Quantcast

Are ipods the be all,end all?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
My bro has an ipod mini, whick he swears by. He dislikes the nano because it's too flimsy. the mini is an actual hard drive and the nano is a memory stick....or something. But since the Mini is no more, is there another player out there? I only ever hear talk of ipods

Mtbkngrl

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
Rochester NY
I like the Nano because it doesn't have the hard drive....Nothing to jiggle around in there when I'm riding or running and it's Impossibly Small:) Since I've become a Nano user, trips to the grocery store and the locker room at work have become 100% more bearable.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I have a Nano (4G) and a Shuffle (1G) (got them both as gifts last year here at work). Pretty nice and no complaints with mine.

Although I have to point out that from the ones that were given out as gifts – a BOAT load had to be return to Apple. Some were defective right out of the box, especially the Shuffles. That is unacceptable for an item in that price range.

With that said, I love mine and use them all the time, but I'm not sure I would of been willing to spend my own $$ on one.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Acadian said:
I have a Nano (4G) and a Shuffle (1G) (got them both as gifts last year here at work). Pretty nice and no complaints with mine.

Although I have to point out that from the ones that were given out as gifts – a BOAT load had to be return to Apple. Some were defective right out of the box, especially the Shuffles. That is unacceptable for an item in that price range.

With that said, I love mine and use them all the time, but I'm not sure I would of been willing to spend my own $$ on one.

Yeah Chris loves his ipod mini. When his car was stolen, he went on a mission to replace it. He finally found one at Future Shop. It was an opened box/return or something. the mini is a good size. I don't NEED it to be THAT small. It just makes it harder to work with! the Creative ones look nice, but iTunes would also be nice to access.

I'm considering one for the car....instead of having a bazillion burned CD's. The ipod+FM transmitter would be nice for commuting. That's mainly what Chris has the ipod for in the first place.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
MMike said:
I'm considering one for the car....instead of having a bazillion burned CD's. The ipod+FM transmitter would be nice for commuting. That's mainly what Chris has the ipod for in the first place.
that is the main reason why I love mine. XM player + iPod is fantastic on road trips.

do not get the FM transmitter tho - all my friends that got one ended up getting the digital cassette thing. The transmitter isn't that clear.

But like I said - if I had to spend my own $$ on a player I might of gotten something else...like iRiver or something like that..

Okay I think I already reached my post limit for today ;)

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Acadian said:
do not get the FM transmitter tho - all my friends that got one ended up getting the digital cassette thing. The transmitter isn't that clear.

;)
Chris's transmitter is pretty good. He went through a few of them until he found a good one. I forget which one he has. I'll check the digi cassette though....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MMike said:
And again....does the acces to itunes make it worth sticking with an ipod?
I've used iTunes quite a bit. While it's not bad (it's got Apple's typically slick interface), it's certainly no great shakes. Why are you stuck on iTunes? There's a hundred thousand other music management programs out there, as good or better than iTunes. I used Musicmatch Jukebox for a while and was very happy with it.

In answer to your question, no, it's certainly not worth buying a piece of hardware because it interfaces with one of a million other music management programs. If you like the iPod, that's why you buy it - not because you can play with iTunes.

That's only one of a dozen iRiver players, by the way.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
binary visions said:
That's only one of a dozen iRiver players, by the way.

It's the cheapest one at Best Buy....

I do use Limewire quite a bit......everyone is dumb though. Just did a search for led zeppelin....Magic Carpet Ride and Smoke on the Water came up.....how are people this dumb?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
MMike said:
I do use Limewire quite a bit......
Anytime I do a search for a band and a song it tells me I am being "to specific". What....

And I don't have an iPod or anything of the sort.......

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
had a creative MuVo player for a while. it was great, but a bit cheap feeling. the headphone jack started to short out and the plastic cracked. just around that time, i was given an ipod mini. while i'm not a big fan of the dial interface (big clumsy fingers :D) it truly is a quality product. great size, wrapped in metal and super tough. it fell out of my pocket while digging at my trail last week. spent the night outside at below freezing temps. found it the next day and it fired right up. that impressed me. i've also dropped it several times, but the metal case protects it.

iTunes is nothing amazing by itself, but i really dig the way i can subscribe and auto-download podcasts. (oh, and transcend... i would definitely listen to a DH podcast :thumb: ). strictly as a music player, iTunes is less intuitive than musicmatch. but the last few MM players were such pigs i stopped using it and grabbed QCD. much better just as a player.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
MMike said:
oh and I guess when you get an ipod, you have access to itunes. Is that just worth it in and of itself?
I got an mp3 player for my birthday last summer. I absolutely loathe iPods and everything about them, so based on that choice I picked up a Creative Zen Touch. Granted its not as small as an iPod, but from the tests I read it has a lot better battery life and the 20GB version only cost somewhere around 215. I have dealt with Creative customer service twice, and both times they were awesome, staying on the phone with me to try and fix an issue, and then telling me to return the player after it froze during a firmware update and was junk.

I also dislike iTunes and want it nowhere near my PC.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Are ipods the end all, in one word 'yes'...There will be those that tell you differently but that is the case with everything. I am honestly tired of the anti iPod movement by some on this board based on principle or some lame gripe. There has never really been a device that is as widely accepted and used as the iPod. They are great because there is endless support for them in regards to knowledge basis, tips, and accessories.

Does it have some issues that might need improvements, sure but anything does. Anyone who tells you that the success of the ipod is based solely on marketing is nuts. If it wasn’t a great piece of equipment people wouldn’t buy them in the numbers they do...

That said i will be purchasing my new Black 60 gb video pod in the next few weeks :drool:...Just waiting for an ipod that is over 100gb's, and dubs as my phone, pda, and party camera...a truly do it all device double :drool: :drool: ...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Are ipods the end all, in one word 'yes'...There will be those that tell you differently but that is the case with everything.
That's just stupid and wrong. Come on, now. This isn't even an anti-iPod thing, but it's ridiculous to call the iPods the singularly superior, unquestionably best digital music player. If you like 'em, fine. But don't make blanket statements that are just plain false...

Are they as bad as syadasti makes them out to be? No. Are they just the best player out there, bar none, as you claim? Absolutely not.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i like my Nano. are iPods the end all, be all? no, of course not.

Samsung is coming out with some sweet, flash-based players. a 6gb is on their site, too.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
binary visions said:
That's just stupid and wrong. Come on, now. This isn't even an anti-iPod thing, but it's ridiculous to call the iPods the singularly superior, unquestionably best digital music player. If you like 'em, fine. But don't make blanket statements that are just plain false...

Are they as bad as syadasti makes them out to be? No. Are they just the best player out there, bar none, as you claim? Absolutely not.
Im saying what im saying because of the support and options that are offered with the ipod, can somebody invent a better mouse trap sure...I personally dont see the iPod empire ending for a looong time...that is why at this point i think it is the end all...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
corey_dcstreet said:
iTunes is nothing amazing by itself, but i really dig the way i can subscribe and auto-download podcasts. (oh, and transcend... i would definitely listen to a DH podcast :thumb: ). strictly as a music player, iTunes is less intuitive than musicmatch. but the last few MM players were such pigs i stopped using it and grabbed QCD. much better just as a player.
:stupid:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Im saying what im saying because of the support and options that are offered with the ipod, can somebody invent a better mouse trap sure...I personally dont see the iPod empire ending for a looong time...that is why at this point i think it is the end all...
Okay.

You're wrong, though.

Do you know what "be all, end all" means? It means there's nothing better. It means that there is no reason to choose anything but an iPod.

Which is wrong. There are plenty of devices that offer plenty of differing functionality, be it battery life, file support, certain functions, ergonomics, size, or just something stupid like color. You're just as far off base as the zealots who claim iPods have nothing good to offer.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
binary visions said:
Okay.

You're wrong, though.

Do you know what "be all, end all" means? It means there's nothing better. It means that there is no reason to choose anything but an iPod.

Which is wrong. There are plenty of devices that offer plenty of differing functionality, be it battery life, file support, ergonomics, size, or just something stupid like color. You're just as far off base as the zealots who claim iPods have nothing good to offer.
Of course i know what it means...What functionality are we talking about, sizes there are 3 ipods to choose from all different sizes. What device to you consider a "better solution" for using as a mp3 player, photo & video viewer, file storage?...list goes on im just saying they have a pretty damn good device that doesnt give people much reason to look elsewhere...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Of course i know what it means...What functionality are we talking about, sizes there are 3 ipods to choose from all different sizes. What device to you consider a "better solution" for using as a mp3 player, photo & video viewer, file storage?...list goes on im just saying they have a pretty damn good device that doesnt give people much reason to look elsewhere...
I played with a Nano for a while in Best Buy. I'd break it. It's just that simple. I'm not kind to things I keep in my pockets. They get bent. They get tossed onto a seat and sat on. They get other large objects tossed in the pocket with them.

Is that my own failing? Maybe. But I'd rather have a device like my iRiver or one of the Sandisk or Rio devices that will hurt my ass when I sit on them rather than being long and thin and cracking down the middle.

I don't really think we need to get into this. If you haven't seen lots of other devices that offer functionality as good or better than the iPods, and other reasons to buy them, then you simply are unaware of the functions of other digital audio players on the market. Sorry, there's no better way to put it - it boils down to ignorance. Syadasti is no less wrong for being a zealot on the other side of the board.

I'm glad you love your iPod so much, everyone should be happy with their purchases - especially expensive ones. It doesn't make it right for everyone though :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
binary visions said:
I'm glad you love your iPod so much, everyone should be happy with their purchases - especially expensive ones. It doesn't make it right for everyone though :)
Totally agree...we both know we could go back and forth forever on this and it has been beaten to death in the lounge...that said, Go Buy iPods people, and subscribe to Transcend's DH industry podcasts...

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
For a while I was all set on getting a Nano..........however BV introduced me to the Sandisk Sansa m200 flash players. The m200 players out perform the Nano with price and battery play time, so for the price of one Nano I can get both my wife and I a nice 1 gig Sansa player.

Now I will say, I did (and still do) buy into the whole iPod style deal, they have mega cool points and still wish I could afford to drop $200 on a player.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm still using a no-name mp3 player I got from ebay for 20 bucks. It's been through the laundry, stepped on, dropped, flown across the country and across the ocean, holds about 8 hours of tunes, and cost about 1/10th of any ipod. Sorry but ipods are not the end all of anything. More power to ya if ya like yours but jeez... end all?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Andyman_1970 said:
Yeah you guys are the lounge version of me and Old Man G Funk in the PD forum...........:cool:
No way man I don’t really argue about much except, ipods, how much American cars suck and ummm good vs bad music...Usually pretty easy going...

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
if I'm not mistaken the Ipod Nano is there most durable dependable version. (besides the shuffle, but you can't even see what you are listening to, no screen to mess up) (wasn't there a thread not too too long ago, where someone just destroyed a Nano and it took quite a bit of effort, running it over with a car and such?)

I'm a big fan of the Ipod for it's versatility. I don't know of any other one out that does everything and so easily.

I dream of a 4g Nano and a 60g VideoPod, I'm still rockin the old skool blue screen.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Castle said:
if I'm not mistaken the Ipod Nano is there most durable dependable version. (besides the shuffle, but you can't even see what you are listening to, no screen to mess up) (wasn't there a thread not too too long ago, where someone just destroyed a Nano and it took quite a bit of effort, running it over with a car and such?)
Every flash player in the world has been run over by a car and they generally all survive intact. It's become this stupid test that everyone looks at and says "Ooh, they ran it over with a car so it must be strong!" when in fact, flash based players are supremely hardy and are generally very difficult to destroy (see Echo's post). That test isn't even a good one, since it exerts a lot of weight on the device but it's not a shock-test (since the pressure is exerted slowly), and the rubber tires are not as likely to crack the case.

The problem with the Nano is that they designed it to be long and thin which allows you to exert quite a bit of leverage on it. You can bend it between your fingers.

Any flat contact (like running it over with a car, or chucking it up in the air to hit the ground) and it'll survive fine. Put a marker or something down on a table, put the Nano centered over it, and press down on each end. SNAP. That's a pretty good simulation of several real-world scenarios where the Nano isn't the strongest device out there. If I did that with my iRiver T30, I'd break my fingers, and the marker too. And those scenarios are much more likely to happen then, say, putting your iPod flat on the ground and dropping a large, flat object onto it. "Oops! My bookshelf fell over onto my music player! It's a good thing I've got a Nano!"

When you buy a flash device, you can usually depend on it being pretty durable. Maybe 1 device in 10 is designed poorly and couldn't withstand a lot of stress.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Castle said:

I'm a big fan of the Ipod for it's versatility. I don't know of any other one out that does everything and so easily.

I dream of a 4g Nano and a 60g VideoPod, I'm still rockin the old skool blue screen.
finally someone on my team.