Quantcast

Clay Porter film....

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
So...the season is over and now the expectation is for the 3 race movies covering the season,Super8,Earthed and Clay Porter series.

What this movies can be diferent for 2007????
In my opinion, Clay films should have less coments by the riders...I mean,this is cool,but in Clay films this take a lot of time and sometimes is boring.And I would focus the next film on World Cup season and put Norba how a bonus.So it was 6 WC and the Worlds plus 5 Norbas, put all the races on the movie can be too much.

The Earthed series?????For me I never liked the speed up...

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I love Clays videos. I watch them the most out of my collection.

I think the video quality both picture and filming wise will be greater. He stepped up to a HDR-FX1 which is reallly nice, should look amazing on an HD TV.

And btw, I can almost garantee that none of the top film makers speed up there footage to make it look faster. It just doesn't look normal even if done right. I remember people complaining the course tape was shaking too fast from the wind or something, but I have footage from Mt. Snow that looks the same way. I just don't think people realize how fast these riders are going, and a big part is the camera can definetly make it look faster.

Anyway, After seeing E3, Super 8, Hypnosis and Drift 3, I am really stoked to see what each producer comes out with next.

Dan

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
all movies should use transcontinental as a starting point. Clay does and his movies are the best since transcontinental.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I can't wait to see Clay's next effort. Hypnosis was great. Lots of good footage, good insight into the racers thoughts about courses too.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Alright, in regards to the sped up film issue...2 things.

FIrst, it is EXTREMELY hard to properly capture the terrains real roughness, and the speed that pro riders move at. Even St Anne, which is a course that makes me pee, looks like a stroll in the park on film.

Speeding up the film, while kind of cheating, is also the only thing that ironically makes it closer to what its really like. If the Earthed series was sped up, it was only to represent in a truer fashion what the sport is really like, rather then to sensationalize it (like say a car chase in an action film.)

A good one to watch for speed is Antio-gravity 2 from MBUK. There are a few sections in there that I would have bet my arm were sped up. Yet when my girl saw it (assistant director for Canadian Idol, so she knows a thing or two about film) she said that it wasn't sped up. The riders look almost unaturally fast, even thier clothes and legs move at ridiculous speeds. Yet after reviewing the sections over and over, everything surrounding the rider look natural. Strange.

rchavarria

Chimp
Jun 23, 2006
Brazil
honestly? for me the comments in Clay's videos make things more human...
Getting to know my favorite riders by they own words it's answome.
Oh!! And Clay can make Sam Hill actually talk!!! That's a hell of a trick...

Super 8 and Earthed are great movies, but I became Porter's fan since de 2nd Spectacle...

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Porters films are my favorites. i love the interviews, the way he films, the editing, the music. It's all put together very well and it portrays Bike racing to those outside the sport as something they should be excited about. His movies are true ambassadores for our sport and should be celebrated for that fact. i have goteen more people into DH/racing/riding at all becuase of his films than any other. Kudos Clay! Oh yeah and Hella Greasy rocks!! Theo has some skills for sure and it will be fun watching his movies progress in the future.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
And I would focus the next film on World Cup season and put Norba how a bonus.
sure why not? i mean it's not like clay lives in the US and it is alot less expensive and time consuming to travel to the norba races instead of traveling around the world to all of the world cups! :bonk:

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
A bit off topic here, but does any of you know where I could get a copy of Transcontinental? Never saw the movie and can't seem to find it.
Anybody can give me some help???

Thanks!

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
sure why not? i mean it's not like clay lives in the US and it is alot less expensive and time consuming to travel to the norba races instead of traveling around the world to all of the world cups! :bonk:
In my opinion each race should have 4 or 5 min. I mean, this shows how the course really is,all sections,etc.With all WCs,Worlds and Norbas the movie will be too long.....boring.

One good thing on Super8 is the dh separete from 4x.
It would be nice the WC separete from Norba on the film.
In my opinion don't make sense mix both racers,they are different.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
The Earthed series?????For me I never liked the speed up...
i don't why this pisses me off. i hear people say it all the time; what is their proof? it LOOKS like its sped up? gimme a f'in break

but besides the rant, you cannot be a race-movie freak/afficianado/lover and NOT drool while watching the Earthed series. they are some of the best race movies ever created and probably THE best since the days of transcontinental and the likes.

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
i don't why this pisses me off. i hear people say it all the time; what is their proof? it LOOKS like its sped up? gimme a f'in break

but besides the rant, you cannot be a race-movie freak/afficianado/lover and NOT drool while watching the Earthed series. they are some of the best race movies ever created and probably THE best since the days of transcontinental and the likes.
Let me explain...I really like Earthed series...I just think in Earthed series the speed up is bigger than in other movies.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
If Earthed is sped up, it's done subtley enough that you can't REALLY tell (some parts do make me think that it's sped up, but it could just be the frame rate or the way the camera is moved, because some parts obviously AREN'T sped up). I actually thought some parts of Super 8 were sped up, but I've been told by a guy who was involved in the production of it (editing or something) that it wasn't. If you want examples of sped-up footage, have a look at the new Kranked 6 teaser. The DH parts are sped up like 50%, and it's just so obvious that it's not funny.

BTW I think any speeding up of footage is lame - why bother filming the pro riders if you're just gonna speed it up? Why not just get your average hack and speed THAT up to the same speed the pros ride at? Defeats the point IMO.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
ok one last time for the reading impaired.

NOTHING IN EARTHED IS SPED UP.
One last time for the visually impaired.

THERE IS SPED UP FOOTAGE IN EARTHED.

I can see why Clay Porter would want to focus his next movie on the World Cup. You can only show footage of the same events for so long before it gets boring.

sinister37

Chimp
Jul 8, 2005
Boise, ID

I can see why Clay Porter would want to focus his next movie on the World Cup. You can only show footage of the same events for so long before it gets boring.
for the retarded prove it, but seriously it is not sped up at all, end of story.

dondon

Monkey
heres clay with Sam Blenkinsop at home few days after Sam crashed out of contention for the Worlds Jersey. Any guesses on the title of his next Video Project....? At present he is in UK filming with Beaumont, the Athertons and Ben Reid.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004

It sure looks sped up, the dust cloud behind the riders just doesn't act right. Looks like a cloud of magic dust.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I don't think either of them really speed up the film. Rankin does on a couple finish line shots, but that's about it, I think the rest of the footage is just how fast those boys go.