UK MFG wants to start selling these campers in the US

View attachment 144518View attachment 144519View attachment 144520
There's already something similar over here, not cheap:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
There's already something similar over here, not cheap:
These are slide in campers with a starting Base price for the shell/camper body at $10,000 empty and they will sell it to you that way or customize the interior as you want (with the price going up of course).

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Any of you sparky types have opinions on two 6 volt (golf cart) batteries wired in series vs. 2 AGM 12 volt batteries wired in parallel?
my deep cell batteries shit the bed, and my local Napa guy was talking up this 6 volt conversion. Any of you running this?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
With 2 12 volts if one goes bad you still have 12 volts. AGM can be put in anyplace at any angle no checking the water no venting needed. Golf cart are cheaper and you might be able to discharge them more. but unless they are AGM you have to stay on top of the battery water level. and if one goes bad you are SOL.

I run 2 12 volt AGM and they have been running for 10 years now (Lifeline AGM)

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I’m running 2 6 volt agms. It’s a new trailer so I splurged. Would do Trojan t105s next time. I am keeping mine hooked up to solar so they stay charged. It’s what I was told to do.

It’s quite the dilemma. Camping and road trips is what I love for vacation. But I feel like a bunch of mouth breathers are gunna ruin it this year.

I’m running 2 6 volt agms. It’s a new trailer so I splurged. Would do Trojan t105s next time. I am keeping mine hooked up to solar so they stay charged. It’s what I was told to do.

It’s quite the dilemma. Camping and road trips is what I love for vacation. But I feel like a bunch of mouth breathers are gunna ruin it this year.
Why solar as opposed to connecting the trailer to 120 VAC and letting the converter do its job?

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Why solar as opposed to connecting the trailer to 120 VAC and letting the converter do its job?
It has a better charge controller. Something about 5 phases vs 3 for the converter. So it charges at a high voltage. It also has settings for battery type. It’s also better that it’s getting charged or can get topped up if it needs it all day, any sunny day.

Saves me a cord and doesn't let my batteries go dead. Is it actually better for them, maybe. But the voltage is higher and seem to stay that way longer. Most of my battery problems come from neglect.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
‘67 at folks place outside Detroit.
Id drive it there every other weekend from Chicago to take care of my dad, who had a long fight with cancer.
Would camp out by nearby trail system during riding season.

1847AF76-40B0-43A3-8E5D-17AFE540BB6C.jpeg

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Oh we are. They just usually have to wait for a gigantic life destroying forest fire to generate them.

Which, must like american stupidity, have become pretty reliable in the area.
blame instagram....

fuckers always posting fire shots....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
With 2 12 volts if one goes bad you still have 12 volts. AGM can be put in anyplace at any angle no checking the water no venting needed. Golf cart are cheaper and you might be able to discharge them more. but unless they are AGM you have to stay on top of the battery water level. and if one goes bad you are SOL.

I run 2 12 volt AGM and they have been running for 10 years now (Lifeline AGM)
:stupid:

I have 2 200Ah agm's. No idea what my drain is yet since I still have fans to install and run the fridge for a while to see.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

a shitter/shower in 144 inches....actual trim work around rear windows....odd.....extruded aluminum frame cabinets would be lighter....

still think it would be cool to make a trailer out of a wrecked in the front 170 inch high roof....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What's with the stupid bumper on that thing? It's not going on anything extreme, so why add a few hundred lbs?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ha, right thread.

IMG_20200509_102244.jpg

Faucet still on the way. Also ordered a 7" split screen monitor and 4 cameras. The one I ordered has cool side mount ones that I hope will work out.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It's to spill the poop on the hardwoods when the new owner drives down 'average dirt road' after that newly found confidence those bumpers afford.
i always wonder what wood cabinets in these campers look like after a couple thousand miles on washboard fire roads.....like they end up a pile of kindling on the side of the road....

not a fan of mad max bumpers....

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
What's with the stupid bumper on that thing? It's not going on anything extreme, so why add a few hundred lbs?
Can't speak for them, but in my case, one of the biggest benefits to a large steel bumper like that is protection from an animal strike. Helps ensure that clipping a animal in a remote location won't take out the radiator or intercooler and render the vehicle immobile. Solid recovery points and winch mount are additional benefits, but secondary IMO on a rig like that.

This only applies or course to a well designed and fabricated bumper. Those heinous Road Armor monstrosities you see gracing the front of every bro-dozer will just fold and render it a moot point.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Holy hell, it's actually coming together.

IMG_20200510_145649.jpg
IMG_20200510_145743.jpg

Need to adjust the hinges, but I ended up having to add 1/4" to each side of the frame to mount them.