Quantcast

Champery World Cup - Live Thread

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
This year is interesting for sure...

Sam is out, Fabian is out, Greg is shining on more gnarly tracks, Peaty has been off pace, and there are a host of new young-gun danger men...

Brendon is sick to watch, but I don't see him as "the man to beat". Blinky is a definite contender, won here before (edit: oops, schladming) and he's on pace this year. Gee can do rough. Gwin has the almost there look at every race. Greg would be my smart money bet for the win, there are some real dark horse maybes too...

Last edited:

ph4se_1

Chimp
Jun 17, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
expect to see joe smith way up there, he got a serious result here in 2007 as a junior and is flat out on steep and tech. also, the young aussies and kiwis will be filling up the top 20, gonna be an interesting results sheet anyway!

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
I guess I'm not the only one that is stupidly excited about this race but it's getting silly when I'm checking mpora/Dirt as often as I am for updates haha!!

IMO it's wide open for anyone, the young 'uns especially who will be looking to make a name for themselves, this track has cult status now! I fecking love it!! There are so many young Brit pinners who I'd love to see take the win!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
This year is interesting for sure...

Sam is out, Fabian is out, Greg is shining on more gnarly tracks, Peaty has been off pace, and there are a host of new young-gun danger men...

Brendon is sick to watch, but I don't see him as "the man to beat". Blinky is a definite contender, won here before and he's on pace this year. Gee can do rough. Gwin has the almost there look at every race. Greg would be my smart money bet for the win, there are some real dark horse maybes too...
I heard gee atherton can ride a tech course pretty fast too (val di sol anybody?)

And that one guy, matti, put up a pretty good time last time too.

Anyway, blinky hasn't won at champery before, he won at schladming.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Don't forget about the guy who started that Aussie-flat-pedal-gangsta-sh!t:

KOVARIK ;)

I heard gee atherton can ride a tech course pretty fast too (val di sol anybody?)

And that one guy, matti, put up a pretty good time last time too.

Anyway, blinky hasn't won at champery before, he won at schladming.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I just want to take this opportunity to laugh at Can't Climb! aaahahahahahahahahahah! not tech?! it actually looks scary steep ON VIDEO, and is littered with roots and rocks! yeah, dh bmx, sure!
Well, i just don't see any rocks. My post stated it was steep with big jumps....just don't see many if any rocks like at Maribor or next week at Val di Sol....

Where the pics of boulders, rocks....?.......come on people......:rolleyes::)

DHBMX with some roots. :p

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
no, but the guy that smashed everyone by 14 + seconds in qualies last time around and by an even more ridiculous amount in the rain during finals is not there (the two you mention above came down in the wet and were miles off the pace).

so, in case you missed my point... the obvious favorite to win Champery, and the person every man on the mountain would be watching and aiming to beat, will not be there.

not sure how you can argue against that fact?

no matter who wins, there will be a "what if" attached to it. like it or not, Sam's past performance here gave him a bit of a legacy on the Champery track.
With that argument, Kovarik should be hands down fav at Ft. Bill every year. ;) Just messing with you. But in all honesty, in 2007, Hill was a different rider than today. If healthy, he'd be a favorite, but with this years results and last years, I wouldn't call it a sure thing.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Timed practice ended 20 minutes ago. I know it's normally pretty pointless, but will be interesting to see what went down. Nothing on UCI or dirt yet.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
We got to Champery today after doing a bit of a tour of the Alps. Watched some practice this morning, until it started raining at least.

Went all the way up to the scaffolding bridge and there are a lot of camera towers! Should be a good one to watch.

The bottom section looks fast, really fast if you hit the over the berm stepdown. It's into some really quite big jumps... a fair few people seem to be bottling hitting them, which I can understand.

The quick guys looked scary fast through it.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
I predict that one guy, greg minnaar, who the interwebs think can't ride tech, ends up doing pretty fuggin well.
Yep.

But since it's not cool to ride clipless these days, and because Minnaar has the ability to make a rough track look smooth, he's not favored. People would rather watch loose cannons like Blenkinsop the Gloveless, or Fairclough the Shambling.

This drift away from racing being about racing and now being more about spectator-glee and watcher-delight, it's sad. Minnaar is "boring" and therefore the racing sucks?

What a world of morons!

Top choices in my idiotic view:

Gee Atherton
Greg Minnaar
Mick Hannah
Brendan Fairclough

But I'm just an idiot who likes racing for racing, not for the crowds it may attract or the money it may create.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
GWIN FOR THE WIN!

Seriously though, I hope he can put it together for a win this WC season. I think he easily will be on the podium for this one. Hes shown he can ride the gnarly tracks like the best of them.

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
it will be interesting to see how he does on this course, having never raced on anything this steep (his words). timed practice didn't treat him well but we all know that means nothing really.
Yeah thats what I was thinking too, but I feel like hes got loads of talent on gnarly courses. And yeah, timed practice doesn't mean anything. Look where some of the other top guys are on the list...

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
i reckon Blenki, Brendog or Matti ftw. Gwin probably gonna crash his ass off. Wont be the first and definitely not the last.

edit: in that pic of the monster energy bike, is that a new proto mech they covering up? The bike's under a tent, as if it needs more protection against rain :P

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Someone piss on your cornflakes this morning son?
that's a negative, ghost rider. swell try at a guess. are you a licensed crystal ball reader?

maybe you don't encounter the same under- and un-informed nimrods that I do. if that's the case, be thankful. but I'm always running across people who slam "boring Minnaar" and bust on those who ride clipless, as if riding clipless were fairyland or something. maybe it's all those UK people... I saw over at DorkRadar that 87% of the poll respondents ride flats, not clips. :D

Last edited:

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Just to comment about the clips vs. flats thing:

Flats being newschool cool for DH is beyond old at this point. Flats seemed like the wave of DH future in maybe 2004... but now it's obvious that both work well. Look at Gwin switching back and forth from track to track.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Wow! Your IQ must be almost 75! That's precious! Seriously, you show incredible detective skills and impressive powers of reading analysis. Remember kids, when reading someone else's posts on the InterWebToobz, always assume that YOU are smarter than THEY are. And ALWAYS assume that they are an IDIOT. That way, even when you're wrong, you've told yourself you're correct. It's a win-win for you! BOOYAH!

Just to comment about the clips vs. flats thing:

Flats being newschool cool for DH is beyond old at this point. Flats seemed like the wave of DH future in maybe 2004... but now it's obvious that both work well. Look at Gwin switching back and forth from track to track.
Interesting, since that's his gig THIS year but not last year... over the winter, James Wilson (Gwin's trainer) kept posting thoughts at his blog which suggested there was no difference between clips and flats, and arguing that flats were just as efficient. Good to see James and Gwin opening their minds to what works best, eh?

Also, 2004 may have been the year that the tide shifted overall in the USA, but over in the UK, they have some bizarre fear of clipless. I halfway expect the UK's top XC racers at the world cup level to show up with 5.10s and Canfield Bros Crampons. :D

Last edited: