

Also

yep, after a run, i can grab the front brake to do a endo and get the headset to pop.

it sounds like a headset coming loose. is there really need for a video? :confused:
Endo is flipping over the bars. Stop doing so. Try nose wheelies....they're cooler.:thumb:
a nose wheelie is not a endo (aka "stoppie")
You guys are cute.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Stupid question but...

Did the guys experiencing problems follow the CC recommended install procedure?
to the T.
followed their video and the less then helpful audio on PB. if i still have the headset when the US Open comes around, ill have them try and install it to see what the results are then.

cutie

edit: it should be noted that the PB article differs from CC's youtube video in terms of installing the top and bottom cups

Last edited:

nybike1971

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
Niskayuna, NY
I had some of the clicking under hard braking or when hitting fast bumps on my trail bike with the Angleset but I just loosened it after a couple of rides and re-tightened it and all the noise seems to have gone away.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
resist the urge!

and that thing you were on wasnt a dh bike. it was a enduro motorcycle.
I will switch to 10" for Diablo Smashin Rocks Mode.

That is if I do anything this week besides sit in my filth and sleep. baah.

Fixing the screaming brake, covering the frame, and de clunking that nutty angleset.

Also, maybe you didnt know, but - I like turtles.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Are the Syndicate V10s using the Angleset, or are they happy with the stock HT angle?
i dont remember seeing one in the pics of their bikes

edit: what cups are you all using when the knocking occurs. ive only tried the +/-1* cup.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
what cups are you all using when the knocking occurs. ive only tried the +/-1* cup.
I tried all my cups. 0, 0.5, and the 1.

A total of 11 tries now. After talking with Pete at Cane Creek, I'm convinced to give it another chance after double checking the facing of my headtube and fork. I could see the frame had been faced from Intense, but I'm going to rule them out.

Like I posted earlier, (and with you on FB) the Angleset on my carbon Trance has been perfect. Went in good, no noise, bike handles awesome, ect. Now after a few days on the M9 with a standard flush reducer, I'm not entirely sure it needs to be slacker...