Quantcast

Avy Cult!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Hey who's running the independent hi/lo compression adjuster now and whats your thoughts?

Just got the HI/LO added and rebuilt with lengthening for the Canfield F1.

I'm getting mine back tue and Craig said he's machining the needles inside the adjusters down a little to allow for more adjustment. Apparently its more noticeable and effectice as well.

No one mentioned that the new hi/lo was a free upgrade with purchase recently, BTW the dhf7's are under a grand now.

Forgot how bad a shelf shock feels till I rode around a little on that fox that the canny came with, CAN'T WAIT TO GET THE AVY ON.

Its amazing how spoiled you get riding them and forget just how nice they are.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah still not bad, sometimes quality exceeds quantity.
I went from an 11"travel armageddon to 9" canfield F1.
Besides which for at 1k is doable in the same category for huck/race. 888's are now more and boxxer wc is still up there, can't compare a team to the avy, not fair to boxxer. :D

I have a 888wc and I am happy for the moment, but the shock aspect is a totally different animal. I have had 4 avys now and sold em in the past with past bikes but the one I own now I will send in and have redone for its application.
As far as I stand right now, I will not run another rear shock other than the avy. Unless its getting rebuilt or serviced and I need to ride then I'll temporarily sacrafice some plush riding for some riding till its back. :D

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Yeah but are them there forks that much better then others in there price range. Although they are inveted which is always fun.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah but are them there forks that much better then others in there price range. Although they are inveted which is always fun.
Craig without a question has put some extremely reliable and absolutely amazing products into the Mtn bike arena. His forks have gotten rave reviews. In their category at a grand they are untouchable.

People think the more travel you have the better, Ivan Stewarts trophie truck has 16" of travel front and rear and still kicks a$$. He runs the likes of the Herbst brothers, manny escara, gordon and more all with the amount he has. Its a cross between control and balance.

BTW: Hawaii rules, kokohead marina extreme adventures and a guy named chuck. Goofiest dude you'll ever meet but an absolute blast to hang with.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I found that the hi/lo adjustment feels the best with the hi speed almost cranked and the lo speed almost all the way back out. It ramps up real well on big drops but is super plush on the small stuff. It doesnt buck me on dirt jumps with this setting too.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I found that the hi/lo adjustment feels the best with the hi speed almost cranked and the lo speed almost all the way back out. It ramps up real well on big drops but is super plush on the small stuff. It doesnt buck me on dirt jumps with this setting too.
Damn Kanter you beat me to it. Good to hear it works.
I found out the supposed Double Barrel sucks on bikes with higher leverage ratios, not that I care but I found it interesting.

I will weigh my DHS against my fox dhx 5.0 tuesday/wed and see exactly the difference in weight.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
to answer (or at least reply to) the fork Q, I can't really say the avy is worth the cost (DHF HK). Not to say it isn't great, but you can get a very very good fork for less.

Regardless, I love my fork. It's not a racer, it's not light, and it probably doesn't pedal very well. It sucks up bumps really, really well, and doesn't leave me feeling tired at the end. I love it for DH riding, and I won't sell it unless I need money or I start racing competitively and can't afford a second bike.

I do think they make you a better rider, and I don't think anything else on the market compares.

But are you riding or racing? That's your answer.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i've had the hi/low adjuster on my racelink for a good 7months. worked amazingly well. and felt completely different then the stock avy. well worth the upgrade.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by sandwich
I do think they make you a better rider
sandwich please explain your reasoning behind this statement. no component is going to make you a better rider. all that it is going to do is give you more confidence so that you can make yourself a better rider. now if that was what you were refearing to then i appologize for my previous statement, but the way you worded that its like saying the bike makes you a better rider, and well we all know that it doesnt.

ohh and bull crew glad to hear that your enjoy your new canifield. those f1's are deffinatly hawt rigs. i cant wait for the review when your spine decides to heal. get well man.

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
I had the hi/low adjuster on my Chubie for 7 months before I sold the bike it was on. I loved it. Worked amazingly well. I now have it on my Race Link, and love it too. I had the low speed adjuster in nearly all of the way, and turned the high speed one in about a full turn? Something like that, set up was awesome. Running my Race Link nearly the same way and I love it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
sandwich please explain your reasoning behind this statement. no component is going to make you a better rider. all that it is going to do is give you more confidence so that you can make yourself a better rider. now if that was what you were refearing to then i appologize for my previous statement, but the way you worded that its like saying the bike makes you a better rider, and well we all know that it doesnt.
You're right, I was a little drunk at the time and I used an overused phrase.

It doesn't make you a better rider, but I think it allows you to ride at a higher level, like a better rider. It rolls over bumps better and clears rocky sections with less rider input. I believe you're less fatigued at the end of the day than if you were on a lesser fork. I'm an average rider at best, and the DHF definately saved my hide a few times. Take that as you will, but I am pretty satisfied with my fork.:monkey:

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Riding my MTN-8 has given me more confidence than when riding smaller forks - and it has made me a better rider especially on scary landings (atleast it feels like it). Simply a matter of trust. To know that you can trust your gear 100% is a large confidence builder resulting in going bigger...

Reptile

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Colorado
Damn Kanter you beat me to it. Good to hear it works.
I found out the supposed Double Barrel sucks on bikes with higher leverage ratios, not that I care but I found it interesting.
Haven't directly compared (on the same frame) the Avy shocks to the Cane Creek Double Barrel, but for me, anyway, the Double Barrel was a phenomenal and easily adjustible shock on both the VP-Free and Turner Highline.

I have ridden the Avy Chubie on a Santa Cruz Nomad and really like it - just not as well as the Double Barrel on my other rides.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
A shock with seperate hi/lo cannot be compared to a regular shock. The adjustments theoreticaly give it a completely different feel upon compression (small bump and big hit compliance). So the DB against the chubie in a regular ride test is a little biased, The DB against the dhx/chubbie or monty with the hi/lo is more on par.
Both great shocks, I'm just an Avy fan do mainly inpart to the extreme reliability and the fact that they are not as heavy as fox people claim them to be.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by sandwich
It doesn't make you a better rider, but I think it allows you to ride at a higher level, like a better rider. It rolls over bumps better and clears rocky sections with less rider input. I believe you're less fatigued at the end of the day than if you were on a lesser fork. I'm an average rider at best, and the DHF definately saved my hide a few times. Take that as you will, but I am pretty satisfied with my fork
that makes total since man. that what i thought you were saying but i wasnt sure so i figured i would ask. i totally agree that a better fork will make the ride a lot more enjoyable, but i personally dont think that the dhf is so much better than a 888 or one of the new boxxers. IMO i think that they are all on the same playing field as far as performance its just some tend to weigh a little less for the racer boys like me.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
A shock with seperate hi/lo cannot be compared to a regular shock. The adjustments theoreticaly give it a completely different feel upon compression (small bump and big hit compliance). So the DB against the chubie in a regular ride test is a little biased, The DB against the dhx/chubbie or monty with the hi/lo is more on par.

The Montie is not available with the hi/lo, only the DHS and piggyback shocks.
http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/hilowadjuster.html

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
I have never ridden an avy fork.
I heard that they have a 65mm offset though (the axle is 65mm in front of the steerer tube).
The Marz Monter T (2002 and older) also has a similar offset and corners badly for this reason (has a tendency to tank slap.

I love the Avy rear shocks but I wouldnt consider running the DHF forks for this reason.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I heard that they have a 65mm offset though (the axle is 65mm in front of the steerer tube).
The Marz Monter T (2002 and older) also has a similar offset and corners badly for this reason (has a tendency to tank slap.

I love the Avy rear shocks but I wouldnt consider running the DHF forks for this reason.
I cant tell you if the forks have this offset (dont bother to meassure) but I can tell you that after having tried out most Avy models it is not a problem I have encountered.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA

yea, they do have the moto style offset. but it actually feels like it turns better. hell i can have my bars at a full 90 degree turn (parrellel with my top tube) works great. don't knock it till you actually tried it.

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
Been using a vanilla DHS for 7 months now on my Karpiel, still feels great. However, I cannot justify getting a high/low speed compression insert until I find a decent solution to my 2002 boxxer, which at present is a pogo stick.

RogerH

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Sweden
AVY SUCKS!!

Once you get used to that perfectly tuned consistent damping, long service intervals and quality of constuction... How could you be satisfied with anything else?!!

I kind of agree about the huge rake, though. Pretty sketchy steering going super slow through turns, like North-shore type trails.
And you really have to wrestle the handlebars to get the thing turning at high speeds!

But you get used to it. And wide 710mm bars help! :)

One DHF 7ti, one chubie and one montie here. They're nice! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003

Hi there bushy,

The avy's have a 1.5inch offset from steerer tube to center of fork legs, then 1.42 inchs from center fork legs to center of axle, = 2.92inchs = approx 75mm offset.

yea, they do have the moto style offset. but it actually feels like it turns better. hell i can have my bars at a full 90 degree turn (parrellel with my top tube) works great. don't knock it till you actually tried it.
I have found the opposite.

I went from 02 monsters (65mm offset) to 06 boxxers (45mm offset) and the difference in steering was very noticeable. I like the feeling of the boxxers better geometry/steering wise. The large offset makes the bike twitchy at low speed and a bastered to turn at high speed, I had to run a 65mm stem to help counter this.

I wish craig would offer a second crown option of less offset, i love the avy stuff but that offset is too much for my liking. The racers DHF should have a shorter offset crown. 75mm offset is not race bike spec imo.

Mine is setup opposite. Its obvious you have set yours up for big drops etc. I have mine setup a bit more racy, low speed cranked in to stop it bobbing, high speed back off so it sucks up the bumps, and im using 5wt oil to make it a bit more damped.

The hi/low speed adjuster is def. a worthwhile upgrade, completely changes the tunning options for the shock.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
cave dweller

i like both setups. but yea, i think i've gotten more use to my boxxer WC, not good for riding to the DH trail i want to hit though. slow speed/sharp turns are out of the question

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
cave dweller

i like both setups. but yea, i think i've gotten more use to my boxxer WC, not good for riding to the DH trail i want to hit though. slow speed/sharp turns are out of the question
That is one thing i miss about the monster, but the boxxer kills it for everything else. Like i said, i wish he had the option of a shorter offset crown for racer types.

Another thing i wish was an option is an alloy shaft on the rear shock. The avy with an alloy shaft would be almost the same weight as the DHX and roco, if not lighter. For people that don't really need or want the steel shaft (ie racers, lighter guys, trail riders) it would be a great option, and would make alot more people consider them.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
from what I understand, craig makes his parts his way and that's that, whether we like it or not.

I think there's plenty of possible upgrades for these things, but they work pretty darn well the way they are.