Quantcast

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Hi, i'm WhoRyder!

OKAY.. i have to get this off my chest!!!!!!!

What i hate about diablo is when i'm getting on the lift and someone asks me "Dude, no body Armour?" or "did you forget your body Armour"...

REALLY?!?!?!??!?!?

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Hi, i'm WhoRyder!

What i hate about diablo is when i'm getting on the lift and someone asks me "Dude, no body Armour?" or "did you forget your body Armour"...

REALLY?!?!?!??!?!?
Do you have kids...?.....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hi, i'm WhoRyder!

REALLY?!?!?!??!?!?
the last time I rode the diablo lift was with TK421

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Do i have kids? Not sure what the hell does it matter but i'll play... Yes i have two kids... a girl (Katelyn) and a Boy (Tyler).....

Any further Questions?
Why not wear some body armor...?.....ruins your flow..?...you get a little sweatier...?...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
.....ruins your flow..? What Flow?
at least you're honest with yourself :rofl:

i'm gonna sidetrack here:

i stopped wearing armor a few years back (body armor, not knee/shin) because a lot of it sucked. bulky, poor fit, shifting while riding, etc. Last year i picked up a POC VPD spine protector, and have been nothing but pleased with it. Stays in place, not bulky, conforms to movement very well. never looking back.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I got a level 3 AC join separation with full body Armour on 2 years ago... after that happened and after a couple of buddies of mine breaking collarbones, hands, arms and ankles... i came to a realization...

With or without body amour you can get hurt.... I only wear gloves and knee pads for the past 2 seasons...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Why not wear some body armor...? Because i choose not to...

you get a little sweatier...? No not at all
No reason to get upset at Dudes for pointing out you're not wearing armor....sounds like it might be a good idea.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
at least you're honest with yourself :rofl:

i'm gonna sidetrack here:

i stopped wearing armor a few years back (body armor, not knee/shin) because a lot of it sucked. bulky, poor fit, shifting while riding, etc. Last year i picked up a POC VPD spine protector, and have been nothing but pleased with it. Stays in place, not bulky, conforms to movement very well. never looking back.
dude do you hock this sh.t on the weekends or something? between this and the knee pad review, you might become the next totalheckler...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
dude do you hock this sh.t on the weekends or something? between this and the knee pad review, you might become the next totalheckler...
i should be a sales rep.... I just take personal safety very seriously; I have a cousin who's quadriplegic b/c of a stupid motocross accident, and know a lot of old times who are hobbling around b/c they didn't take care of themselves in their youth (ie they treated themselves like an amusement park ride)

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
i don't get upset.. i just find it annoying....

Crossing the NYC street are dangerous, EXTREMELY dangerous.... Does that mean pedestrians should wear body amour or not cross the street?
Crossing the street in NYC is never 100% safe but you can make if safer by using crosswalks and stuff. Think of body armor as a NYC crosswalk.....

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Crossing the street in NYC is never 100% safe but you can make if safer by using crosswalks and stuff. Think of body armor as a NYC crosswalk.....
This is NYC we don't use Crosswalks....! Anyhow.. it's my decision to shred without body Armour... Plus i look sexy when i ride!

Don't you agree?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Dude, come on DirtyMike. I know you're on your high horse cause you had a buddy and whatever, but do you seriously advocate scoping out the landing to each drop every run, every time you ride? Downed rider? Are you for real? It's completely reasonable to expect an open trail to be open and clear. If there's a downed rider, then his friend should put a bike or get to the top of the drop to prevent people from coming over it. You shouldn't ride DH alone.

The item in question is who opened the trail, but more importantly than that, why diablo thinks that an injured rider isn't worth speaking with on a personal level. That's ****ed up.
Really..... Your reading what I have been saying as "scope out every landing every run......

Didnt I type straight up that you should take it easy for the first run...... Then by all rights go Balls out??? Yeah... yeah thats exactly what I said.....

I also agree fully you should never DH alone, shouldnt really ride anything alone.... BUT Dh especially.....

In most every post I have had, I have repeated myself again and again... ****ty methods used for trail closure/erosion control whatever.......But fact still remains...... Rider could have overall been the one to prevent this.....

Rider should have scoped out the blind drop.... being it was his first run, after a snow season, on opening day......... too much could have been changed since the last time he was there....

How can anyone argue that nothing could have been changed at all.......

While this is true for riding on your own trails / public parks / etc, there is NO reason to have to do this at a park where you pay $40 for a lift ticket and (supposedly) maintained trails. There's 44 trails at Diablo, and probably 20+ stunts / features that you're claiming I should inspect first every day I ride them. Seriously? That's not what I spend money on a lift ticket for. I pay money so I don't HAVE to stop, leave the bike, hike down, inspect something, hike back up and ride the line. If I am going to end up hiking all over the place checking out stunts beforehand, I would have just gone to Trumbull and saved myself the $40 (plus $15 in tolls, plus food, plus gas, etc).

What you're saying is true for riding someplace other than a DH park. There's NO way it's true for riding (or skiing, or boarding, or whatever) at a place that's taking your money so that they can maintain the trails for you.
No... there is one VERY good reason you should still be checking it.... probably moreso somewere there are people taht are actually working on the trails......... Trail feature changes and modifications....

Again especially being this was opening day, right after what should have been alot of maintanence............. park could have completly rebuilt the landing........ Thats change you dont know about..... You should be looking.... again on your first run, scope it.... then by all means go hammer it

I think you are mixing 2 different concepts: personal responsibility (being aware of conditions) vs. gross negligence (not clearing the landing area, closing the trail, and/or alerting riders) [unclear based on evidence]. Like others have said, what you wrote apply more to local trails rather than a well-run bike park.
No... I am not conufsing it at all.......... I am saying simply, that with the use of the personal responsibility........... the side effect would have been that the rider would have seen this gross negligence, therfore saving himself the pain and headache.

Again somewere there is alot of maintenance, and were people are regularly updating and changing trails and features its actually more important to get a feed on the trails, and check them out............ Local trails dont generally have people out on a regular basis modifying the trails or features... Places dedicated to a sport do.... In fact most advertise that they are regularly changing and modifying trails.

I think it is absolutly retarded to lay your own safety at someone elses hands with this sport. Its been pointed out.... Diablo has 44 trails/runs...... How many of those will someone ride in a given day...... I doubt anyone here is going to ride every single run in one day...... Seriously, Your probably going to pick five or six trails and ride the **** out of them all day..... so your first run from top to bottom took 15 minutes instaed of ten..... Next run is balls out and you know damn near exactly what to expect aside from other riders, possible fallen trees, possible trail damage from excessive use ETC..... But you know if the features have been changed or modified

Please everyone look closer at what is being put into words, read it completly....... I am not argueing who is strongly at fault, I am not arguing that a stack of branches in the landing would ever be a good idea, Hell I am not even arguing taht the park would in fact have their asses handed to them in court.... Hell the park would be ****ed in this cases six times over minimum...... I am simply saying, that the byproduct of more personal responsibility will keep riders safer, the byproduct of checking **** before going into it blind after the off season/snow season would have shown the rider something was wrong..... I am not saying the rider should be looking for **** like this...... Just that it would have been seen.

Oh, for the record....... Other than the two private trails in my area..... None of the local trails<there is alot> have changed other than weather erosion......... Yet when BB was open, I found the trails Dramatically different every other weekend from trail work..... turns changes, burms modified, landings modified, sections cut out/added........Some of the runs up there were eight to ten minutes average..... My first run I would take fiften to twenty....... at the end of the day I still have 15 to 20 runs total........

Best comparision I can think of in situations like this

Your standing at a crosswalk waiting for the go light.... it changes, you step out without looking and get hit.... Yeah the driver is full on balls out at fault... There is no question about that at all...... BUT as the pedestrian, if you simply took five to ten seconds longer and looked first....... Your own personal responsibility just saved you the headache of the whole situation when the byproduct was seeing the jackass on his phone that isnt paying **** for attention........

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Why not wear some body armor...? Because i choose not to...

you get a little sweatier...? No not at all
Whoa easy there fella.......You brought it up about not wearing it, someone is jsut asking why is all.....

Personally only peice of equipment I will give you **** about is a helmet....... All other gear is on you, you know the risk of with or without..... ride comfy

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Really..... Your reading what I have been saying as "scope out every landing every run......

Didnt I type straight up that you should take it easy for the first run...... Then by all rights go Balls out??? Yeah... yeah thats exactly what I said.....

I also agree fully you should never DH alone, shouldnt really ride anything alone.... BUT Dh especially.....

In most every post I have had, I have repeated myself again and again... ****ty methods used for trail closure/erosion control whatever.......But fact still remains...... Rider could have overall been the one to prevent this.....

Rider should have scoped out the blind drop.... being it was his first run, after a snow season, on opening day......... too much could have been changed since the last time he was there....
reread - it was NOT 1st run.

2nd - you state 'what if there's a rider down' -- is this phenomena exclusiveto a 1st run?

No? Your argument is now COMPLETELY debunked.

Stop.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
reread - it was NOT 1st run.

2nd - you state 'what if there's a rider down' -- is this phenomena exclusiveto a 1st run?

No? Your argument is now COMPLETELY debunked.

Stop.
No it isnt...... I did say on your first run, multiple times in this thread.....

The only reason I brought up the rider down on the landing was just to put into perspective who would be at fault then..... didnt really pertain to any wrong or right doing.......... just simply saying how a single situation

EDIT...... just reread my posts...... and in five prior to my last pointing out.... all had the same statement..... first run, take it easy and check your****.....then go for it.....

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

No... there is one VERY good reason you should still be checking it.... probably moreso somewere there are people taht are actually working on the trails......... Trail feature changes and modifications....

Again especially being this was opening day, right after what should have been alot of maintanence............. park could have completly rebuilt the landing........ Thats change you dont know about..... You should be looking.... again on your first run, scope it.... then by all means go hammer it

No... I am not conufsing it at all.......... I am saying simply, that with the use of the personal responsibility........... the side effect would have been that the rider would have seen this gross negligence, therfore saving himself the pain and headache.

Again somewere there is alot of maintenance, and were people are regularly updating and changing trails and features its actually more important to get a feed on the trails, and check them out............ Local trails dont generally have people out on a regular basis modifying the trails or features... Places dedicated to a sport do.... In fact most advertise that they are regularly changing and modifying trails.

I think it is absolutly retarded to lay your own safety at someone elses hands with this sport. Its been pointed out.... Diablo has 44 trails/runs...... How many of those will someone ride in a given day...... I doubt anyone here is going to ride every single run in one day...... Seriously, Your probably going to pick five or six trails and ride the **** out of them all day..... so your first run from top to bottom took 15 minutes instaed of ten..... Next run is balls out and you know damn near exactly what to expect aside from other riders, possible fallen trees, possible trail damage from excessive use ETC..... But you know if the features have been changed or modified

Please everyone look closer at what is being put into words, read it completly....... I am not argueing who is strongly at fault, I am not arguing that a stack of branches in the landing would ever be a good idea, Hell I am not even arguing taht the park would in fact have their asses handed to them in court.... Hell the park would be ****ed in this cases six times over minimum...... I am simply saying, that the byproduct of more personal responsibility will keep riders safer, the byproduct of checking **** before going into it blind after the off season/snow season would have shown the rider something was wrong..... I am not saying the rider should be looking for **** like this...... Just that it would have been seen.

Oh, for the record....... Other than the two private trails in my area..... None of the local trails<there is alot> have changed other than weather erosion......... Yet when BB was open, I found the trails Dramatically different every other weekend from trail work..... turns changes, burms modified, landings modified, sections cut out/added........Some of the runs up there were eight to ten minutes average..... My first run I would take fiften to twenty....... at the end of the day I still have 15 to 20 runs total........

Your standing at a crosswalk waiting for the go light.... it changes, you step out without looking and get hit.... Yeah the driver is full on balls out at fault... There is no question about that at all...... BUT as the pedestrian, if you simply took five to ten seconds longer and looked first....... Your own personal responsibility just saved you the headache of the whole situation when the byproduct was seeing the jackass on his phone that isnt paying **** for attention........
And if Diablo was not a business, this post would make sense.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
And if Diablo was not a business, this post would make sense.
Well...... I dont want to be the guy that breaks my neck and sues a resort to get millions..... I prefer to keep my neck in one peice........

Business or not..... You still have to the last line for your own safety....

Its not rocket science......

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what is hopefully learned from this situation is for mountains to adopt better ways of closing off trails that were meant to be closed. off shoots of main trails, like Anthem, should have something a bit better then rope and debris (if thats what was used) to emphasize the fact that its suppose to be closed.
if someone actually did take down the debris and other trail blockers (but left the sticks on the landing:confused:,) then they are assh*les. those types of things ruin it for the rest of us. plus if a trail builder has it closed, theres probably a pretty good reason for that.

a simple dry erase or blackboard with trail information can go a long way.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Yes, reread this WAS NOT his first run.

Done (AGAIN)
Ah...... It was though his first attempt at the drop...... in his description with the speed to srop it, by the time you see the landing there is no stopping......

Should be checking it first...

What I find really funny.... even the OP, the rider in question has come to say it himself..... Yeah he should have looked being the first time he was hitting it that day.........

Guess for some it just takes getting hurt to learn that lesson.

Again, its not about absolving the resort, its about looking out for yourself to prevent the situation in the first place.... wrong or right its about saving the headache over the long run

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Ah...... It was though his first attempt at the drop...... in his description with the speed to srop it, by the time you see the landing there is no stopping......

Should be checking it first...

What I find really funny.... even the OP, the rider in question has come to say it himself..... Yeah he should have looked being the first time he was hitting it that day.........

Guess for some it just takes getting hurt to learn that lesson.

Again, its not about absolving the resort, its about looking out for yourself to prevent the situation in the first place.... wrong or right its about saving the headache over the long run
You keep checking each feature every time you hit it, that is what you're saying, despite not conceding that.

Emjoy living in fear of everything and avoiding life because it might hurt you and refusing to accept that some things are out of your control, and the responsibility of others.

Next guy's gonna sue, we lose the mountain, all your idealism is for ****.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

tl;dr

paying customers. business.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

As I wrote in a previous post:

Ummmmm, no. The signs are up to tell you to check out the feature to ensure that you know what it is and that your skills can handle it, not to check to see whether the trail crew had intentionally fuxored the landing.

Also, while I don't know about the OP's skill-level, I know that for myself I would hit it (blind) confident in my abilities to ride out any naturally occurring debris/ruts/erosion/etc. If a branch had fallen cross-wise across the trial, so be it. If they turned a 5' drop into a 9' drop with a longer tranny, I could handle it. Those are things that can be reasonably expected, and so it's the rider's responsibility to check for them if he/she isn't confident in his/her riding abilities.

Multiple logs/branches intentionally placed *lengthwise* in the landing is not expected.
As I noted, if they changed/improved the feature and I hit it without looking, the onus is on me to either a) ride it out or b) crash and know that it was my fault. Logs placed lengthwise is intentionally dangerous and has no place in mtn biking!

As far as checking every single time, name one other product or service that you buy that you check every single time to make sure that it will work as intended? Do you walk ski runs to make sure that they are as the ski mountain described them? Do you check the lug nuts on your car after you've had your tires rotated in case the mechanics didn't torque them properly? Do you test food at restaurants for salmonella before eating your dinner? Do you personally do safety checks on rollercoasters before getting on them? Do you test the impact resistance of safety goggles before wearing them? Decibel readings for ear protection?

Those are all things that we assume are going to work as intended, since that's what we're paying money for. I don't know why you seem so intent on giving a mtn bike park a pass.......

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
You keep checking each feature every time you hit it, that is what you're saying, despite not conceding that.

Emjoy living in fear of everything and avoiding life because it might hurt you and refusing to accept that some things are out of your control, and the responsibility of others.

Next guy's gonna sue, we lose the mountain, all your idealism is for ****.
Good god son....... can you not udnerstand what I say.......

I check my **** on my first run...... I ride the **** out of it after that.... NEVER did I say I check my **** every ****in run... thats retarded

Never did I say anything about the branchees being a ****ty idea, or that the people that put them there are absolved in any way...

There is no idealism here, its plain and simple, dont be retarded and put your full safety and trust into something you can simply take a few extra minutes to ensure for yourself......

Yeah you get seriosuly hurt, you sue, you win....... Ok you got cash, but your out of work, possibly paralyzed or whatever lifechanging serious injury you sustained...... when if you just nutt up and look out for yourself.... You lived, you did not get hurt by someone elses asshat move........

I will not concede that I do check **** on every run, that is never what I said, that is never what I was promoting......

God I hate when people put words into my mouth for me despite what I am listing......

You youngins just go right ahead and keep riding **** full on all the time without looking because "You paid the lift ticket fee, it should be right...."

Learn the hard way that people are people, humans make mistakes...........

Last edited: