Quantcast

Do any DH mountains have plans to open this year?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
it's pretty clear they suck at timing and are more interested in mountaintop yoga classes, but it would still be nice to ride my FURY there before they close for good.
I love the way they run. Instead of me saying that I need to get up there this year, I now say "Patty's open next weekend. Let's go." and we go! No more wishing I was there cause I am there.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, an employee from there said they have trail crew and patrollers working to get things ready but are waiting for government permission. I'm waiting to hear about Sol Vista. With Vail/Breck/Keystone and Winter Park almost certainly not opening this could be a year for Sol Vista to really make some money.
They put out a press release saying they'd be opening to season pass holders soon, re-evaluating a few weeks later for regular public. Sounds good.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
In California - Mammoth and Northstar have no ETAs yet. Mt Shasta's FB says they are working on the trails in prep for when they're allowed to open.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my local mountain, after delaying by 3 weeks, has pulled in their opening and will open this weekend, still only for passholders. don't think i'm gonna guinea pig it.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Creek trail crew -- excuse me -- crüe is out working, so that's encouraging.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i think i've decided i'm gonna hold off a few weeks and not guinea pig myself. will just pay for a ticket if/when the option finally becomes available.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not a DH park, but a local bike park owned by a family just announced that they won't be opening this year. What a bummer, the owner takes immaculate care of the trails and its a tight-nit little place - cash only and has some of the best Canadian shield tech riding around here. Bummed for Mike the owner, I'm sure it won't be easy for them this year.

A message from Mike...
Hello... I know what I'm about to post is going to fall well short of satisfying everyone's concerns, under the circumstances it's necessary for me as the owner operator of Buckwallow to make a statement.
I'm not confident that I can meet the required health and safety guidelines under Ontario's state of emergency.
These rules are put in place to protect staff and customers that I care about immensely.
Little else has occupied my mind, and to end the perpetual state of limbo I've decided not to open till the spring of 2021.
I apologize for for the obvious disappointment. I wish it was different.
Thank you very much... Mike
Meanwhile the DH park about an hour from Toronto is set to open on Friday. The place sucks, as the trails are quite sandy and ridiculously short, but I'm sure it'll be a gong show on Saturday with the larger bike park not too far away announcing that they're closed for the year. :popcorn:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not a DH park, but a local bike park owned by a family just announced that they won't be opening this year. What a bummer, the owner takes immaculate care of the trails and its a tight-nit little place - cash only and has some of the best Canadian shield tech riding around here. Bummed for Mike the owner, I'm sure it won't be easy for them this year.

Meanwhile the DH park about an hour from Toronto is set to open on Friday. The place sucks, as the trails are quite sandy and ridiculously short, but I'm sure it'll be a gong show on Saturday with the larger bike park not too far away announcing that they're closed for the year. :popcorn:
comes down to resourcing unfortunately.

kick the guy a few bucks as a donation to help ensure it'll come back next year.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my local mountain seems to have had enough success with their season passholder only opening this past weekend that they are offering a limited number of day tickets starting this weekend. online purchase only, 30 tickets per day.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
There are some POV videos out from last weekend's riding in German bike parks. The lift lines looked like they would be a perfect place to get the virus....and I am not talking the biking one. :disgust1:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
There are some POV videos out from last weekend's riding in German bike parks. The lift lines looked like they would be a perfect place to get the virus....and I am not talking the biking one. :disgust1:
Always knew STD's where rampant at those bigger hills.......

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
my local mountain seems to have had enough success with their season passholder only opening this past weekend that they are offering a limited number of day tickets starting this weekend. online purchase only, 30 tickets per day.
That's what Blue calls a busy day

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
This was from Highland today a la Instagram.
Yikes. Although that angle it may be hard to tell how far apart people all. Does NH have a mask requirement?

Talked to a guy who was at opening day for Blue. Everyone was respecting the distancing guideline and he only saw one person without a mask.
I’m not sure about NH. We do still here in Mass. Masks are required while in line this weekend at Thunder.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've pedaled up-and-over and into Trestle from the North between bike and ski seasons. Its work but fun, but then you're descending on your trail bike.
Plenty of fun to be had at Trestle on an enderpo rig. Big DH ride not needed for most everything IMO.

One day before they opened, I rode my bike up to the top of the first lift at Alyeska. F-ing bloody steep mountain that is.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@mykel I rode across the street from Horseshoe today. Parking lot was full pretty much.

One guy in line said he got in two runs over two hours, the line was longggggg.