Quantcast

Custom Paint Helmet Thread!!

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
dude yours is AWESOME, thats exactly what my 661 comp looked like (just left primer on for a while) until i drew some graffitti on it, painted it red with yellow flames, and than black, and than white, and than that primer again with more graffitti, and than it cracked two weeks ago :dead: So i need a new idea for my Fox Tracer....hmmm im liking that leapord skin

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Transcend said:
So it's time to bring this thread back from the dead. Jeremiah - "worst shipping agent on the planet" Dean, got my helmet back to me. thanks brother.
Just goes to show you how good of an artist Dylan is....he actually can do the unthinkable and polish a turd. :sneaky:

Makes that helmet look almost desirable....

...seriously though...congrats Fraser...too bad I don't get to see it in person since you won't be coming to Snowshoe this year!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
bizutch said:
Just goes to show you how good of an artist Dylan is....he actually can do the unthinkable and polish a turd. :sneaky:

Makes that helmet look almost desirable....

...seriously though...congrats Fraser...too bad I don't get to see it in person since you won't be coming to Snowshoe this year!
The weekend of snowshoe i will be racing a british national race instead. They have cash payouts, imagine that! :sneaky:

And ya, J did a kick ass job, i am so stoked. You shoulda heard the chick at dainese when she saw it.. THAT is a moto raptor?

hahaha

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i d prefer mine... with your paint (except black with grey) :)

seriously... fit is the key... this is the best fitting helmet i ve ever had... worth every penny... thanks james / go-ride... :)

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Transcend said:
why is it that stock graphics jobs are so horrendous..christ - that TLD is as bad as the stock gray and pink dainese.
horses for courses... i like the graphics actually... sure, i d prefer to have it painted but IMHO it s a lot of money for pure cosmetics...

now where is my matching catepillar boots ;)

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
my tattoo artist does it for the fun of it... so they get re-painted once in a while when he gets new painting toys to play with.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
my wife works at a prison and there art dep. paints helmets.

mainlly harley stuff, but they are doing mine.

anything W/clear for $40.

i'll have it in a week

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
I've got an old helmet that's lying around, so I thought I'd go ahead and start a painting project... Still kind of a n00b as far as it goes, but it doesn't seem to too difficult a task to make a sweet lookin' helmet (think, something like an '04 carbon D2 -- more or less straight lines... basically everything can (and will be on mine) be taped). Basically, I'm looking for pointers... what kind of paint I should use, best way to get a professional looking high-gloss finish (that's a big one there), any any specific tape... that sort of stuff. Anything's useful.

I'll be using a basic airbrush -- bottom feed, external mix, if that's an important point.

I don't want to derail this thread, so if you PM me, that'd be cool. Thanks in advance for the help.

biketiger

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
in my house
I decided that the first helmet I paint should be in honor of my favorite candy. The logos are decals under the clear. The rest is paint.

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
any one know where to get the speed fin thats rounded and fits on d2's. i know tld dosnt carry them but you know like the one sma hill and some other people have? i think they come in clear and then you can paint them

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
So does anyone have any tips for painting a helmet for the first time? I have some decent airbrush skills, but nothing to really brag about. What kind of paint works best, etc?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
ride_fast said:
any one know where to get the speed fin thats rounded and fits on d2's. i know tld dosnt carry them but you know like the one sma hill and some other people have? i think they come in clear and then you can paint them
send a PM to DylanDeanDesigns or go to his website and email him www.dylandeandesigns.com or also General Lee is really good. You can PM him as well.

There is an artist in this area who does them for NASCAR teams www.airbrushdesigns.com and his name is Sandy Fulk.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
ride_fast said:
check ebay i know there is one on there...other than that i'm not sure. i have a few but they would go for a high price lol

biketiger

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
in my house
Grizzle said:
So does anyone have any tips for painting a helmet for the first time? I have some decent airbrush skills, but nothing to really brag about. What kind of paint works best, etc?
The masking is the most important part. You don't want the paint to come into contact with the foam.

The pros use eurethane paints. I use water based acrylics and clear coat from a can as well as primer from a can. The water based paints are non-toxic and perfect for the home environment I paint in. It's also much cheaper for beginners like myself.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
masking is important yes, but along with that is the rest of the prep work. go to an auto body supply store and talk to someone there. tell them what you are painting on..or even show it to them. make sure you get yourself a good adhesion promotor...you are going to be wet sanding sanding a bit, the grit you use depends on the condition of the helmet...but you should end with something like 800 or 1000. get GOOD TAPE. do not use garbage masking tape unless you feel like cleaning up adhesive later. good tape is expensive ($10 a roll) but it's worth it in the end. so there are a few tips...the paint you use is up to you. i use house of kolor, ppg and dupont then on top of that get yourself a good quality strong clear. i have never had any problems. remember, all paintjobs will chip under certain circumstances. if you land directly on your head in a rock garden YOU WILL chip it, but keep in mind, that would most likely chip the helmet period. a good quality paintjob won't chip unless it is thrown into something that will damage the helmet. i posted one of my paintjobs on the first page of this thread, here's another..

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
bizutch said:
DAMN! That is so friggin' sweet. And you don't do this as a living right? Just a hobby....man!
not really a living right now, just part time. i do motorcycles mostly. i would like to make it full time but i have some other things i have to take care of right now...school etc.

caballero

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
good ol' europe
has anyone good pics of neethling's helmet ??? (the green/black/silver one he's wearing in synopsis)

and also wentz' white one ??

i need some ideas for my own helmet :oink:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
hucked2bend said:
Here are a couple pics of Needles lid. & a good one in action. I did a quick, 1 night & a few pints of a paint job on it, but it came out o.k. ; )
whoops, thought Dylan did Needles lid. Sorry about that. So do you work at Troy Lee? I see the big logo running down it and not used to seeing that on anybody's work other than the Troy Lee shop.