Quantcast

Campers

What kind of outdoor burners do you guys use to cook on? We cant decide if a regular burner, or a griddle or a grille is best. Ideally we want something that mimics a home stove... so we can boil water, etc...
I don't like to do more than boil water inside, the pod has a two burner gas stove. Don't want grease spatter and all that in such tight quarters.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I have a Coleman single burner I keep in the camp for coffee purposes. Then I bring a two burner Coleman for cooking in the bed of my truck. I want to upgrade to a “partner steel” stainless stove that’s rebuildable and made to clean. Hooks to either a tank or bottle. Also they have a wider one as the Coleman is tight with two skillets. I have a old style Coleman 3 burner that’s got a propane converter. It’s big and clunky to use.

I’m interested in getting a small stainless grill. Home Depot has one and my trailer has a propane quick connect. Normally I cook over the fire and that’s fine but my last couple trips had some windy nights or a bunch of trash in the fire pit.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
What kind of outdoor burners do you guys use to cook on? We cant decide if a regular burner, or a griddle or a grille is best. Ideally we want something that mimics a home stove... so we can boil water, etc...
Have a regular Coleman camp stove and a single burner camp chef. The camp chef is pretty sweet, you can get a million different accessories for it, griddle, grill, pizza oven, whatever you’re into. Definitely get the two burner unit though, the single is nice but the griddle is a wee bit small if you’re cooking for more than a couple people

Cooking outside FTW! I cook outside as often as possible, why wouldn’t I do it while camping too?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
We have a two-burner propane cooktop in our sprinter with a griddle that fits over both burners perfectly.

We have a vent with fan right over the stove, which helps minimize vapors and mess. Sure it's nice to cook outside, and we do that a lot, but when it's raining or cold, being able to stay inside is great.

For what it's worth I've always thought that grill pans are sort of stupid.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I have a Coleman single burner I keep in the camp for coffee purposes. Then I bring a two burner Coleman for cooking in the bed of my truck. I want to upgrade to a “partner steel” stainless stove that’s rebuildable and made to clean. Hooks to either a tank or bottle. Also they have a wider one as the Coleman is tight with two skillets. I have a old style Coleman 3 burner that’s got a propane converter. It’s big and clunky to use.

I’m interested in getting a small stainless grill. Home Depot has one and my trailer has a propane quick connect. Normally I cook over the fire and that’s fine but my last couple trips had some windy nights or a bunch of trash in the fire pit.
I've got a Partner stove and it's pretty sweet. Only gripe is the bottom is just a flat piece of aluminum, which means it's always off kilter on a crumb or wonky table.

That, however, is easily remedied by a few minutes with a drill, rivnuts, and adjustable feet.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Worst part of camping is having to empty/flush/clean the cassette toilet after it's been percolating for a week in 90+ freedums.

Just did ours.
Luckily my Newmar coach has one hell of an automated flush system for the black and grey water tanks. I use clear elbows on the sewer line in order to see how things look and usually I can get it looking like clean water within 10 min.

An old trick I learned for other toilets and smaller black water tanks is to dump a good portion of dish soap in the bottom of a clean one and it will make the next clean and flush super easy.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I’ve been useing a squirt of dish soap. I really don’t mind dumping the tanks. I watch the clear elbow with sick fascination to see what came out of me.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Black tank > Cassette toilet, ef dealing with a cassette. Black tank with a built in fresh water flush makes life super easy.

Unsure if these actually do anything, but I use them https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016V2B1Z8/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=0c8894e8c8c0907a15582513253c2a65&hsa_cr_id=2569315260301&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=f7673deb-e2cf-4aa6-a7a5-45d6fe28f166&pd_rd_w=PAm9e&pd_rd_wg=RkW3G&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_1_img and have not stunk up the camper, so I'm not messing with success.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I use those packets sometimes and sometimes I don’t. I’ve never really had any stinky problems either way. Gotta be careful of the vent fan it can pull air the other way down the vent pipe.

the time we a whole bunch of raw garlic, I still get wiffs of that when dealing with the black tank. That may never come out.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Those small tide pod drop in thingys are nothing more then detergent. You will always be better off with having a big bottle of dish soap handy as it is the same thing but cheaper and usually smells better than the RV variants. The key is to have a few gallons of water in the empty tank when you start and as you travel as it will break down any solids and create a foamy mess in the tank. The dish washing detergent helps coat and break down the surfaces of the tank and allows the contents to flow smoothly out the lines if you dont have a macerator or pump.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Those small tide pod drop in thingys are nothing more then detergent. You will always be better off with having a big bottle of dish soap handy as it is the same thing but cheaper and usually smells better than the RV variants. The key is to have a few gallons of water in the empty tank when you start and as you travel as it will break down any solids and create a foamy mess in the tank. The dish washing detergent helps coat and break down the surfaces of the tank and allows the contents to flow smoothly out the lines if you dont have a macerator or pump.
The water also helps avoid the dreaded paper pile.

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
we leave for our first camping trip on Sunday. Only 2 nights, and only about 45 mins away, but it will let us work out any kinks in our setup...

I love that the lower bunk folds up to make the storage area bigger.. I was able to squeeze 4 bikes in, and if the wifes bike wasn't a cruiser it would have fit too...
IMG_2511.jpeg

and I found this suction cup shower holder, works perfect for the outside shower...

IMG_2503.jpeg

IMG_2501.jpeg

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I’m about loaded up to leave tomorrow. Heading to bend then to McCall Idaho for my nieces wedding. Trying to find something for Friday and Saturday night, in between bend and McCall. I’m thinking bully creek BLM. I wish she had left the wedding at June lake. But I’ve never been to McCall and “the meanders” look cool.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I’m about loaded up to leave tomorrow. Heading to bend then to McCall Idaho for my nieces wedding. Trying to find something for Friday and Saturday night, in between bend and McCall. I’m thinking bully creek BLM. I wish she had left the wedding at June lake. But I’ve never been to McCall and “the meanders” look cool.

Have stayed here in my truck before and soaked well into the night. Your driving through the middle of nothing the entire trip. Should be fun.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Go see the gummy dick collection at the Malheur Wildlife Refuge in Burns Id.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I like how both suggestions are in burns oregon. The gummy dick collection regrettably doesn’t check out. I wouldn’t want to get into a sticky situation any ways.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I like how both suggestions are in burns oregon. The gummy dick collection regrettably doesn’t check out. I wouldn’t want to get into a sticky situation any ways.
I've only gone through that area North to South so between Burns and Ontario I can't offer anything from personal experience. The road from Boise to McCall is legit. I lost a wheel bearing in one of those canyons after McCall and ended up spending the night in Riggins. Found homemade potato chips at a restaurant though and they wus tasty!

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I've only gone through that area North to South so between Burns and Ontario I can't offer anything from personal experience. The road from Boise to McCall is legit. I lost a wheel bearing in one of those canyons after McCall and ended up spending the night in Riggins. Found homemade potato chips at a restaurant though and they wus tasty!
I’ve done the drive from Boise to bend before but it was mostly at night. google has me cutting north before Boise and sorta coming into McCall from the west. I’ll be heading out south and hope to keep all my wheel bearings. The hot springs look legit, all booked up but they have overflow field camping. Winging it on memorial weekend just isn’t ideal.

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
Our first trip in the new trailer was a huge success! The biggest issue we had was forgetting to bring a sponge to wash dishes...

IMG_2561.jpeg