day after freedom day gfmt

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I found something that really works well for crappy, not super-sharp knives:

Bonus: it also works for nice, not super-sharp knives. :D

Double bonus: it's cheap
Oh, I can sharpen them and I do. It's just that when I get them properly sharp, she always cuts herself. So they can only be "just sharp enough".

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Oh, I can sharpen them and I do. It's just that when I get them properly sharp, she always cuts herself. So they can only be "just sharp enough".
The sharper the better. Sharp knives don't skate off of things and cut you.

Sounds like she either needs to be more careful or you need to revoke her knife privileges and replace with one of these.

SlapChop.jpg

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Oh dear god, what have I done
I was cleaning out the fridge and I found a jar in the back corner. It had pickled habaneros and carrots from 2 years ago. Holy crap were they hot ( just took a nibble). I was making a Salmon stir fry tonight so I diced up a pickled Habanero and in it went. So good until I swallowed a larger chunk of the pepper. My airway closed up, I couldn't breathe. I had to fight to relax the airway. I got in a few marginal breaths before I made it to the sink and got in a couple of swallows of tap water to stop the spasm. then my nose and eyes kicked off. Too damn intense

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
My plan to do not a damned thing was a spectacular failure. More garage organization, hung the bikes, got rid of the old workbench and mowed the lawns. Had a beer in the pool and hung out with the oldest for awhile.

Now post dinner recliner lounging whilst watching The Office. Maybe another beer.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Oh man, forgot what working for an organized company felt like. There’s like schedules and people responding to Teams messages, weird.

Pants are bullshit though, like, how does having my calves covered make GD&T any less stupid?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
According to my car, it was 93F when we started our ride tonight. Not sure what the humidex was at, but let me tell ya, it was RIPE out there.

Twas a short ride.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Just roll in wearing shorts and if questioned mentioned the dress code has a +/- 24" inseam tolerance.

Or capris, I don't judge.
Well without knowing what datum is, how am I to know where the cuffs are supposed to be?

No to crack the code on footwear. Proper footwear must be worn in the lab, can’t access my office without going through the lab. Steel toe flip-flops?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
For years I was reluctant to ride in the heat. My health pretty much made it not very enjoyable. Now I kind of enjoy it. A good sweat. As long as the bugs aren't bad. I don't mind it. My bike is dialed in.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Pretty fucking stoked right now, it sounds like I am being invited to eat at ‘Central’ in Lima for my birthday celebration later this fall. It was just voted as the ‘World’s Best Restaurant’ this year.
The owner/chef is a friend of one of my Peruvian riding buddies.
Holy crap.
I’ll need to look for that restaurant it sounds tasty. I go to Lima for work often. . . Assuming you meant Lima, Ohio? And this Peru you talk of is it on US 24 right on the banks of the Wabash River?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I’ll need to look for that restaurant it sounds tasty. I go to Lima for work often. . . Assuming you meant Lima, Ohio? And this Peru you talk of is it on US 24 right on the banks of the Wabash River?
On two separate occasions I have woken up in the morning not really sure where I was because of hectic and grueling work travel, looked out my hotel window and saw a large water tower letting me know I was in Peru Illinois. This was followed by sadness and existential crisis.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Most people don’t know that for a good long while, Lima Perú was by far the wealthiest city in all of the Americas. American cities were named that as the country expanded westward with hopes of such prosperity for their own humble bergs.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Well, actually a few hundred years after that in a Conquistador sense. Amazing wealth was made with mining, but also Guano for fertilizer, so basically bird shit. Mostly export of extractive raw materials. The raw gold of the Incas had mostly been found and (sadly) melted down within the first 50 or 100 years of the Spaniard’s arrival.
Exploitation of native populations for labor for mining/etc played a large part as well.

Last edited:
Well, actually a few hundred years after that in a Conquistador sense. Amazing wealth was made with mining, but also Guano for fertilizer, so basically bird shit. Mostly export of extractive raw materials. The raw gold of the Incas had mostly been found and (sadly) melted down within the first 50 or 100 years of the Spaniard’s arrival.
Exploitation of native populations for labor for mining/etc played a large part as well.
Slavery, to b specific.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Well, a type of slavery, but very, very different from the southern US kind.
Curiously, a ton of the ‘indentured servitude’ was by Chinese and Japanese immigrants, who came to build the railroads and mine, much like in the Western US. They have had an amazing effect on Peruvian cuisine, which has Chinese and Japanese elements.

Last edited: