Quantcast

BMW 3 Series or Audi A6???

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
A6.
I drive an A4 Quattro. My very good friend had a 330i. We both preferred driving my car. I'm not a huge fan of BMW, but if it were a better deal I'd admit it.

As far as used and repair $$$ ... remember that if you choose a A6 2.7t you may be looking at replacing the turbo someday. My $.02 ... by a very low mileage turbo, or a non-turbo, or better still a CPO car from an Audi dealer so any repair issues are covered.

edit: definitely invest in winter wheel and snow tires too! :thumb:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
My wife just got rid of an AWD 3. We live in upstate NY at the top of a fairly nasty hill. With a good set of snow tires, her 325xi did great. The only realy downside to it is the low ground clearance... though that's going to be the case with either of these cars.

IMO, audi's quatro is a better AWD system than is BMWs. If snow performance is your primary concern, go with the quatro. However, for most people, the XI will probably be fine.

IMO, the BWM, while being a blast to drive, was a bit over rated, and definitely no bargain. To me, it's very hard to take the slight advantage German cars have in performance over the clear advantage Japanese cars have in reliablity/longevity.

Out of curiosity... why are you comparing the 3 and the 6? They are different classes of cars. The 3 series is more comparable to a A4, while the 5 series compares better with the A6s.

Matt H

Monkey
Aug 8, 2005
Maryland (Baltimore area)
Neither, unless you live in Europe or enjoy overpaying for cars. the exchange rate isn't favorable for the US market right now, and the German automakers are making sure the US consumers pay for that exchange rate (and then some) whether it be increased price or decreased quality out of the box.

Audi/BMW design standards are at a 20 year low, Audi's reliability is a running joke as is their customer service. Also, their warranties change without notice. It's also worth mentioning that Audis depreciate like perishable food, which is going to hit worse if the US dollar strengthens against the Euro.

If someone held a gun to my head and forced me to drop $50K on a car, and on one of these, I'd recommend the 3 series over the A6. Are they still making the Xi in 3 series? If you live in snow country, you should have AWD or FWD.

I will say Audi is doing well with the 2.0T and the DSG transmission.

Good luck with your decision, whichever way you choose.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
The Audi for sure...it's 2nd on my list for my car replacement...behind the Loremo - too bad I don't think my #1 choice will be sold in North America before I need to replace my car...

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
beemer homey. they are way hotter looking cars and they handle both. i have had time behind the weel of both of them and have also done multi hour trips in both of them.

mmmmmmmmm BMW

Matt H

Monkey
Aug 8, 2005
Maryland (Baltimore area)
I agree with Norco...I grew up in Vermont, and I'd get an SUV as well.

While AWD cars are great, there's still a ground clearance issue. Even in Maryland, we have issues with cars turning into snowplows.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Kopiklokoli said:
My friends dad has an Audi S4, we take it driving up in the hills sometimes, it is hands down the most fun car i have ever driven, thats including a BMW 330CI.
Be aware... an S4 has no business being compared to a 330. If it's a newer S4, you're talking about a 350hp and 350ft/lbs V8 compared to a I6 that's probably 75-100 or so hp and ft/lbs less. The older S4s (I believe) were twin turbod V6s... not sure about the hp/torque ratings, but probably way out of the league of a 330.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I don't want the gas mileage of an SUV and anything in my budget will have **** for interior. I have a truck and used the 4wd maybe 2 times this winter, I live in Burlington VT, and its like a city, so roads are always plowed.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Anyone who doesnt know that BMW's arent fwd doesnt deserve to own one. Honestly if you are looking at new cars the Subaru Legacy 2.5GT limited outperforms both the 325xi and the A6 3.2, it may not have the panache but its also cheaper and mroe reliable. Road and Track just did a comparo of 8 differed awd drive sedans, I would find that and read it if I were you. They tested the A4 not the A6, The A4 is the 3 series's direct competitor, not the A6. I havent driven the new generation of 3 series's, but BMW's in general have a great rock solid feel. Despite what anyone says and Audi just doesnt feel as good as a BMW. Ive driven a fully equipped A4 with the 1.8T and its really just not that great. The tranny feels the same as in my 1000 dollar vw, the power is acceptable but far from impressive, and the steering is too light. The new 2.0T should offer some improvement as far as power. The Suby may not have the intanglibles the other two have and not everything about is perfect, but it matches the power of the 330XI and the 3.2 A4 for thousands of dollars less. The A4 3.2 starts at 35,000, the bmw 330XI starts at 38,500, and the suby starts at 28,800. For me thats an easy choice. Go test drive all three and see what you like. Also worth noting, most Suby dealers will install a Cobb tuning chip in the 2.5GT that gets you to 300hp while maintaining the warranty. I think the chip and install are a little over a grand.

To those advocating SUVs, unless you are trying to plow through deep snow theres nothing an SUV can do that a awd car cant do just as well or better. Plus during all the time you arent plowing through snow you dont have to drive some slow ass gas guzzling turd.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
TheInedibleHulk said:
To those advocating SUVs, unless you are trying to plow through deep snow theres nothing an SUV can do that a awd car cant do just as well or better. Plus during all the time you arent plowing through snow you dont have to drive some slow ass gas guzzling turd.
have fun carrying 4 bikes, 4 people, tools, gear and camping equipment in a WRX

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I have gone on 3 1/2 hr trips with 4 bikes, people, and a huge parking lot tent in an Outback. And have gone on the same trip in a Jetta with 4 Bikes and camping gear, tools too. Roof Racks own.

Dan

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
rockymt21 said:
I have gone on 3 1/2 hr trips with 4 bikes, people, and a huge parking lot tent in an Outback. And have gone on the same trip in a Jetta with 4 Bikes and camping gear, tools too. Roof Racks own.

Dan

i should have said comfortably

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
Being in the industry I would definately stay away from the Audi. I know how difficult it can be to fix those cars sometimes and even the local dealer comes across problems quite regularly that they just can't seem to fix. That would expain the massive depreciation in an A6 that makes a used one comparable in price to a used BMW lower on the rung but from the same period. I would go with a Subaru or a late 90's Volvo AWD sedan if I were you.
Just my 2 cents.
Remeber when you look at ownership costs that there is more to cost than the labor rate at the shop, you need to know how much labor is going to be required to keep the car running.
And stay away from the newer cars with networked computer systems! Real expensive when a problem in a computer arises!

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
The only BMW's I have found for less then 13k aren't the xi versions. Is the xi something relatively new that I wont be able to find in a car thats in my budget?

Dan

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Yeah, I am still in Highschool....

I have found plenty of 3 series around year 2000ish for like $12.5k. Which is tempting but the awd is really something I need.

Dan

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I was going to get a WRX before looking into the Audi and BMW. But they just looked too small. I am 6'4'' and need a decent amount of room. Plus im a big interior guy, I love the BMW/Audi interior but don't find the Subi's as nice. I'll check them out I guess, what would you guys recommend? Legacy?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
rockymt21 said:
I was going to get a WRX before looking into the Audi and BMW. But they just looked too small. I am 6'4'' and need a decent amount of room. Plus im a big interior guy, I love the BMW/Audi interior but don't find the Subi's as nice. I'll check them out I guess, what would you guys recommend? Legacy?
:thumb: good call...

I was looking at sti's/s4's and just couldnt get over the rice feel of the sti, its a beast but i like style as well...Eventually i decided i should wait longer than 1 month out of school to buy a car that $$$ and got a jetta vr6 :think:. Sort of regret not buying the s4 in the pic at the top.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I would just keep the truck since the $4k you're about to lose will buy a lot of gas. Other than fuel costs, everything about a BMW/Audi will be more expensive: insurance, taxes, repairs etc.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Yeah, thats one thing is I don't like the rice, I like the nice classy looking cars, such as the Audi. I want the Audi, give me the Audi!!!

Why do all cars have to suck so much?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
rockymt21 said:
The only BMW's I have found for less then 13k aren't the xi versions. Is the xi something relatively new that I wont be able to find in a car thats in my budget?

Dan
You wont find a cheap xi, my dad just bought a cpo xi...It is a great car, and the awd is really impressive (PA snow). I always get on him about the styling, telling him my eventual s4 will barry him...:evil:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
rockymt21 said:
Yeah, thats one thing is I don't like the rice, I like the nice classy looking cars, such as the Audi. I want the Audi, give me the Audi!!!

Why do all cars have to suck so much?
What exactly is your price range? Get a b5 s4! Talk about style!