Quantcast

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Man, my folks loved sizzler. When ever we would drive down the hill to Visalia or Fresno for groceries or whatever as a family, what to eat at Sizzler was a hot topic. I can honestly say I was stunned to learn Sizzler was even still a thing. I haven't eaten in one since I moved out of the house.

Good riddance to bad food.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Man, my folks loved sizzler. When ever we would drive down the hill to Visalia or Fresno for groceries or whatever as a family, what to eat at Sizzler was a hot topic. I can honestly say I was stunned to learn Sizzler was even still a thing. I haven't eaten in one since I moved out of the house.

God riddance to bad food.
Our equivalent in the Midwest was Bonanza. It appears there *may* be a few hidden around the U.S. still... :D

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
there was a Sizzler near my client in SAC .... ate there just this past Winter. RIP
fyi: Sacramento generally is strip mall wasteland as far as fine dining options.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Same here with my family. It was supposedly a rare treat. I was probably 25 years old before I understood why people liked steak. Up until that point my experience was that steak was tough planks of tasteless meat.

Actually growing my exposure to any good food was limited to mom and pop Italian restaurants.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I too was convinced of it's culinary superiority when I was a young kid in NorCal, begging my parents to take me there. You could get the salad bar and EAT FOREVER!

This definitely needs to die, along with the Golden Corral. I'd put GC a few steps above Sizzler in the shitty food department. A lot of different food...all of it shit. Here's a good test: Would you get take out? If the answer is no...it should go.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Our version was the Pondagrossa, err, Ponderosa.

Last time I was forced to eat there, I had the Managers Special.
Well, the ongoing joke is if had seen the manager first...

They were all closed or converted to Red Lobster eons ago.
Which is somewhere else I would never set foot into. :disgust1:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Our version was the Pondagrossa, err, Ponderosa.

Last time I was forced to eat there, I had the Managers Special.
Well, the ongoing joke is if had seen the manager first...

They were all closed or converted to Red Lobster eons ago.
Which is somewhere else I would never set foot into. :disgust1:

My father also loves Red Lobster. A long time a go I had a girlfriend who worked at one for a very short period of time. When she came home here clothes smelled like rancid butter and old people.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I think we had all these shitty restaurants in Bleed-more (Sizzler, Pondarosa,; Bonanza) but as a youth Horn and Horn Smorgasbord was the shiznet.

It was always a challenge to save room for the DIY ice cream sundae / dessert bar.

RIP...

3eb2d9293452d69e959281f2c600a905--maryland-baltimore.jpg

In my later (drinking) youth it was all about 3:00 AM Steak and Eggs or Little Tavern mini burgers...

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles

Where in the hills did you live? I grew up in Fresno and Clovis. And in my bicycle racing years, me and my team destroyed many a Sizzler buffet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

pretty sure golden corral still exists.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
i passed a cracker barrel yesterday going to ride, there was a concerningly high number of cars in the parking lot
We have a cracker barrel, golden corral, and ultimate buffet here town. The parking lots are always jammed full after about 3:30 most days. Bringing my daughter home from violin practice yesterday, the Chipotle had a HUGE line outside, everyone jammed together like it was a concert, nary a mask to be seen. :fie:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
there was a Sizzler near my client in SAC .... ate there just this past Winter. RIP
fyi: Sacramento generally is strip mall wasteland as far as fine dining options.
found out there is still a roy rogers near where i lived in virginia...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
there's one at one of the rest stops on the PA turnpike. haven't seen a standalone one in years.
i just remember their breakfast bisquits being about as big as your fist....ate breakfast at one just about every morning for 4 months while we were in a hotel waiting on our house to be technically lived in before actually being finished...