Quantcast

Campers

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
mmmm...empty nest....
Then you’re old and decrepit and walk the 100 feet to the paved edge of the trail overlooking the Grand Canyon.

The time to travel is when the kids (and presumably you) are young-ish.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Then you’re old and decrepit and walk the 100 feet to the paved edge of the trail overlooking the Grand Canyon.

aw hell naw. if i'm old and decrepit in 9 years you can come put me put of my misery. i ride harder now then i did 10 years ago, and i'll be able to ride a lot more once i'm rid of those little fuckers.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Wrote this for another forum I'm on, figured it was worth sharing for any of you hooligans considering wandering.

5. If you intend to start a website or Instagram with the hope of gathering a following, start it way before the trip to start engaging an audience. If you wait until the trip starts, you are already behind.
Do you have an IG for your trip?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm whatever age I am now, but had to acquiesce to the DSO this year as wife badly wanted a dog.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

Fvck that, I started traveling in an FJ40 with a tent at 18 skipped rug rats stayed with tents until 52 when we got the camper and I am still traveling all over hell at 62. I have no intention of stopping or becoming a decrepit old fucker anytime soon.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

There's a whole lot of truth to that. We ran into many older couples who told us they wished they had traveled more when they were younger as their health had declined to the point where they could no longer do what they wanted to do.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
There's a whole lot of truth to that. We ran into many older couples who told us they wished they had traveled more when they were younger as their health had declined to the point where they could no longer do what they wanted to do.
I’ve seen them in my own National Park escapades. Old people… are everywhere

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Some guy on the RV forum just stated that I shouldn't tighten or loosen a nut or bolt with my racheting torque wrench as I will wear it out. WTF should Ido with it then? Keep it on the peg board all nice and shiny? I am going to use the hell out of it.
71514844_2961891600494497_3215516872053096448_o.jpg

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Some guy on the RV forum just stated that I shouldn't tighten or loosen a nut or bolt with my racheting torque wrench as I will wear it out. WTF should Ido with it then? Keep it on the peg board all nice and shiny? I am going to use the hell out of it.
View attachment 137444
I tighten, but use my breaker bar to loosen. I broke a torque wrench once on a stuck bolt. Breaker bars are cheaper.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
It was more for leverage in a tight spot where I could not use arm strength. It was less than 50 foot pounds. I was not going to go out and buy a same length breaker bar for one time use on two bolts. Rather spend that money buying good tacos for lunch all week

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
The water level indicator on my fresh tank stopped working. I had to take the camper off the truck anyways today so that I could take it in for new front tires tomorrow. I popped the access hatch and the problem was obvious. Broken hot wire. Strip, solder and tape five minute fix and it's fixed
IMG_20190929_151115892_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20190929_152705826_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20190929_152637017_HDR~2.jpg

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
View attachment 137444
Tighten loosen with regular ratchet handle. Set torque with torque wrench. You WILL "wear it out" in the sense that it will go out of calibration sooner. You are additionally increasing the likelihood that you will accidently damage it / screw up the cal.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Tighten loosen with regular ratchet handle. Set torque with torque wrench. You WILL "wear it out" in the sense that it will go out of calibration sooner. You are additionally increasing the likelihood that you will accidently damage it / screw up the cal.
This one lives under the back seat of the truck it's function is torquing lug nuts on the wheels. Breaking two nuts once is not something I am going to worry about. My expensive torque wrench on the work bench is a whole nother matter.