Quantcast

challenge accepted

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
The Democrats refusal to drag every one of Bush's "advisers" to testify regarding Iraqi WMDs, Plame, etc was infuriating at the time, but probably helped to show that they were the adults in the room (and ultimately contributing to Obama's win in '08). Republican's impeachment of Clinton had the exact opposite effect in in the 1990s and he ended up with *higher* approval ratings after it was over.

I'm wondering whether anyone will care about this other than the gun-nuts who think that Obama's "out to git their guns!!!!" who never would have voted (D) anyway?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
In case you haven't heard the rumblings from the other side of the drum circle...there are A LOT of folks who care about this issue and it has nothing to do with Obama's "out to git their guns!!" frothers. Overriding Congress on the DREAM act and then covering up for Holder with executive orders, all in the same week! Yay for transparency!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
In case you haven't heard the rumblings from the other side of the drum circle...there are A LOT of folks who care about this issue and it has nothing to do with Obama's "out to git their guns!!" frothers. Overriding Congress on the DREAM act and then covering up for Holder with executive orders, all in the same week! Yay for transparency!
And yet, would *any* of those folks have voted for Obama in the first place? Seriously?

And as for overriding Congress on the DREAM act, it's hilarious to watch the Republicans try to walk the fine line between criticizing the process (that Bush, Clinton, Bush *and* Reagan all used, and was necessitated by Republicans filibustering) *and* avoiding directly criticizing the policy which could hurt them in November in heavily Hispanic states like AZ, FL, etc.

Jon Stewart had an incredible piece on this Tues night...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
And yet, would *any* of those folks have voted for Obama in the first place? Seriously?

And as for overriding Congress on the DREAM act, it's hilarious to watch the Republicans try to walk the fine line between criticizing the process (that Bush, Clinton, Bush *and* Reagan all used, and was necessitated by Republicans filibustering) *and* avoiding directly criticizing the policy which could hurt them in November in heavily Hispanic states like AZ, FL, etc.

Jon Stewart had an incredible piece on this Tues night...
I have a slightly different opinion on the dream act..being that i've had to sit through several briefings on how it will affect my daily duties. A cute little note, however: Two hours after the big announcement we picked up two guys, about 11 miles north of the border who claimed to be "dreamers." We took them in for processing and had to let them go because there are currently no policies or regulations on how to handle them. So, for now, all an IA has to do is claim that he grew up here and they're in...the proposed 800,000 is an EXTREMELY low estimate...it will likely be more like 2+ million illegals who will derive "amnesty" from this act.
This thread, however, isn't about the dream act so lets get back on topic: When will the Liberal vs. Conservative civil war begin?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
These are your liberal Arizona border patrol buddies?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I have a slightly different opinion on the dream act..being that i've had to sit through several briefings on how it will affect my daily duties. A cute little note, however: Two hours after the big announcement we picked up two guys, about 11 miles north of the border who claimed to be "dreamers." We took them in for processing and had to let them go because there are currently no policies or regulations on how to handle them. So, for now, all an IA has to do is claim that he grew up here and they're in...the proposed 800,000 is an EXTREMELY low estimate...it will likely be more like 2+ million illegals who will derive "amnesty" from this act.
This thread, however, isn't about the dream act so lets get back on topic: When will the Liberal vs. Conservative civil war begin?
So you will have to concentrate on dealing with drug smugglers and criminals?

Sounds good to me.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
...so lets get back on topic: When will the Liberal vs. Conservative civil war begin?
Still wondering if anyone in the moderate middle cares about F&F? The *only* places I've heard about it are from right-wing social media contacts (I actually stopped following a local shop employee after he started posting weekly, and then daily NRA updates about how this was all a grand conspiracy by Obama to take away his guns) and Fox News. In fact, I don't even hear about it from my conservative friends/family members... "It's just politics" seems to be the most any of them actually think about it.

I am pretty sure that that'll all change if the House follows through on holding Holder in contempt/arresting him for what's seen as political gain, though...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003

Sounds good to me.
are you claiming that illegal immigrants are not acting illegally? you know, like 'criminals'?

mind.
boggled.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Sorry, I should have clarified: I only hear about F&F from crazy gun-nuts and Fox News *and* liberal comedians making fun of said Republicans/crazy gun-nuts/Fox News.

What's sad is that any type of rational hearing into how the program went wrong (ie, batteries dying in GPS tracking chips in the guns) has been overshadowed by Republicans claiming that Obama wants to take away American's guns or that there's some sort of vast coverup (about taking away American's guns).

There's *ZERO* discussion as to whether straw-buying is a problem in this country and whether we should do anything about it or not...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Just like all 5 million of those filthy Irish and 3+ million sub-human Jews. How dare those dirty Mexicans, it's appalling. :disgust1:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
are you claiming that illegal immigrants are not acting illegally? you know, like 'criminals'?

mind.
boggled.
I guess I should have made my point a little more clearly.

By a strict definition of "criminal" I and most of my friends and family are criminals (yes, you might not believe it but I have broken the law :eek:). I was speaking of people convicted of serious crimes.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Just like all 5 million of those filthy Irish and 3+ million sub-human Jews. How dare those dirty Mexicans, it's appalling. :disgust1:
i could be wrong, but i believe they signed the guest book, and even applied for citizenship, and largely assimilated

By a strict definition of "criminal" I and most of my friends and family are criminals (yes, you might not believe it but I have broken the law :eek:). I was speaking of people convicted of serious crimes.
i'll take that as felony+
ok, then.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002

Sounds good to me.
Yes...as we have been. You know, Criminals: Those who break the law, ie: Entry into the US at a place other than a designated Port of Entry (POE) thus criminally avoiding our RIGHT to inspect and examine all entrants into this country. You know..criminals. I thought I had a rough idea of who and what was coming into this country illegally but holy hell!....you can just say, "you're welcome" for all the stuff that is kept from entering. If you only knew.... (there's a reason that certain diseases and behaviors make would-be immigrants "inadmissable" at entry)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i know right...those darn Irish and Jews were so sneaky at crossing that land border from Ireland and Poland. Do NOT confuse immigration with ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. Others countries call it "being invaded" and shoot on sight so I'd say that we're doing pretty well in the humanity department. Heck, these "No More Death" traitors/smugglers out here are telling the IA's that if we don't immediately give them water and food, at first encounter, we are abusing their rights...yet we usually encounter them miles from our vehicles and I sure as heck don't carry enough water for 30-40 people in my camelback. I guess it comes down to those who believe we ARE a soveriegn nation with the right to know who's coming into our country or we aren't a soveriegn nation and we should be just a part of the North/South American Continent with open borders. I vehemently believe the former....obviously.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
So if Obama's a hypocrite for criticizing Executive Privilege in '07 but using it now, what does that make Republicans who defended it's use in '07 but are criticizing it's use now?
business as usual, duh.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
i know right...those darn Irish and Jews were so sneaky at crossing that land border from Ireland and Poland. Do NOT confuse immigration with ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. Others countries call it "being invaded" and shoot on sight so I'd say that we're doing pretty well in the humanity department. Heck, these "No More Death" traitors/smugglers out here are telling the IA's that if we don't immediately give them water and food, at first encounter, we are abusing their rights...yet we usually encounter them miles from our vehicles and I sure as heck don't carry enough water for 30-40 people in my camelback. I guess it comes down to those who believe we ARE a soveriegn nation with the right to know who's coming into our country or we aren't a soveriegn nation and we should be just a part of the North/South American Continent with open borders. I vehemently believe the former....obviously.
You know when you make something easier to do something legally, fewer people do it illegally, right?

If our main concern is drugs/guns/disease/convicts/sex trafficking/etc, maybe we should figure out how to focus our resources on those instead of some 19yo wetback looking forward to $100/day picking strawberries... I of course like my idea best, but I'm open to suggestions.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Yes...as we have been. You know, Criminals: Those who break the law, ie: Entry into the US at a place other than a designated Port of Entry (POE) thus criminally avoiding our RIGHT to inspect and examine all entrants into this country. You know..criminals. I thought I had a rough idea of who and what was coming into this country illegally but holy hell!....you can just say, "you're welcome" for all the stuff that is kept from entering. If you only knew.... (there's a reason that certain diseases and behaviors make would-be immigrants "inadmissable" at entry)
First of all not all "illegals" jumped the border. I'm confident (without even googling) in saying that a majority enter the US through POEs.

Also to quote myself.

I'm gonna go home tonight and get all criminal with some ganja cause it's my Friday. So I'm sorry if I don't consider anyone who overstays their visa the kind of criminal that our overworked LEO's should waste time screwing around with.

For some reason people feel that Obama is soft on illegal immigration but during his administration more than 1 million illegal aliens have been deported. That's the most since 1950.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
You know when you make something easier to do something legally, fewer people do it illegally, right?

If our main concern is drugs/guns/disease/convicts/sex trafficking/etc, maybe we should figure out how to focus our resources on those instead of some 19yo wetback looking forward to $100/day picking strawberries... I of course like my idea best, but I'm open to suggestions.
I actually think that your suggestion of paying for a visa makes sense...and that's why Capitol Hill will never use it. But your logic is flawed: Making something illegal, less-illegal, does not solve the problem. The problem is people who have no regard for our laws, regardless of what they are. We can all agree that there are flaws in our immigration system but I cannot concede that disregarding our soveriegn laws is excusable just because the system has a flaw. We have been Mexico's dumping ground for decades, getting rid of the sub-class that Mexico can't afford to care for..and neither can we. I guess that illegally crossing the border, using fraudulent documents to obtain free healthcare/food stamps/government housing, refusal to assimilate, and not paying a penny in income taxes is ok with you?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
First of all not all "illegals" jumped the border. I'm confident (without even googling) in saying that a majority enter the US through POEs.

Also to quote myself.

I'm gonna go home tonight and get all criminal with some ganja cause it's my Friday. So I'm sorry if I don't consider anyone who overstays their visa the kind of criminal that our overworked LEO's should waste time screwing around with.

For some reason people feel that Obama is soft on illegal immigration but during his administration more than 1 million illegal aliens have been deported. That's the most since 1950.
So illegal entry via the use of fraudulent docs is not as criminal as "jumping the fence"?

And the numbers of apps under obama are a direct result of the mass hiring surge from 2006-present, all policy that is a direct result of the incorporation of the USBP under DHS in 2004. Also, apprehensions do not equal prosecutions. Up until recently, all non-criminal aliens were VR'd (Voluntary Return), ie: Given a bus ride back to Mexico or plane ticket to other S. American countries if applicable. Now all, in select sectors, are given an Expedited Removal which carries with it a 5 year ban on returning to the country and makes it easier to prosecute repeat offenders.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
I actually think that your suggestion of paying for a visa makes sense...and that's why Capitol Hill will never use it. But your logic is flawed: Making something illegal, less-illegal, does not solve the problem. The problem is people who have no regard for our laws, regardless of what they are. We can all agree that there are flaws in our immigration system but I cannot concede that disregarding our soveriegn laws is excusable just because the system has a flaw. We have been Mexico's dumping ground for decades, getting rid of the sub-class that Mexico can't afford to care for..and neither can we. I guess that illegally crossing the border, using fraudulent documents to obtain free healthcare/food stamps/government housing, refusal to assimilate, and not paying a penny in income taxes is ok with you?
Nobody is advocating an open border (that I know of, except maybe La Raza), what I'm saying is that making something easier to do legally reduces the incentive to do it *illegally*. If the US was to throw open it's border and allow anyone who passed a background and health check to enter legally, the only people trying to enter illegally would be the criminal elements that you're talking about (not proposing we DO this, just stating a fact). Even at Ellis Island there was a process to go through to ensure that criminals or the sick didn't get in.

By the way, your "using fraudulent documents to obtain free health care/food stamps/government housing/not assimilating/not paying income taxes" argument doesn't hold much water if they were to become legal citizens you know. They're only working illegally with fraudulent papers below minimum wage BECAUSE they can't get a legal job, and as a result don't pay taxes and need (fraudulently-obtained) government assistance. Legalize them and suddenly the farmers and corporations that are currently employing them at less than minimum wage will have to start paying them better, withholding taxes and so on.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
So illegal entry via the use of fraudulent docs is not as criminal as "jumping the fence"?
I was referring to the ~5.5 mil illegals who entered with valid visas and were inspected (anal cavities included I assume) but didn't GTFO on schedule.

And the numbers of apps under obama are a direct result of the mass hiring surge from 2006-present, all policy that is a direct result of the incorporation of the USBP under DHS in 2004. Also, apprehensions do not equal prosecutions. Up until recently, all non-criminal aliens were VR'd (Voluntary Return), ie: Given a bus ride back to Mexico or plane ticket to other S. American countries if applicable. Now all, in select sectors, are given an Expedited Removal which carries with it a 5 year ban on returning to the country and makes it easier to prosecute repeat offenders.
I didn't mention applications, apprehensions, or convictions. All I said was "deportations".

I guess that illegally crossing the border, using fraudulent documents to obtain free healthcare/food stamps/government housing, refusal to assimilate, and not paying a penny in income taxes is ok with you?
This whole debate started with your poopooing of the dream act. The dream act is an attempt to allow those young illegals, who may not have had any hand in their entry into the country and who are studying and working towards becoming tax paying, assimilated members of society, a way to stay here legally.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
When your done with Border Patrol and ready to continue on into the civilian world I've heard these guys are always looking for someone like you. They've already done a bunch of great work defending their sovereign home land.

A patriot is imbued with a love of place and people, while a nationalist is infuriated by a hatred of aliens and imaginary enemies.

Last edited: