Quantcast

Custom Paint Helmet Thread!!

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Can any experienced Monkey share information about the best clear coat I can put on customized helmet?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Can any experienced Monkey share information about the best clear coat I can put on customized helmet?
That depends entirely on what sort of paint was used for the graphics. Urethane automotive paint, or a properly catalyzed enamel like the Autoair line can be cleared with any aftermarket urethane clear coat. I'm partial to House of Kolor Kosmic myself.

If it's a rattle can job or something of the like you might be a bit more limited in your options as a urethane clear will often react with some other paints/mediums and ruin your finish.

So first want to know what was used to paint the helmet and do you plan to do the clear coating yourself or pay someone else (like a body shop)?

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I will check with guy who's actually gonna do this and try to answer your questions :)

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
He says, he uses some pinstripe emanel paints, 1-Shot brand...
One Shot is an oil based pinstriping enamel usually used for pinstriping, though I've heard of people spraying it through an airbrush as well. Not sure why they would do the latter when there are far better and easier paints to use.

Are you getting the helmet fully painted or just pinstriped? If painted is he planning to go it all by and with a brush or wth an airbrush? Just seems odd to me that anyone would paint a whole helmet with that paint.

Be wary of anyone who says they can paint your helmet but can't explain exactly what they are using from start to finish and why. Especially if they aren't sure how to go about clearing the final job properly (clear coating to a sign painter and an automotive/helmet painter might mean 2 different things).

There are many schools of thought on the best paint to use for helmets but I've had really good luck with AutoAir colors. Some drawbacks compared to urethane based paints, but for me they were easily outweighed by their ease of use an cleanup for some who only paints a few times a year. Poke around this site and see what you can learn:

http://www.autoaircolors.com/

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I was not precise, enough.
One thing is pinstriping, which he's going to do with 1-Shot paint.
Another thing, is painting whole helmet black mat, before. However, I am still waiting for the information about the paint he uses for background.

Thx, Lee.

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
Autoair and easy to clean up because it's waterbased!? :rofl:

Thinner based Basecoat paint is still thé paint to use... high pigmented, low build, <5 min drying time and masking proof.

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
Thanks a bunch guys...

Well what you see i what you get. :)
All paint and no cleared over decals/stickers, hence custom painting.
It's what the guys & gals pay for. And in this way you can use, for the instance orange in everything from careernumber to name to sponsorlogos. So all is perfect blended together.

2 layers of clear with inbetween sanding, so all is smooth as a cheekie!
Renewal of all masking of ducts and trimmings with the D3 is in order, quality takes time and pays off dividends.

2 layers of clear give you extra depth for metallics, pearls etc. and added shine.

Factory job is just 1 UV drying top coat.

I know you guys want to know how it's all done, hence some work in progress pics and illustrator lay-outs.

I guess many can paint, but it is the design which sets it apart.

In the end it's all personal, what the rider wants.

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
Amazing work M@lphy! Really clean - love the metallic orange!
Bahaha #Knowsit!

That orange is a Standox Pearlwhite mixed with HoK Tangerine Kandy (intensifier).
Had to match the jersey...

That Elite Women (Dutch National Team) is TLD sponsored so all TLD logos had to return hence no logo from me on the peak.

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
Really, really nice work M@lphy.
Any other pics of the completed helmet on the right, with the white/white ghost flames?
Allow me to retord!

So the white is a pearl... masked the flames and sprinkled coarse silver over it... with some candy black added some drop shadows.

The part where the ton-sur-ton pin-ups are situated i sanded the pinstripe decals down to show the uni directional Carbo weave.
If i can incorporate the carbon weave in the design i leave it be.

The split design (black white with orange speedstripe), 'THE' D3 #15 Rockstar are Carbon too...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
M@LPHY, I was checking out Raymon's helmet this weekend at Chula, you did such a nice job to our D3 on that, you do some nice work man, keep it up!

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
So are you doing helmets for the nitro crew? Or a fan who likes it all?
Your take on the Redbull helmet/nitro is sick. Can we see more of that please?
Just a fan D3...one side is Ken Block the other Nitro Circus.

The Candy Orange Metalflake base is as per team colors.
(black & orange)

I believe Airtrix, Chris Wood does most of the Nitro Circus helmets.

I'll post more tomorrow, 2nd topcoat is curing now.

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
M@LPHY, I was checking out Raymon's helmet this weekend at Chula, you did such a nice job to our D3 on that, you do some nice work man, keep it up!
Thanks Stikman, aah well just a recolor and some personal logos as far as personal branding is allowed by the DNT rules. You should check Joyce's helmet next time.

I still like the prototype run of the 1st Sam Hill skulls, orange trimmings & decals for our Dutch Elite riders.

Can i get some swag for repainting all the TLD logos correctly on my various D3's!? ;)

And i do my best, love custom painting but it is small market overhere.
Maybe i should move state side.

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
M@lphy, you should give some advice to the Troy Lee designers. You know how a helmet looks good. No Medusa or skulls needed.
Great work! :boss:
Allora!?

Their helmets are always designed in conjuction with the pants and jerseys ie. a combo.

Some work and some don't (hate - love), but then again that's where custom painting comes in.
If you're willing to shell out proper funding for handwork by a artisan.

Ciao,

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Geez M@LPHY, you just torched the whole thread in two pages. You gotta tease 'em a little bit and feed the masses bits and pieces to keep 'em hungry!

Ah, heck....who am I kidding? Crush it like a boss!

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
Geez M@LPHY, you just torched the whole thread in two pages. You gotta tease 'em a little bit and feed the masses bits and pieces to keep 'em hungry!

Ah, heck....who am I kidding? Crush it like a boss!
Teasin' is for $tripper Girls!

I just burn tha mofo house down! ! !

Tha roof, tha roof, tha roof is on F.I.R.E.