Quantcast

challenge accepted

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I guess it's easier to just scream "racist" or "bigot" when your argument falls short)
Let me know when my argument falls short.

I'm just looking forward to his acquittal and the riots that will follow. Then, after the city is destroyed, claiming that the gov't is racist because the damage hasn't been repaired yet.

I mean if there's anyone who understands the naggers it's someone who was like 10 when the Rodney King Verdict was handed down. Amiright? I mean you know how there are. Right?

Genius.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i've never understood the thinking that a hodgepodge group of warring & nomadic tribes with no centralized government & no undisputed borders can be equated to the illegal immigration debate.

but i guess it does make for reasonable trollbait

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i've never understood the thinking that a hodgepodge group of warring & nomadic tribes with no centralized government & no undisputed borders can be equated to the illegal immigration debate.

but i guess it does make for reasonable trollbait
So you are saying the Mexican's need to step up their game?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
ERMAGHERD!! Oh noes....Supreme Court doesn't like the Arizona immigration laws. Friggin' liberal elite pushing their gay agenda onto the freedom loving true americans. Fascist Nazis! All of 'em!!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
ERMAGHERD!! Oh noes....Supreme Court doesn't like the Arizona immigration laws. Friggin' liberal elite pushing their gay agenda onto the freedom loving true americans. Fascist Nazis! All of 'em!!
Not really.

The U.S. Supreme Court, in a major immigration ruling, upheld parts of Arizona’s strict law targeting illegal immigrants, but said the federal government has the ultimate authority to decide who will be held on immigration charges and deported.
They just want to say who stays and who goes.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Gonna make it awkward when they shoot down the Affordable Care act later in the week. Plus they left in the "papers please" part of the law (at least for now) that I think is perhaps the most vile part of the law. It essentially legalizes racial profiling.

*Cue manimal to tell us all why it's not racial profiling and how it protects us as a "sovereign nation". :rolleyes:

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Gonna make it awkward when they shoot down the Affordable Care act later in the week. Plus they left in the "papers please" part of the law (at least for now) that I think is perhaps the most vile part of the law. It essentially legalizes racial profiling.

*Cue manimal to tell us all why it's not racial profiling and how it protects us as a "sovereign nation". :rolleyes:
Not really. Or rather, the Supreme Court ruling states that it doesn't preempt current federal law.

Even after the Supreme Court’s ruling that one key provision was not automatically pre-empted, immigration groups will be able to challenge it based on an argument that the court was not considering: that the law discriminates on the basis of race and ethnic background.
What's interesting is the breakdown:

Monday's decision, written by Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, was 5 to 3; Justice Elena Kagan was recused because of her previous role as solicitor general. Justices Samuel A. Alito Jr., Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas dissented.
Looks like Kennedy is still the swing vote, and Roberts is willing to go along with him to either write the decision (which is what's predicted for the health care vote if it's upheld) *or* to avoid a 4-4 tie. Shows that he's got at least one eye towards the political ramifications of decisions....

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Oh law of unintended consequences, you so crazy!

But wait! Not ready to believe those dirty leftists at Reuters? How about DHS? Or what might actually be one of the last unbiased news sources, the Christian Science Monitor? But why would we want to let some facts get in the way of some good old fashioned scapegoating and xenophobia?

[\QUOTE]

"Undocumented Mexicans are no longer coming to the United States, but those already here are increasingly unlikely to leave."

So wait.. the 13,000 we've apprehended so far this year, in just the Tucson Sector, were all legally crossing the border at a location other than the Port of Entry?!! Holy crap! I sure wasted a lot of time hiking those mountains chasing people who were trying really hard to stay hidden. Man, I guess it's "mission accomplished" then...no need to patrol the border anymore or continue to save hundreds of lives destined for death after their "coyote" left them wandering in the desert, i mean...since they're not really crossing and all.

Pesqueeb: If cultural assimilation is no longer necessary (although required by immigration law), then how are we to proceed? Should we just continue to segregate ourselves into little culturual sub-groups and never unify as a nation under any common banner? An entire nation of people coming to another country and forcing that country to learn THEIR language to accomodate THEM is not immigration, that is an invasion, (and yes, I recognize the irony of our past with the natives). Assimilating to a new culture requires compromise but does not mean that native culture cannot be maintained.

This argument will go nowhere, however, because I will obviously never convince any of you of the threat we face from a porous border (it's hard for you to understand that from a desk) and you will never convice me that enforcing our nation's laws has anything to do with racial bigotry.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
so, are you trying to claim the native tribes had no right claim to their land?

or that the displacement of tribes and ethinic cleansing of the 16th-18th centuries are, somehow, not on par to the criminality of illegal immigration?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
manimal said:
it's troubling to me you could share a relevant & significant anecdote to no avail here, or elsewhere. maybe if reality slapped them in the face like a cold fish taco...?

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Pesqueeb: If cultural assimilation is no longer necessary (although required by immigration law), then how are we to proceed? Should we just continue to segregate ourselves into little culturual sub-groups and never unify as a nation under any common banner? An entire nation of people coming to another country and forcing that country to learn THEIR language to accomodate THEM is not immigration, that is an invasion, (and yes, I recognize the irony of our past with the natives). Assimilating to a new culture requires compromise but does not mean that native culture cannot be maintained.
Right, because assimilating into one single culture has always been the prerequisite for patriotism, and we've never had any instances of distinct cultural groups fighting for our country... Or during the Civil War... Or today...

We've NEVER had immigrants to this country assimilate easily into our culture. EVER. All you have to do is walk through some of the neighborhoods in NYC/Boston/LA and see that native languages and cultures are still being spoken more frequently than English, even though those neighborhoods were set up 100+ years ago and there are probably 3rd or 4th generation immigrants there. Does that make them any less "American" in your eyes? They still pay US taxes, they sign up for their Selective Service card, they often fight in our military but they retain their own language and culture. They just retain their own language and culture...

Even the Irish, white-skinned and English speaking took ~100 years to become "assimilated" (from the mass immigration during the potato famines of the 1820s through the turn of the century), and their religion was still suspect until Kennedy won the presidency in 1960 (see: KKK). Even today there are still neighborhoods throughout the North East where the Irish accent and culture is still prevalent (South Boston, Far Rockaway, and so on), so you could probably even make a claim that they have *never* "assimilated".

The idea immigrants need to assimilate into American culture is one of the most xenophobic and indeed bigoted things I've read on here. It's obvious that you've never *actually* lived in some of the places where foreign cultures are still alive and thriving, places like Queens where Colombian, Jewish (Orthodox), Ecuadorian, Irish, Polish, Taiwanese, and dozens of other cultures enhance the notion that America is a melting pot, a combination of ALL of those cultures, not the absence of them.

And your strawman argument that no one else on here wants a closed-border is just that, a strawman argument. I'm pretty sure no one has advocated an open border (if I'm wrong, can you point me to the post?), but rather a shift in focus towards the guns/drugs/criminals aspect.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
so, are you trying to claim the native tribes had no right claim to their land?

or that the displacement of tribes and ethinic cleansing of the 16th-18th centuries are, somehow, not on par to the criminality of illegal immigration?
the US is not nomadic
the US has well defined borders

so to say illegal aliens intentionally spilling over our well-defined borders & using/damaging our resources without any demonstration of intention to repair/replace/recompense instead of using the available option of doing it legally is somehow the same as how we were rolling a couple hundred years ago offends reason

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
the US is not nomadic
the US has well defined borders

so to say illegal aliens intentionally spilling over our well-defined borders & using/damaging our resources without any demonstration of intention to repair/replace/recompense instead of using the available option of doing it legally is somehow the same as how we were rolling a couple hundred years ago offends reason
I'm pretty sure that every immigrant that's here illegally wants to pay for the services they receive through income and sales taxes, but that would require that they achieve some type of legal status, something the Republicans (and manimal) refuse to grant.

Furthermore it's been noted that illegal immigrants using fake SS#s are paying into a system (including income and FICA taxes) for benefits that they will never receive...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I'm pretty sure that every immigrant that's here illegally wants to pay for the services they receive through income and sales taxes
i'm not

but that would require that they achieve some type of legal status, something the Republicans (and manimal) refuse to grant.
what you are saying (not my interpretation -- this is what you are saying) is illegal activity needs to be rewarded with legal status.

have you bounced this idea off of those you come in contact with who have immigrated by the books?

Furthermore it's been noted that illegal immigrants using fake SS#s are paying into a system (including income and FICA taxes) for benefits that they will never receive...
so you're going with "2 wrongs make a right"? i'm confused as to why you feel the need to bring this up

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Sure about that source there?

$tinkle said:
what you are saying (not my interpretation -- this is what you are saying) is illegal activity needs to be rewarded with legal status.
"Rewarded"? Or "given legal status to more adequately track them and ensure that they pay for the services that they receive?" Unless you're going to load them all up in cattle cars and ship them South of the border, we have to do *something* to ensure that they're paying into the system. Right?

$tinkle said:
have you bounced this idea off of those you come in contact with who have immigrated by the books?
The "close the door just after I got in" crowd? I'm pretty sure we've heard from them, including manimal whose (I believe?) family immigrated here during periods of far more lax immigration policies.

$tinkle said:
so you're going with "2 wrongs make a right"? i'm confused as to why you feel the need to bring this up
Uh, I'm claiming that they are paying into the system, something that you claimed that they weren't doing.

edit: By the way, I'd expect someone like Mooshoo to quote a biased website like "usillegalaliens.com" that gave two dozen "facts" about illegal immigrants without a single source to back them up (aside from of course, sworn testimony by Heather McDonald NOT "Testimony of District Attorney John M. Morganelli" as noted in your website). Phoning it in again, are we?

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
well.
poisoned.
"Rewarded"? Or "given legal status to more adequately track them and ensure that they pay for the services that they receive?"
same thing.
there's already a mechanism in place to insure they can be adequately tracked & ensure they pay for services that they receive.

i will continue to state the plain truth in the clearest & most accurate of terms.
Unless you're going to load them all up in cattle cars and ship them South of the border, we have to do *something* to ensure that they're paying into the system. Right?
i'm not ready to do that just yet. i am, however, all for enforcing the existing laws for both illegal aliens, as well as those who harbor/hire them.
The "close the door just after I got in" crowd?
uh...the door's still open.

why do you refuse to acknowledge truth?
Uh, I'm claiming that they are paying into the system, something that you claimed that they weren't doing.
i see.
so by paying some portion into the system, i cannot address this? has it been established what their share is? if so, is it being paid?
edit: By the way, I'd expect someone like Mooshoo to quote a biased website like "usillegalaliens.com" that gave two dozen "facts" about illegal immigrants without a single source to back them up (aside from of course, sworn testimony by Heather McDonald NOT "Testimony of District Attorney John M. Morganelli" as noted in your website). Phoning it in again, are we?
yes, it was fully fabricated. there is no threat whatsoever. these victims are surely making it up.

your careful selection of what's relevant & authoritative seems only to serve your a-priori conclusion. why don't you just fess up? it would make these discussions a lot more useful.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
"Undocumented Mexicans are no longer coming to the United States, but those already here are increasingly unlikely to leave."

So wait.. the 13,000 we've apprehended so far this year, in just the Tucson Sector, were all legally crossing the border at a location other than the Port of Entry?!! Holy crap! I sure wasted a lot of time hiking those mountains chasing people who were trying really hard to stay hidden. Man, I guess it's "mission accomplished" then...no need to patrol the border anymore or continue to save hundreds of lives destined for death after their "coyote" left them wandering in the desert, i mean...since they're not really crossing and all.

This argument will go nowhere, however, because I will obviously never convince any of you of the threat we face from a porous border (it's hard for you to understand that from a desk) and you will never convice me that enforcing our nation's laws has anything to do with racial bigotry.
I think the problem lies much higher than you and I.

There is a huge economic gap between us and Mexico. While we could argue it isn't our responsibility, I know we use most of the cocaine and meth that gets distributed or created in Mexico.

I wish we could find a solution to reform the Mexican economy. Otherwise, border enforcement will always be a stop gap until we fix the real problem.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
i'm not ready to do that just yet. i am, however, all for enforcing the existing laws for both illegal aliens, as well as those who harbor/hire them.
Existing laws require deportation for any and all people here illegally. I'm pretty sure that we'd run out of chartered jets at some point, and would probably have to resort to some type of "rail" configuration...

$tinkle said:
uh...the door's still open.
Not how it was when most of our ancestors came over. Or are you claiming that the Mexicans can just hop off the boat at Ellis Island and sign their name in a book?

$tinkle said:
so by paying some portion into the system, i cannot address this? has it been established what their share is? if so, is it being paid?
You're the one making the claim. I'd have assumed that you have something to back it up?

$tinkle said:
yes, it was fully fabricated. there is no threat whatsoever. these victims are surely making it up.
The "95% of homicides" number is traced to a sole unattributed reference by someone from the (right-wing) Manhattan Institute with zero additional references... anywhere. if you're going to quote something, don't you think that there should at least be *some* credibility, or *some* research done somewhere? Anywhere?

$tinkle said:
your careful selection of what's relevant & authoritative seems only to serve your a-priori conclusion. why don't you just fess up? it would make these discussions a lot more useful.
Sorry, next time I'll post some "hard facts" from www.allimmigrantsarehardworkingandvaluedmembersofsocietyandcontributefarmorethantheyeverreceivefromsociety.com Then we can argue about which unsubstantiated claims are true based on how outrageous or outlandish they seem. Worked for Fox "News", right?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The "95% of homicides" number is traced to a sole unattributed reference by someone from the (right-wing) Manhattan Institute with zero additional references... anywhere. if you're going to quote something, don't you think that there should at least be *some* credibility, or *some* research done somewhere? Anywhere?
:rofl:
Homer Simpson said:
“Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. 14% of people know that”

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Manifest Destiny says :wave:.

Congratulations on discovering that the South West is not the same as North Carolina. You are aware of the fact that in a large portion of the country that encompasses the border you patrol has a much longer history of Spanish/Mexican influence and culture than that of the Gringo right? Or should they have all just dropped the Spanish and turned white the day we violated their sovereignty?

I have said it before and I will say it again. The so called "porous border" is an issue. Drugs, potential terrorists, disease, bad food, etc are all issues stemming from an open border. What I have always said, is that the focus on "illegal immigration" is about race. Let's be honest, the first image that pops into most people's heads when you say "illegal immigration" is the southern border and mexicans. I have yet to meet or talk to someone of your ilk who expresses the same level of concern about the Canadian border, or "visitors" letting visas expire as they do when they rant about all the dirty damn illegals in the Southwest. So your right in one aspect, this has got to be the 20th time this has come up, and it always ends the same way. Agree to disagree something something......

it's troubling to me you could share a relevant & significant anecdote to no avail here, or elsewhere. maybe if reality slapped them in the face like a cold fish taco...?
That's right, dick. His anecdote is much more relevant because it already conforms with your world view. You know, the guy from north carolina who's been border patrol for what, 6 months? Vs the fact that my old man worked with BP when he was a ranger in Big Bend National Park when I was little. The the fact that I lived in Santa Fe as a kid for 6 years, a city we took from those dirty Mexicans. The fact that I lived for 18 years in the agricultural heart of Southern California, cause god knows there are no illegals there at all, or the fact that I married the daughter of some damn dirty wetback river swimmers. I can't possibly have any idea about any of the idiosyncrasies of, or history of, Mexican Immigration can I? Just totally talking out my ass. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
So Stinkle, to finally respond to you "warring nomadic tribe" remark, did you actually ever study real history, from the perspective of those "nomads"? Do you not see the correlation to the current immigration issues? We are all immigrants. Did the Euros steal land from the nations (the first nations, you know, the ones who Jefferson founded the idea of democracy for this nation from?) Nope, they invaded and relocated peoples without consent, based on assumptions and fears. Starting to sound familiar?

You make some good points on here and I respect your intelligence and viewpoints, but really, it pisses me off when people launch off with assumptions about "indians" without bothering to do real research, and watching reruns of the Lone Ranger doesn't count.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i really wanted to hear this as a ron paul campaign song.....

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
So Stinkle, to finally respond to you "warring nomadic tribe" remark, did you actually ever study real history, from the perspective of those "nomads"?
you mean the tribes who followed the migration routes of their food? or the tribes who moved based upon the climate? both behaviors sometimes leading to armed conflict over resources? yeah, i think i studied a fair bit. don't know why you feel the need to comment on my education, unless of course, it doesn't fit your world view. can't we have competing opinions in the free market of ideas?

but it seems to run deeper than that. it seems that b/c i'm not in lock-step w/ the RM hive-mind, i must therefore be viewed as someone who says we must pull up the ladder & throw every mojado off the roof, instead of what i *actually* believe:
- immigration reform (don't make it so bleedin' difficult to get processed for work/study/citizenship)
- enforcement of current laws (read my lips: no new laws)
- find & crush the mules (the *real* terrorists of our society)

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
That's right, dick. His anecdote is much more relevant because it already conforms with your world view. You know, the guy from north carolina who's been border patrol for what, 6 months? Vs the fact that my old man worked with BP when he was a ranger in Big Bend National Park when I was little. The the fact that I lived in Santa Fe as a kid for 6 years, a city we took from those dirty Mexicans. The fact that I lived for 18 years in the agricultural heart of Southern California, cause god knows there are no illegals there at all, or the fact that I married the daughter of some damn dirty wetback river swimmers. I can't possibly have any idea about any of the idiosyncrasies of, or history of, Mexican Immigration can I? Just totally talking out my ass. :rolleyes:
for me, it's not about mexicans
You do realize that those two goals are technically mutually exclusive, right?
kindly get your cock out of my oatmeal

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Stinkle, would you approve a tax increase on the top 1% of illegals? Those families who make over $25,000 a year?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
don't know why you feel the need to comment on my education, unless of course, it doesn't fit your world view. can't we have competing opinions in the free market of ideas?
Well, if we're going to play snip the post for tasty tidbit quotes:

You make some good points on here and I respect your intelligence and viewpoints,

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Right, because assimilating into one single culture has always been the prerequisite for patriotism, and we've never had any instances of distinct cultural groups fighting for our country... Or during the Civil War... Or today...

We've NEVER had immigrants to this country assimilate easily into our culture. EVER. All you have to do is walk through some of the neighborhoods in NYC/Boston/LA and see that native languages and cultures are still being spoken more frequently than English, even though those neighborhoods were set up 100+ years ago and there are probably 3rd or 4th generation immigrants there. Does that make them any less "American" in your eyes? They still pay US taxes, they sign up for their Selective Service card, they often fight in our military but they retain their own language and culture. They just retain their own language and culture...

Even the Irish, white-skinned and English speaking took ~100 years to become "assimilated" (from the mass immigration during the potato famines of the 1820s through the turn of the century), and their religion was still suspect until Kennedy won the presidency in 1960 (see: KKK). Even today there are still neighborhoods throughout the North East where the Irish accent and culture is still prevalent (South Boston, Far Rockaway, and so on), so you could probably even make a claim that they have *never* "assimilated".

The idea immigrants need to assimilate into American culture is one of the most xenophobic and indeed bigoted things I've read on here. It's obvious that you've never *actually* lived in some of the places where foreign cultures are still alive and thriving, places like Queens where Colombian, Jewish (Orthodox), Ecuadorian, Irish, Polish, Taiwanese, and dozens of other cultures enhance the notion that America is a melting pot, a combination of ALL of those cultures, not the absence of them.

And your strawman argument that no one else on here wants a closed-border is just that, a strawman argument. I'm pretty sure no one has advocated an open border (if I'm wrong, can you point me to the post?), but rather a shift in focus towards the guns/drugs/criminals aspect.
Everyone of these neighborhoods you speak of also have a higher percentage of legal immigrants who ARE learning the language and assimilating where necessary. When did I ever say that an immigrant's native culture must surrender completely to 'Merica? I am suggesting that the immigration requirements to read/write the local language, and not insisting that everyone else be forced to learn theirs, should be a top priority, simply out of respect for a country great enough that would warrant you to move to it to start a better life. Your inability to see my comments as anything but redneck rhetoric is inhibiting you from seeing the bigger problem. No matter how you try to bend the truth to fit your argument, this country has the right to inspect EVERY person who wishes to enter, legally or not, for the good and well-being of the citizens. You can fall back on the typical leftist name calling and throw out the "bigot" card but, in the meantime, us "bigots" are doing our best to enforce the laws of OUR country. I only wish I could open your eyes to the bad, bad, stuff that we intercept on a daily basis...but OPSEC doesn't allow it and facing reality isn't really your strong point.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
- immigration reform (don't make it so bleedin' difficult to get processed for work/study/citizenship)
- enforcement of current laws (read my lips: no new laws)
- find & crush the mules (the *real* terrorists of our society)
I very much agree...however, mules are almost NEVER prosecuted...thanks to the USADA. Spending 9 hours of OT working on a slam dunk smuggling case only to have it flushed by the USADA the next morning for lack of space on the docket tends to make agents a little pissy about the whole thing.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Everyone of these neighborhoods you speak of also have a higher percentage of legal immigrants who ARE learning the language and assimilating where necessary. When did I ever say that an immigrant's native culture must surrender completely to 'Merica? I am suggesting that the immigration requirements to read/write the local language, and not insisting that everyone else be forced to learn theirs, should be a top priority, simply out of respect for a country great enough that would warrant you to move to it to start a better life. Your inability to see my comments as anything but redneck rhetoric is inhibiting you from seeing the bigger problem. No matter how you try to bend the truth to fit your argument, this country has the right to inspect EVERY person who wishes to enter, legally or not, for the good and well-being of the citizens. You can fall back on the typical leftist name calling and throw out the "bigot" card but, in the meantime, us "bigots" are doing our best to enforce the laws of OUR country. I only wish I could open your eyes to the bad, bad, stuff that we intercept on a daily basis...but OPSEC doesn't allow it and facing reality isn't really your strong point.

sorry, but couldnt resist.

on the subject of "the bad, bad, stuff that we intercept on a daily basis". it does not mean the population of immigrants you happen to meet, are a representative sample of immigrants or immigration in general.