Quantcast

Campers

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
so i was watching a video on this guys buildup of a 2019 ford ranger with a gfc camper top and whatever turbo gas motor and the auto 10 spd trans....

10 fucking speeds.....hmmmm.......nope.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
so i was watching a video on this guys buildup of a 2019 ford ranger with a gfc camper top and whatever turbo gas motor and the auto 10 spd trans....

10 fucking speeds.....hmmmm.......nope.
No inherent reason they can't be equally as reliable as ye olde 4 speed. The 9 speed FWD transmissions haven't fared well, but the ZF longitudinal-engine 8 speed has been just fine, for instance.

A beefed up version of the GM/Ford (joint venture) 10 speed is going into the Super Duty pickups, btw.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
No inherent reason they can't be equally as reliable as ye olde 4 speed. The 9 speed FWD transmissions haven't fared well, but the ZF longitudinal-engine 8 speed has been just fine, for instance.

A beefed up version of the GM/Ford (joint venture) 10 speed is going into the Super Duty pickups, btw.
at some point it must feel like a cvt transmission....forever feeling like it is lookong for a gear....

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
My dash has spun aluminum inserts, if only I could get that done.
the layout would be a bitch, I’ve made some spun aluminum (hint you don’t spin it). But I meant scotch bright pad it. I wouldn’t do it either too much work. Unless I just sprayed it with brake fluid.

on another note. Fuck I want to go camping and on a road trip. This sucks haveing a brand new camper and I can’t use it. Well I’ve used to self isolate from the kids, and to get them away from Karla. Also me and Karla broke in one of the twin beds. But I want to do that stuff somewhere else. Fuck.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There are a few guys on the forum stripping them. Mine has 42 coats of paint on it. I'm just trying to get it all level so I can do my paint job. Lots of block sanding done, still way more to do.

My dash is really pimp and I haven't put it in because I'm scared to fuck it up. :rofl:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
It is however, bulletproofed, so that goes a long way towards remedying the 6.0L woes.
Van 6.0 stayed at the International oem set up of 250 hp and had few head gasket issues Ford internally bumped the pick up engines to 325 hp which the head gasket was not designed for. Still had the same problem with chafing wire harness and crappy EGR cooler. We are still running two 6.0 diesel E350 ambulances with close to 400000 miles on them.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

That camper on a SRW F-350 doesn’t seem wise, even before the 37”s.

Most SRW F-350 crew cab configurations with the 6.7 are right around 3,000 lbs payload.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
the newer SRWs in the std cab are actually rated higher than 3000. the main limitations are the load rating of the tires. The sway is due to the flex of the 37s sidewalls. no way around that. The wind noise is poorly fitting door weather stripping. The addition of $10 of stripping from home depot onto the door itself fixes that ( OEM stripping is on the body only, I did that fix on my rig). The only difference between the SRW and the DRW is 2 more tires and wheels. the other components are exactly the same. You are not going to overload the springs, brakes or axle. The 6.7 rests right over the front axle and really doesn't add any load to the rear axle. Conversely the camper adds 90-95% of its weight to just the rear axle. Empty bed and the rear will scale at around 3000. so right off the bat you are near 7000 or more on the rear axle

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
From the Ford link, which already subtracts 150 lbs for each seat in the cab.

35D4D0F6-6E94-4449-98D0-6468D7D4ACA5.jpeg

2813 or 3751 lbs payload for the long bed crew cab SRW. The short bed crew cab Tremor package is probably most comparable to the bro-truck and that’s 2810 or 2910.

DRW F-350 rated at 4967 lbs. (optional is if one elects to have a 1k lower GVWR for some unfathomable reason)

Oddly the F-450 is rated lower, at 4513. Go figure.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Rating on the F450 is to avoid needing a Class B Lic to drive it. most of the ratings are bases on taxes and Lic class plus insurance costs and registration costs to drive sales and are not based on engineering capability. GVWR is usually just under the OEM Tire ratings for a reason. All DOT gives a damn about is are you over the tire or axle rating did you pay the proper weight registration fee for the vehicle as loaded and are you driving within your Vehicle Lic Class (A, B or C) the door pillar sticker means nothing to them.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Odd that the officially published payload rating is so low, its 4,400 lbs on my Ram. Then again this discussion has raged on aplenty in other forums about the various figures published my each company and what is true vs not.

I wouldn't hesitate to run 37s with a camper, so long as its geared properly. Got several friends who do in fact, with no reported stability issues. Only problem is, in order to carry those loads, your tire options become limited once you move into 35"+ territory and you'll likely end up with a mud tire.

Hell, give me the AEV Highmark flares, some decent suspension/swaybars, and I'd be comfortable running 40s.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Tim, that section in the Ford pdf has this modification to the raw payload for what I showed, camper weight:

Cargo Weight Rating shown in chart is maximum allowable, assuming weight of a base vehicle with required camper option content and a 150-lb. passenger at each available seating position
So for a Crew Cab I’m assuming 750 lbs axed via this reasonable correction.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Tim, that section in the Ford pdf has this modification to the raw payload for what I showed, camper weight:

So for a Crew Cab I’m assuming 750 lbs axed via this reasonable correction.
What a weird way to do it. I'd rather know the rated payload and subtract out my passenger/cargo weight. But hey, whatever hauls their boat.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What a weird way to do it. I'd rather know the rated payload and subtract out my passenger/cargo weight. But hey, whatever hauls their boat.
They report the raw figure as well, too. But I think this way is more reasonable for Joe Sixpack, who will otherwise load his crew cab up with his family and then pop on a camper at the max nominal payload.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
IMG_20200426_140826.jpg

Full ceiling installed with lights. I am out of fasteners, about a dozen short. I had ordered another bag of 100, but who knows when they will get here. But I got above the bed done.

I installed a USB port in the top of the bed. It's above the shelf I put in. Genius.

I need to find the foam gaskets for my marker lights. The driver's side is too tight to get to with the bed installed, but nobody has one. Napa said a shop in Longview should have them, but they aren't open until Monday.