Quantcast

Apple's (Doomed) Tablet - Old man yells at icloud

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Texting with both hands isn't a very good option when driving.
When I see people texting while driving I have to struggle to not run them off the road into the closest solid object. I want to carry around a fog horn, lean out the window and blast it next to the inattentive idiot's head.

I just wish there were a way to safely cause them to drive off the road without endangering the other nearby drivers.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As he points out, its not screen real estate in resolution terms but yeah a larger screen at the same resolution is easier to read but not as crisp - you won't gain any actual real estate comparing to the best smartphone resolutions (we'll see 1080p smartphones very soon even)
resolution isn't the only consideration. physical screen size also relates to ease of use. when apps scale up, the buttons get larger, and as such are easier to press. There are games that i wouldn't dream of playing on my phone that i'll only play on a tablet.

This will become more practical/comfortable in non-dedicated tablets once larger OLED and mems displays come out. Staring at a small backlight screen (especially after working on one all day if you use a computer monitor) for a long time is not comfortable and suck in sunlight which is why the leading e-readers have e-ink displays.
which is why we're now starting to see more functionality being build into e-readers, they're going to have to compete with tablets. we may ultimately see the two product segments converge.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
even if you hack it to get it to run android.... still looks like its the hardware that sucks.

WIRED article
i'm partially confused by everyone's burning desire to get android on it. webos is the better platform. Android just has more apps. which yea, is important long term. maybe the time would be better spent porting webos to another piece of hardware.

but yea, hp made the same mistake as palm (with the pre, pre2 and pixi), putting a great OS on underpowered hardware

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
even if you hack it to get it to run android.... still looks like its the hardware that sucks.

WIRED article
It's using a standard Snapdragon SoC 1.5ghz dual core processor scaled down to 1.2ghz, and a gig of memory. It's got plenty of juice in the hardware.

Porting an OS to another device and then benchmarking it doesn't mean the old hardware sucks. There are a lot of variables, including and most especially drivers, that are involved in a port.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's using a standard Snapdragon SoC 1.5ghz dual core processor scaled down to 1.2ghz, and a gig of memory. It's got plenty of juice in the hardware.

Porting an OS to another device and then benchmarking it doesn't mean the old hardware sucks. There are a lot of variables, including and most especially drivers, that are involved in a port.
that's one thing i'm gonna do... figure out how to get a few more cycles per second outta that chip

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
putting it all in perspective:

for $99, the TouchPad can do a lot of awesome stuff. It's a Kindle. For cheaper than an actual Kindle. It's got a killer Instapaper app, PaperMache. Those two things cover like 80 percent of what I do with a $500 tablet. And they're vastly nicer than any of the Android counterparts. It's got a decent Facebook app. You can slap Epicurious on it and use it as a kitchen beater tablet for cooking with. (Or as an emergency carving board.) You can rip TV shows and watch them. And the stock apps for browsing the web and email? They're pretty solid. A cheap couch tablet for dicking around the internet while watching TV. It does basically everything you'd want a tablet to do, and pretty goddamn well, even if it never grows a single new feature after today.
http://gizmodo.com/5833169/the-99-hp-touchpad-is-an-amazing-deal-no-matter-what-your-nerd-friends-tell-you

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
where can you get a TouchPad for $100?
Sporadic. They're popping up here and there - check slickdeals.net for updates - there's a thread here but I haven't been following it:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=3220862

Keep an eye on sites that haven't dropped their prices yet, like CDW. They're probably in line to drop their price.

Also, word is HP is providing a refund for people who bought one at full price.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
i got my confirmation, supposed to ship tomorrow. Worth the wait i guess. Unfortunately I've been reading that there is no native GPS, though wifi location services are not bad, they only work in urban/suburban areas.

not to say there wont be ways to use a bluetooth gps with it, or perhaps even add in a gps module, but the full verdict isnt out on that yet.

also, they run 1.7ghz with relative ease, so the hardware, as said earlier, does not suck. It's actually fairly robust. I would have never bought one for $500, or any tablet for this matter. I was considering hacking a nook color to android, but this is cheaper and larger, so why not give it a shot.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i got my confirmation, supposed to ship tomorrow. Worth the wait i guess. Unfortunately I've been reading that there is no native GPS, though wifi location services are not bad, they only work in urban/suburban areas.

not to say there wont be ways to use a bluetooth gps with it, or perhaps even add in a gps module, but the full verdict isnt out on that yet.

also, they run 1.7ghz with relative ease, so the hardware, as said earlier, does not suck. It's actually fairly robust. I would have never bought one for $500, or any tablet for this matter. I was considering hacking a nook color to android, but this is cheaper and larger, so why not give it a shot.
i got my confirmation yesterday, said it was supposed to ship today. checked my order status & hasn't shipped yet, not that surprised. be patient.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
i got my confirmation yesterday, said it was supposed to ship today. checked my order status & hasn't shipped yet, not that surprised. be patient.
I ordered one too. Apparently it was way oversold by a lot of companies, including the one I ordered from through Amazon.

If the order goes through, it's a pretty good deal on a tablet. If it doesn't, I save $100. I can't lose.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it's #1 because HP is giving full refunds? :confused:
congratulations, you were able to put 2 and 2 together :D

I ordered one too. Apparently it was way oversold by a lot of companies, including the one I ordered from through Amazon.

If the order goes through, it's a pretty good deal on a tablet. If it doesn't, I save $100. I can't lose.
i got mine in saturday afternoon through hp's smb site. Heard mention online that there was a glitch in hp's backend that still allowed orders to be submitted despite a depleted inventory (possibly due to server overload). not sure if i was able to get my order in before that happened (if it's even true). Though I suspect if an order got submitted, before they shut it down, they'd fulfill orders as they were received once they take receive inventory returns.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Honestly I'm betting that once people get their 10, 20, 30, whatever that they ordered to resell, ebay/craigslist prices should drop accordingly. Probably not to $99/$149, but close.

Here's one from our local CL that's $149 (cash) for the 16gb one, close to $99+overnight shipping. Obviously YMMV.

edit: Of course, there are also ones on the local CL for $240 and one for $250 .

Last edited:

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I picked up 3 32GB models off insight.com just before they got shut down (confirmed they shipped). One for myself, one for a coworker, and one for my girlfriend as a "Sorry I said i'd be home by 7 for dinner, but showed up at 2AM piss drunk instead" gift.

Buy.com also has the fancy leather cases for $17 shipped, instead of the usual places for $30-50 for those of you who picked one up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I picked up 3 32GB models off insight.com just before they got shut down (confirmed they shipped). One for myself, one for a coworker, and one for my girlfriend as a "Sorry I said i'd be home by 7 for dinner, but showed up at 2AM piss drunk instead" gift.

Buy.com also has the fancy leather cases for $17 shipped, instead of the usual places for $30-50 for those of you who picked one up.
do you have to use it already, or are you able to save it to cash it in at a later date? :D

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
do you have to use it already, or are you able to save it to cash it in at a later date? :D
Lets just say this is her monthly scheduled gift, with the way this relationship is going.

"I just feel like...I dunno...like you want to go riding or climbing or skiing more than you like hanging out with me"
"Ahh...yeah, well...here! Have a TouchPad!"

:cheers:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
from hp sb:

sold out. orders placed prior to 4am aug 22 will be fulfilled.

which means i'm definitely getting mine (order placed aug 20).

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
from hp sb:

sold out. orders placed prior to 4am aug 22 will be fulfilled.

which means i'm definitely getting mine (order placed aug 20).
yup (i listened to the hold messages too!) i got mine in on the 21st, well before the cut-off

the real question is, will they ship in time for me to get it this week (i paid the whopping $9 for overnight Fedex) because I'm leaving for Germany this weekend and would love to have it for the plane rides, etc... on that trip.

order status still says "ship complete: no"

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yup (i listened to the hold messages too!) i got mine in on the 21st, well before the cut-off

the real question is, will they ship in time for me to get it this week (i paid the whopping $9 for overnight Fedex) because I'm leaving for Germany this weekend and would love to have it for the plane rides, etc... on that trip.

order status still says "ship complete: no"
my status is still pending as well. i leave for belgium next wednesday. would be nice for liz to have it so she doesn't have to take her laptop - but we'll see. i'm taking my tablet so we may just share it.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I ordered one yesterday, we'll see if it flies. Not the best price, but hell, it's Canada. 119.00 plus tax and shipping. No tracking number for the shipping as yet. Just 'order confirmation'...