Quantcast

Apple's (Doomed) Tablet - Old man yells at icloud

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
looks like i'm definitively beat on getting my TP before I leave. I had to rebook flights to Saturday to even have a chance of getting off the east coast, and that means no TP delivery.

I left my work phone on hold with their customer service (HP small business) in order to try to change the delivery address, and was on hold for 6 and a half hours by the time I went home @ 5pm. Today I did the same, except at one point they picked up and I wasnt in my office /facepalm.

oh well, i'll be waiting when I get home.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
looks like i'm definitively beat on getting my TP before I leave. I had to rebook flights to Saturday to even have a chance of getting off the east coast, and that means no TP delivery.

I left my work phone on hold with their customer service (HP small business) in order to try to change the delivery address, and was on hold for 6 and a half hours by the time I went home @ 5pm. Today I did the same, except at one point they picked up and I wasnt in my office /facepalm.

oh well, i'll be waiting when I get home.
Mine just showed up. :thumb:

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Also, I was wrong. It wont be android or webos that takes over. it will be windows. Windows 8 is going to KILL.
I don't care that they mine other OS's for innovation - sincere compliments and all that - what I want to see is something that is stable and better than their previous hack work, and better than what they're duping from [i would LOVE to run a decent and reliable and UNBLOATED Windoze on my Boot Camp partition]

But the single Achilles Heel for Windoze is still in place: Making it work with utterly unreliable hardware mfg's 11,385,232 different 'standards'...

That's what drove me to drink, years ago, when I was getting my MCSE. Every new thing out of a box had something incompatible with the OS, somewhere.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Typing this on my second ipad2 I didn't buy...derp
you don't have to pay for it cuz you're living an awesome life, you're a freakishly well employed dude, or nice toys just end up being left in the back of a cab you drive?

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
iOS was not the first mover and has never had the podium in smartphone OS marketshare.
I know you're going to split every hair on my head, so i'm gonna short this a bit.

Package: iTunes and full integration into their own OS, phone and media player.

Not the OS itself.

Split a further hair and they could all be considered Second Mover.

Split more hairs.

Oh, and the podium thing about Apple is, of course, only recent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone#Manufacturer_market_shares
Be happy.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Oh, and the podium thing about Apple is, of course, only recent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone#Manufacturer_market_shares
Be happy.
You pasted the wrong link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone#Operating_system_market_shares

They never had the podium in smartphone marketshare. The only podium they currently have is single model handset sales which is the model they chose from the start of Apple. It works for them great as a business model just as it did with the PC market. Nevertheless they weren't the first mover and they will never lead smartphone marketshare just as they never led on PCs - they go for the niche ecosystem, not the masses.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't care that they mine other OS's for innovation - sincere compliments and all that - what I want to see is something that is stable and better than their previous hack work, and better than what they're duping from [i would LOVE to run a decent and reliable and UNBLOATED Windoze on my Boot Camp partition]

But the single Achilles Heel for Windoze is still in place: Making it work with utterly unreliable hardware mfg's 11,385,232 different 'standards'...

That's what drove me to drink, years ago, when I was getting my MCSE. Every new thing out of a box had something incompatible with the OS, somewhere.
how familiar are you with windows 8? people are getting it to run on almost anything

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes that sub $200 price point is going to be a game changer for most I think. This includes aapl.
its a combination of the price point and the services offered. amazon has a bit of a one up in terms of services, because you can buy physical goods through them and have them delivered, but more importantly they have their own netflix-esque movie service (with subscription to amazon prime)

and the interface is was built by amazon on top of an old android version, but is all amazon's look and feel, and it apparently flies

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
its a combination of the price point and the services offered. amazon has a bit of a one up in terms of services, because you can buy physical goods through them and have them delivered, but more importantly they have their own netflix-esque movie service (with subscription to amazon prime)

and the interface is was built by amazon on top of an old android version, but is all amazon's look and feel, and it apparently flies
this really interests me. my wife really wants an ipad, especially for our 3 y/o. my mom-in-law has an ipad, and whenever he is over the inlaws house and he gets to use it, there's a letter-writing/drawing app that he loves and has actually really helped with him writing his letters (he drew his first legible "A" yesterday).

if this amazon thing has that kind of stuff on it, hello christmas with $500 extra in my pocket.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
amazon has a bit of a one up in terms of services, because you can buy physical goods through them and have them delivered, but more importantly they have their own netflix-esque movie service (with subscription to amazon prime)
nothing the Ipad doesnt have/doesnt do

if this amazon thing has that kind of stuff on it, hello christmas with $500 extra in my pocket.
the ipad starts a bit lower then $700

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
this far from release, of course its gonna be sketchy. but if they achieve what they set out to accomplish, its gonna be incredible
It's just WAY more than I need. It's big, kinda heavy, and I would prefer my netbook at that point. The Fire I will have to check out. The dual proc hardware means it can run Honeycomb. Not sure I would keep the stock "custom" OS.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
edit: No GPS on Fire, bummer

this far from release, of course its gonna be sketchy. but if they achieve what they set out to accomplish, its gonna be incredible
If it comes from Nokia they'll be able to make it in the EU without slave labor like Apple. Apple has never made any significant (ie non-marketing) effort in changing their contractors (especially Foxconn). If Nokia can do it, so can Apple.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's just WAY more than I need. It's big, kinda heavy, and I would prefer my netbook at that point. The Fire I will have to check out. The dual proc hardware means it can run Honeycomb. Not sure I would keep the stock "custom" OS.
obviously any release hardware would go on a substantial diet

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
interesting... android tabs have grabbed 20% market share. any individual android tab is still a drop in the pond compared to the ipad, but that is way higher of a market share than I expected. Though I expect this will jump in Q4, second gen tabs from the big guys (moto, samsung, asus) will most likely hit for the holidays, and current gen tablets will be getting DEEP price cuts. Expect to see current gen android tabs for $200 (or less) for the holidays.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110811006418/en/Android-Takes-20-Media-Tablet-Market-Share
was partially right on this one; i got the price, but with the kindle, we're seeing (at least one) brand new tablet at this price.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I got my TouchPad about 1 in the afternoon on Monday set it back to factory defaults about 9 in the evening on Monday and sold it at two in the afternoon on Tuesday.

To me it was a lot like the Canon G11 camera that I had briefly. The G11 had enough of the bulk of a DSLR that I never wanted to take it anywhere, but it had none of the ease of use of a DSLR. Simultaneously it had most of the limitations of a compact camera. The TouchPad was big enough that I wouldn't want to take it anywhere I wouldn't take my laptop. And it was just as hard to use as my phone (which is always with me anyway).

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
currently loving my Ipad 3G. never thought i would ever buy one, but my mother gave me hers that she never used since last xmas. i wish it was a bit faster but im thinking IOS5 has something to do with it