Quantcast

Angry’s Big Number Two

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
So what’s the plan now? You heading back to the trail?
Yeah, plan is to hike from Delaware Water Gap North, starting next week, through NJ, NY, CT, MA, and possibly VT then that would give me 300-450 moar miles. Leaving NH and ME (except for half of the 100 mile wilderness) to be completed next summer.

Also toying with the idea of finishing the AT by mid July then flying out to Denver to thru hike the Colorado Trail. Of course I would need to take a few days off at @Toshi ‘s place between hikes. :D

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Update:

9/9/24

Picked up the rental car Monday morning and drove eight hours from NC to Stroudsburg, PA to get back on trail where I got off to flip up with Sunshine at Delaware Water Gap. The trail runs through the small town

When I got to the hotel it was in the low 70s and I started getting cold. Broke out my trusty fleece jacket and went to the office to check in. The room was probably in the low 70s as well but I was still cold. Turned the heat on and eventually soaked in the tub to get my core temperature up. Had some bad Mexican food delivered via DoorDash that I didn’t finish. I was getting nervous and couldn’t eat. The inability to regulate my body temperature was becoming increasingly more difficult and giving me reason to be apprehensive about hiking in cooler temperatures. The low the first night was projected to be in the 40s.

Later that night I awoke in a cold sweat. And wound up on top of the bed covers and under my 20* quilt. I was still cold and could barely sleep. At this point I realized that it was definitely not safe to get back on trail.

Made the tough decision to cancel this part of the hike and head back home. I felt crushed, defeated by my own body. Despite the staggering amount of miles I hiked, I couldn’t shake the feeling of disappointment at not being able to continue.

Texted Daytona Mike who is also not hiking but is working at a hostel that’s on the way home. I stayed there for the night and we hung out by the fire and talked about our adventure together and the future. It was good to see my friend, be around some other hikers and hear my trail name again.

I’m slowly starting to accept that this year’s hike is over. And that I have some work to do to fix my health issues.

IMG_5498.jpeg

IMG_5503.jpeg

IMG_5514.jpeg

IMG_5515.jpeg

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
@AngryMetalsmith sorry to hear your hike season is coming to a close - good luck with the health issues. I hope you can step back at some point and feel pride in what you accomplished despite falling short of your goal.

Wonder if it's a thyroid problem?

jumpr

Chimp
Apr 1, 2011
Sorry to hear that you have had to finish the hike for this year, but you have made the right call - your health and wellbeing must come first. I'm super impressed with what you have achieved this year! Maybe you need to plan a trip down under and give the Te Araroa a go https://www.teararoa.org.nz/ (No bears or snakes)!

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
@AngryMetalsmith sorry to hear your hike season is coming to a close - good luck with the health issues. I hope you can step back at some point and feel pride in what you accomplished despite falling short of your goal.

Wonder if it's a thyroid problem?
Thanks BV.

The Nurse Practitioner thought it might be my Thyroid but bloodwork says no. It’s most likely blood sugar related since I’m borderline diabetic. We eat a ton on of sugar while hiking. Something I will have to work on.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
Great go bud! I've been hoping to see you get to the top. Some years ago I knew a girl who went to hike the trail, she made it to NJ and stopped because she fell ill. Come out next summer after a good winter rest.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Thanks BV.

The Nurse Practitioner thought it might be my Thyroid but bloodwork says no. It’s most likely blood sugar related since I’m borderline diabetic. We eat a ton on of sugar while hiking. Something I will have to work on.
Man, cutting sugar out when doing multi-day, let alone multi-month hiking is a pretty tough ask.

Even if you're not a, "chow down on a bunch of Snickers for dinner" type of hiker, dried fruit can be a staple and anything with sugar in it is such a good way to either get bulk calories or a boost when you're lagging a bit.

Guess you've got a project for the winter. Will be looking forward to next year's, "Angry's Third-Time's-The-Charm Thru Hike."

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Man, cutting sugar out when doing multi-day, let alone multi-month hiking is a pretty tough ask.

Even if you're not a, "chow down on a bunch of Snickers for dinner" type of hiker, dried fruit can be a staple and anything with sugar in it is such a good way to either get bulk calories or a boost when you're lagging a bit.

Guess you've got a project for the winter. Will be looking forward to next year's, "Angry's Third-Time's-The-Charm Thru Hike."
Yeah, probably not going to be able to cut out enough sugar but will add more protein to my diet to help. I’ve eaten 3-4 Snickers per day easy and gummy bears by the pound.

The problem might also be caused by vitamin deficiency, poor diet and being depleted of electrolytes. I’m currently taking B12, D3 and C. Thru hiking is incredibly harsh on your body. We essentially do a half marathon or more with a full pack on everyday for months. It really beats you down.

Next year I will probably go back to Delaware Water Gap where I got off and hike North to Maine. When I reach Monson I’ll decide whether I want to continue as a thru hike and do the entire 100 Mile Wilderness then flip back down to DWG and start hiking South. Or I can just skip the first half of the 100 mile and will have completed the AT.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah, probably not going to be able to cut out enough sugar but will add more protein to my diet to help. I’ve eaten 3-4 Snickers per day easy and gummy bears by the pound.

The problem might also be caused by vitamin deficiency, poor diet and being depleted of electrolytes. I’m currently taking B12, D3 and C. Thru hiking is incredibly harsh on your body. We essentially do a half marathon or more with a full pack on everyday for months. It really beats you down.

Next year I will probably go back to Delaware Water Gap where I got off and hike North to Maine. When I reach Monson I’ll decide whether I want to continue as a thru hike and do the entire 100 Mile Wilderness then flip back down to DWG and start hiking South. Or I can just skip the first half of the 100 mile and will have completed the AT.
Nothing other than yourself says how you have to complete it.

I've been biking all bike legal parts of the Colorado Trail since I did my first parts in 2011. Definitely not in order and still have 5ish segments out of 28 to do. No idea when I'll get to them with our likely relocation out of Colorado on the horizon and riding season winding down in in the high country rapidly for this year.

edit: I guess also at the back of my mind I also want to finish Tour Divide one day after I had to bail in Jackson 1000 miles in on my attempt back in 2011, only 1700 miles of that left to do to the Mexican border...

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006