Quantcast

Climbing TWE

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Full film is available to watch, deserves its own thread.

I have many nuts rides planned that I may never get to. But I wouldn't want to try this even if I had the skills required for some of the crux moves.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That trail is hard to clean going down. Up? Jesus. Wifey just went to sleep so I'm pausing at 45min, but I haven't been pulled into any movie like this in ages.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Full film is available to watch, deserves its own thread.

I have many nuts rides planned that I may never get to. But I wouldn't want to try this even if I had the skills required for some of the crux moves.

Been following him for a few years. Nutso climbing skills. I can't even imagine climbing TWE.

I mean, I can, but not having the legs, time, or physical proximity is quite limiting.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
A gentleman, does not shuttle.
I've done many good (long) rides as a result of that philosophy.

One of the dumb rides planned that I would like to ride is TWE as a loop. Mag7ish also has a loop ride planned. I've sort of done that before though years ago when it was just the blue dot original.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I know people who climb up the shuttle route, then descend. That's totally acceptable compared to this. And imo. fucking nuts.

I like climbing to porc rim from the sand flats rd. trailhead, that's sort of fun tbh.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm going to want my hardtail for the first 26 miles and 8000ft of climbing, then I'd like my Smash for the next 26 heading back down, before having my hardtail again for the ride back into town.

4 hours going up instead of the hour in the van...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
for the ride back into town
One year 3 of us rode TWE, and the ride back to south Moab would have killed me if not for some peach stand ladies giving us a bunch of Palisade peaches for free while they closed up their roadside stand. I was famished and we had a head wind in every direction. Bless you, random peach lady.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
One year 3 of us rode TWE, and the ride back to south Moab would have killed me if not for some peach stand ladies giving us a bunch of Palisade peaches for free while they closed up their roadside stand. I was famished and we had a head wind in every direction. Bless you, random peach lady.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've pondered riding the full loop since I saw some people doing it in 2014. We drove past a couple of guys pedaling up Geyser Pass Rd as the shuttle carried us past them.

Just told the wife we might have to give it a try in September next year. Problem is I've already got some big rides planned for two of the early September weekends. Will need to cross fingers for mild weather late that month into October.

I figure 3 1/2 to 4 hours going up from town at a casualish pace, then 5 1/2ish coming back down. 9 hours, 60 miles 8200ish ft of vert. I've definitely ridden plenty more miles and vert in a day on my mountain bike before.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I enjoyed that A LOT more than I expected to!

Lots of great memories from Moab. Back in what seems like a previous life time we used to ride Porc Rim as a loop from town. Used to do it on my steel Paramount with rigid forks. Come to think of it, I’ve never ridden Moab on a full suspension bike! All that shit seems unthinkable to me now!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You have a filthy, filthy mind.
Says the guy who I will bet money on has some files saved on his hard drive that aren't not hours of bonobos wackin it footage.

look, it's a long trail. It gets dirty. I get it. I'm sure it's hard to clean. I've just never tried because biking with brooms is hard. I'm always too busy passing denverites going slow.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It cracks me up how everyone in denver just knows what TWE stands for. 5 hours away.

I had to read like half this page before I realized it was the long burrow shuttle thing
There's a thousand "TWE" signs all along the route now for people with no navigation skills to follow on their "epic" ride.