Quantcast

Bode Miller - what a joke!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
all the hype around this guy cracks me up. What a joke.

He wins a few races gets all hyped up by the press, gets a big sponsorship from Nike and then sucks major ass at the Olympics.

Just saw that he got DQ'd again for the combined event (whatever the heck that consists of) for straddling a slalom gate. Seems like this type of mistake is a common occurance for our "star" Bode. :rolleyes:

What a bum.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I have less respect for the America’s Star of the Ice. She did one trick in practice and quit. I feel really bad for the alternate, who should have been there in the first place. ASI hasn’t even competed on an international level in 2 years. That being said I’m not really a fan of ice skating.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
and bode was seen out slamming beers at midnight the night before the men's downhill. not the first time but i guess he was probably pretty tired during the race. way to represent the US, bro

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The Toninator said:
I have less respect for the America’s Star of the Ice. She did one trick in practice and quit. I feel really bad for the alternate, who should have been there in the first place. ASI hasn’t even competed on an international level in 2 years. That being said I’m not really a fan of ice skating.
Michelle Kwan bowed out due to injury in time for an alternate to come in a compete! I admire her for that. :thumb:

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I just read an article on Bode, i think it was in Mens Journal... he is quite cocky .. I didnt like him from the start.. if your going to be like that you better be damn sure and place well... now he looks like a choke artist

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
The dude got 5th at the Olympics in an event (the DH) where people win or lose by .005 of a second. What an ass hole.

EDIT: Just checked the news... damn, sucks for him, he was kicking the other dudes ass when he ran the pole over with his ski. When it popped up it was on the other side of his ski, he didnt exactly straddle it. He just cut it too close. I think the flak he is taking is undeserved. Just because Nike wants to put out ads and whatnot doesnt make it him a choke artist. Sounds to me like his run was far from a choke. He was just pushing the envelope and it just didnt go his way. Probably if he had hi that pole 1" to the other side it would have been fine.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
SkaredShtles said:
You officially SUCK for not putting *SPOILER* in your subject line.

:eviltongu
Unless you NEVER check a news site while you surf, there is no way you'd avoid a spoiler before the event airs. It right on the front page of most major news sites.

J

JRB

I Are Baboon said:
Does anyone else have no idea WTF Bode is talking about in his Nike commercials?
Like I said, I don't even know who Bode Miller is.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I Are Baboon said:
Unless you NEVER check a news site while you surf, there is no way you'd avoid a spoiler before the event airs. It right on the front page of most major news sites.
I'm not checking news sites just for that reason, Numbnuts. :mad:

This is the first spoiler that has crapped on me. :angry:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I Are Baboon said:
Hell, NBC has been announcing most of the winners before they even air the event.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I Are Baboon said:
Exact reason why I will know absolutely nothing about what is going on in the real world for the next couple of weeks.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
I'm not checking news sites just for that reason, Numbnuts. :mad:

This is the first spoiler that has crapped on me. :angry:
What does it matter??? Who the hell is Bode Miller???

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
BikeGeek said:
Hell, NBC has been announcing most of the winners before they even air the event.
Watching the prime time tape-delayed events is almost too painful. The commercial breaks every five minutes are RE-FRIKKIN-DICULOUS. The live events on the USA network and MSNBC are great! Few commercials, they show the entire event, and it's LIVE. I think one of those channels will air the Canana hockey game tomorrow.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
There is something like 8 hours of continuous hockey coverage tomorrow on the USA Network, MSNBC and CNBC..........I so want to call in with "olympic hockey fever" tomorrow!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I Are Baboon said:
Watching the prime time tape-delayed events is almost too painful. The commercial breaks every five minutes are RE-FRIKKIN-DICULOUS. The live events on the USA network and MSNBC are great! Few commercials, they show the entire event, and it's LIVE. I think one of those channels will air the Canana hockey game tomorrow.
For the first time I'm fairly annoyed that I don't have cable. :mumble:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
There is something like 8 hours of continuous hockey coverage tomorrow on the USA Network, MSNBC and CNBC..........I so want to call in with "olympic hockey fever" tomorrow!
I think the team USA game aginst Kirkinblakkastan is like 3:00 our time. I might have to ditch work early.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The Toninator said:
She should have never went, she wasnt in shape and she was very injured. 'They' let her go because she is ASI.
They "let" her go because she has won two silver medals in the Olympics, and won nine straight National Championships.
It was either go with her and all her experience or take a chance on a young kid. They made the easy choice.
Now, she bowed out in plenty of time, and the other girl will be there and ready to skate.

As far as Bode Miller, there is nothing wrong with his results.
That 5th place he got in the DH was well earned.
The problem with him is his mouth.
When you come across that cocky, the only way you can look good is to win. If you don't win, you stand high upon the chump podium for all the world to see.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Jeremy R said:
As far as Bode Miller, there is nothing wrong with his results.
That 5th place he got in the DH was well earned.
I agree. I'm probably the only one here who doesn't hate Bode Miller, but I think 5th is pretty good. And even he said that he was happy with his run and the guy who took gold totally deserved it.

So many people are quick to make excuses for why they didn't take home gold. Bode made none. I think that's commendable.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Jeremy R said:
<snip>
When you come across that cocky, the only way you can look good is to win. If you don't win, you stand high upon the chump podium for all the world to see.
The refreshing thing is that I'm pretty sure that Bode doesn't care if people put him up on the chump podium. :thumb:

I personally thing he's doing his own thing for his own reasons, which I respect. I also think that he's toying with the media alot of the time, which I respect too. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
amydalayna said:
I agree. I'm probably the only one here who doesn't hate Bode Miller, but I think 5th is pretty good.
You're not the only one. He's been a brilliant skier (and a bit unorthodox) for *years* - he's really pulled out some insane wins. And the thing is - Bode is good at *all* of it. :thumb:

Kind of reminds me skiing-wise of a pre-injury H. Maier.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
amydalayna said:
I agree. I'm probably the only one here who doesn't hate Bode Miller, but I think 5th is pretty good. And even he said that he was happy with his run and the guy who took gold totally deserved it.

So many people are quick to make excuses for why they didn't take home gold. Bode made none. I think that's commendable.

No you can coun't me too. But then again you and I actually spend time on snow.

You guys dissing on miller have every right to do so about his mouth. But the truth is you obviously have no clue about how good a skier he is. He's consistently one of the top 5 skiers on the planet. He belongs on the us team. Do some research beyond the gossip pages.

J

JRB

So this guy is a skier??? Is there anything else interesting about him???

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
amydalayna said:
He's super fast. Like wayyyy fast.
And people don't like him because he's sure of himself. and sometimes he likes to enjoy a beer or two,
Obviously he wasn't fast enough, or accurate enough with his skiing at the Olympics.

My thread primarily was commenting on all the hype that was built up around this guy, when in reality, he's a great skiier, but not the end all and be all of skiing by any means.

Hence, all the hype and his lame finishes. And 5th is good and all in some people's eyes, but it isn't even good enough to get a medal of any kind. And then he goes and gets DQ'd for his next event.

In my book he'll just be some skier who couldn't live up to the hype.

Oh yeah and what the heck does Nike make or sell that involves skiing anyway?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
MMcG said:
Hence, all the hype and his lame finishes. And 5th is good and all, but it isn't even good enough to get a medal of any kind - so in reality it isn't very good at all. And then he goes and gets DQ'd for his next event.
what lame finishes? Like taking home overall world cup titles?