Quantcast

Best East Coast Race Bike

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I really don't see many Jedis in the east except for at the NY Comic-Con.
But seriously I see very few of them
They arent as popular is sundays or bighits, that is for sure, but every jedi is bought on purpose with lots of thought, as opposed to, "well the bike shop told me to get this" or "sam hill has this" Might be the only 1 here, but i seemed to notice ALOT more canfields this year than previous, it seemed like i saw 1 or 2 every (race) weekend, compared to seeing 1 in the last 2 years i had mine.

Maybe not the most popular bike, but certainly chosen for a reason.

PS i did a horrible job explaining that but its the best i could muster up.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
everything.

"East coast" geometry typically means steeper HA and higher BB, with shorter CS. That doesn't mean good riders prefer any of that.

I think something with good braking, since there are plenty of steep AND rocky sections...but everything else is user preference.

Seems like a lot of people out here are liking Jedis...

What on earth?
The geometry you just described would be ideal for XC... Maybe even all Mountain.:think:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
dude what? I didn't say 69HA and 15" bb....I just said steeper and higher, typically, than other DH rigs.

Historically trail rigs use steeper/higher geo for east coast specific riding....seems to me that translates DH wise as well...most of the trails I find are typically tight and rocky rather than WFO with big hits. I don't think most people would prefer a 62HA and 12"BB if they compared it to a 64/14" BB

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Here is your east coast bike.
And your every coast bike.

Adjust whatever you want on it. Go low bb and steep HA for the dirty bird. Low and slack for snowshoe, or high bb and slack HA for the US Open course.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The obvious answer is to support the companies that support the scene.
Pretty much everything on the market is totally badass right now.
If I were in the market, I'd pick up a bike from one of the local companies that have people who are passionate enough to go to the races, race themselves and support everyone who races their brands.

When everything costs about the same, works about the same and has damn similar geometry, I'd choose to spend my money directly supporting the people who support the scene. That's real value.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Pretty much everything on the market is totually badass right now.
If I were in the market, I'd pick up a bike from one of the local companies that have people who are passionate enough to go to the races, race themselves and support everyone who races their brands.

When everything costs about the same, works about the same and has damn similar geometry, I'd choose to spend my money directly supporting the people who support the scene. That's real value.
The new F-Bomb FB-10 by Frank looks promising. Can be setup as 6" or over 8" for full on DH. FTW When will it be out?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
The new F-Bomb FB-10 by Frank looks promising. Can be setup as 6" or over 8" for full on DH. FTW When will it be out?
It's out already. A couple of us have a few on order. First batch is being shipped out in a week or 2, but headed mostly to Europe. Another batch will be ready in about a month, and will be earmarked for the U.S. If you want one order soon, they are selling fast from my understanding.
Can't ask for better service or passion than what FTW gives you. How many companies will let you talk on the phone for as long as you want with the guy who welded AND designed your frame?

Last edited:

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
Pretty much everything on the market is totally badass right now.

Agreed.
Xprezo Cycles Furax DH. East Coast...well...Canadian east coast. Passionate. Innovative. Amazing customer service. Beautiful craftsmanship. Waaay fast.

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
From what I understand they released the f-bomb last year under the Sinister name and the redesigned one (FB-10?) will be from Frank The Welder Racing. As much as I would like an f-bomb I am lusting over the slalom frame Frank's working on

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
they sold a batch last year and from what i know Frank is still working on the redesign for this year
The design has been finished and when I talked to him 2 weeks ago he was in the process of fabbing them, they might actually be done by now. If there not done already, its probably a matter of days. He has all the final geo specs on the FTW website. The 10's are a little different. Longer and slacker I believe, the addition of an XL size, and a little different tubing from the looks of it.

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Agreed.
Xprezo Cycles Furax DH. East Coast...well...Canadian east coast. Passionate. Innovative. Amazing customer service. Beautiful craftsmanship. Waaay fast.
By next season there should be at least one more option. This one is for a 100% Massachussets designed and made DH bike...
I hear a bunch of liberal eastcoast-anti-establishment intellectual commies with a penchant for didactism are behind it, and ****, if that ain't kind of spooky, I don't know what is...

We should have the rear end re-designed and ready to go next week.

Expect to see one under another very fast New England pro at the USopen, and production bikes some time next summer.

ProjectX;
Brought to you by the geeks at Spooky, and the Dr. Moreau of Splitpivot technology, Dave Weagle

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
looks gude dood. Any news on havefaith's megadeathboxslamjam?
Cassius is on the shelf ready to go whenever we can justify scheduling it into production at the shop and building some weird fixtures for it.

If someone paid a lot of money for it, we could build real soon.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
The design has been finished and when I talked to him 2 weeks ago he was in the process of fabbing them, they might actually be done by now. If there not done already, its probably a matter of days. He has all the final geo specs on the FTW website. The 10's are a little different. Longer and slacker I believe, the addition of an XL size, and a little different tubing from the looks of it.
I do not have mine yet (XL no less), but was told I would have it shortly. I expect it to be her early to mid April. Just paid off the balance of the thing.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
By next season there should be at least one more option. This one is for a 100% Massachussets designed and made DH bike...
I hear a bunch of liberal eastcoast-anti-establishment intellectual commies with a penchant for didactism are behind it, and ****, if that ain't kind of spooky, I don't know what is...

We should have the rear end re-designed and ready to go next week.

Expect to see one under another very fast New England pro at the USopen, and production bikes some time next summer.

ProjectX;
Brought to you by the geeks at Spooky, and the Dr. Moreau of Splitpivot technology, Dave Weagle
looks like a Glory and a Sunday had a baby

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I do not have mine yet (XL no less), but was told I would have it shortly. I expect it to be her early to mid April. Just paid off the balance of the thing.
Nice nice. Ya I should have mine in that batch too I think. Or the next one. I told him no rush since I won't be able to ride till August anyways. I mailed the first check last week though. Very excited. Waiting to hear back from them and the powder coaters about an interesting idea I had. It's gonna blow this forum away.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Nice nice. Ya I should have mine in that batch too I think. Or the next one. I told him no rush since I won't be able to ride till August anyways. I mailed the first check last week though. Very excited. Waiting to hear back from them and the powder coaters about an interesting idea I had. It's gonna blow this forum away.
You do know the roots of the FTW are at Plattekill, right. So in your thinking it will only be good for smooth boring stuff. :rofl:

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
I think Rodney King said it best, "Everyone has their own preference. Stop listening to yourself and just pick which one you like."