Quantcast

BMW 3 Series or Audi A6???

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Ok,

So all my Ideas have pretty much been shot down. Theres still a possibily of a Subura Impreza depending how big they are, but my new plan is to get something under $10k (reliable) and buy a trail bike so I can get into better shape. For under $10K I need something AWD, decent amount of cockpit room, not a slug, fairly nice interior and be able to hold roof racks, if not the be able to fit a bike with the wheels off or something inside. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks for all the help, Dan

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
That leaves you basically 2 options. Impreza 2.5 RS or Legacy 2.5GT, between 96-99 and with about 50-100k miles. The 96-97s had problems with head gaskets, not a huge deal except for the fact that you have to pull the motor to change them. If you are lloking at one of those, check to be sure it has already been done. For 10g you should be able to find a 98/99 though, which had the problem fixed. Two of my friends have 97 Legacy GTs and they are pretty nice to drive. Not fast but repectable and the motor uses it horses well with a nicely torquey feel.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Matt H said:
Well, it doesn't rule out Audi completely. The new ones look like something that belong in the circus, but I do love the old ones particularly the B6 S4, C5 A6, and B5 S4/A4 series....you just need to go into these cars with ALOT of cash down to offset the depreciation and be prepared to sell quickly in case any major issues are detected. You can pick up a B5 S4 for less than $20K now, throw in a $10K turbo upgrade, a $1K clutch upgrade, and a $1K timing belt replacement for good measure, and you've got yourself a kickass car that looks better than anything on the road worth less than $50K right now (not to mention, probably faster :) )

But you have to go into this knowing it's a project, subject to variable costs....In my opinion, they aren't daily drivers to be relied upon 100%.

Man i think you have had 2 of the most intellegent posts i have seen on this board, great summary of audi vs SUV's...

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
rockymt21 said:
Ok,

So all my Ideas have pretty much been shot down. Theres still a possibily of a Subura Impreza depending how big they are, but my new plan is to get something under $10k (reliable) and buy a trail bike so I can get into better shape. For under $10K I need something AWD, decent amount of cockpit room, not a slug, fairly nice interior and be able to hold roof racks, if not the be able to fit a bike with the wheels off or something inside. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks for all the help, Dan
Dan, I've been in subarus (particularly Outback wagons, and WRX's) and I'm about 6'3-4". They definitely seem like they would easily have enough room in the front area to fit. The back seat area (at least on the WRX) seemed fairly small and wouldn't be extremely comfortable to sit in for a long time, but driving it would probably work out just fine. :)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Matt H said:
JRogers....how is Middlebury treating you?

I grew up near Middlebury and went to HS there.
It's good times. I go to Middlebury College. Graduating in two months, though. I wsh I could stay, but life goes on. The area kind of gets ruined for me in a way because all my time is spent working or being otherwise occupied with college life, but still, it's been fun. I spent last summer up here working for near nothing but had an awesome time riding and swimming all the time after work and on weekends. No plans yet, but I wouldn't mind staying in the area.

Anyway, back to the discussion. Subaru of almost any kind would be a good option. I mean, hell, it seems like every other person in Vermont has one for good reason. I have a Forester and like it a lot. It can fit a bike inside or a few on the roof. It has enough space for me to carry tons of crap or sleep in the back if I want. Also, I like that the interior is quite functional and made out of practical materials because I use it to carry my dirty self and dirty bikes all around. Every Subaru I've been in was roomy in the front but smaller in the back seat than you'd figure. It might not be as fun to drive a Subie over the Audi ir BMW, but they are great on dirt and in the snow and they can last forever.

Matt H

Monkey
Aug 8, 2005
Maryland (Baltimore area)
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Man i think you have had 2 of the most intellegent posts i have seen on this board, great summary of audi vs SUV's...
Thanks man....

Unfortunately, I'm well versed in the downsides of Audi ownership!!

Re: Gas mileage....Toyota is now claiming 30mpg highway with the Highlander, and close to 30mpg with the Rav4. The only Audis touching those numbers are the ones running the 2.0T (assuming you have a light foot and don't call on the turbo very much).