Quantcast

AngryMetalsmith's A.T. Thru Hike Thread

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
The name of the deceased victim has been released. Ronald Sanchez was a retired Army vet recovering from PTSD by hiking the AT. Survived multiple deployments an was murdered on trail. So not right. RIP.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Unfortunately it is not looking good for a NOBO late May start. Currently exploring a SOBO option where I could start end of June, early July. Not how I wanted to do it with a rather anti-climactic ending in GA and starting with the most difficult sections first in Maine. But if the point of all this is to change my life then the direction shouldn't matter.

If I left on July 1 that would give me five more weeks to raise funds and get in even better shape.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I would hitch hike to the trail. Be open minded, give the people what they want. Offer to sing songs about the people for a few bucks here and there, maybe just sing for your supper.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Get yourself to Boston or Portland and I’ll drive you up. Can probably also source a bed up there if you need to wait out a weather system.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Your rocks seem pointy and sharp. I am afraid crashing on them would probably suck and require a certain amount of suffering. Pretty sure actually....
A fall up there could be fatal. I wish I had some pics of the really steep rock scrambles that I had to crawl up. Trekking poles are useless on that trail. First pic is where I stopped to stow them.

I'll try to take moar snappies next time.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
A fall up there could be fatal. I wish I had some pics of the really steep rock scrambles that I had to crawl up. Trekking poles are useless on that trail. First pic is where I stopped to stow them.

I'll try to take moar snappies next time.
No worries. I am risk averse.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Hey Angry i you don't already have one I would suggest adding this to your emergency repair kit

It's the essential gear repair tool, don't leave home without it. It will sew up any fabric, straps, or leather in the field in minutes. I have fixed backpacks( torn seams, ripped off shoulder and waist straps) , tents, and boots with it

and come to think of it you could field repair a torn tire side wall with it and a little bit of duct tape to cover the inside after stitching the slice.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Hey Angry i you don't already have one I would suggest adding this to your emergency repair kit

It's the essential gear repair tool, don't leave home without it. It will sew up any fabric, straps, or leather in the field in minutes. I have fixed backpacks( torn seams, ripped off shoulder and waist straps) , tents, and boots with it

and come to think of it you could field repair a torn tire side wall with it and a little bit of duct tape to cover the inside after stitching the slice.

That's pretty cool, something I could use, but probably too heavy for a thru hike. Looks perfect for replacing worn velcro on mtb shoes.

I've put together a repair kit that includes a mini sewing kit with a few needles and some thread. Whole kit for all repairs is only 2 oz. The mini tool I carry has a small pair pf pliers that can be used to push a needle through thicker material.