Does anybody read [books] anymore?

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
BLOODLANDS
Europe between Hitler and Stalin
Timothy Snyder

Really dry but interesting facts and statistics. Funny how some of the propaganda of the past appears in present news and is now espoused by politicians of all strips.

Stalin was one clever SOB, killed millions in the late 30's while the Left (Press/media) in the USA looked the other way.

J

Last edited:

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand

The write up actually doesnt do it justice.

Decades long virtual wars to decide if virtual hells are morally allowed, disfunctional spaceships and a fictional outlook that is disturbingly close to our possible collective future all wrapped up in a comical, trippy, space jaunt with a DNA tattooed heroine hell bent on revenge. Great stuff. :thumb:

Last edited:

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Just finished

Amazing book. Read it cover to cover in one sitting. Really, it's worth the four bucks on amazon.

Just started reading

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
just finished God's Middle Finger, excellent read. british guy goes bumming around in the most dangerous region in mexico and writes a book about it. kind of an expose with commentary on the drug war, mexican society, and some history. highly recommended.

Last edited:

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Just finished Under the Banner of Heaven. Wow, those Mormons come from a pretty chaotic history. John Krakauer is an amazing writer. Into the Wild and Into Thin Air both kept me up all night.

Under the banner of Heaven. Must read in my opinion.

Can anyone reccomend any space sci fi? I also recently finished The Forever War, it was really good.

Thanks,

RR

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Generation Kill- cant put this one down.
Anthony Bourdain's nw book something about a Bloody Valentine...it is OK. Gotta be able to take Tony's personality to get through it.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Just finished "Shadow divers" by Robt Kurson. Interesting read, going to read the anti book, "Shadow Divers exposed" next. Good book about wreck diving and WW 2 U boat history...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Dry read that takes a while to soak up and consider but rather mind-blowing with some post read consideration. More science than hippy metaphysical bull****.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Work related:

Facebook still annoys me, but now I see it's benefit.
Another good book that is probably related is The Thank You Economy by Gary Vaynerchuk. I've been a little bit skeptical of social media, but he makes a really good argument for it. As I read it, I'm thinking what I think I've really been annoyed by are the self described social media experts who don't do anything but spam their friends on facebook on behalf of local businesses. When used properly, it really can benefit both businesses and their customers.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Man was "The Worst Hard Time" depressing. Great read, fantastically written, but yikes though, those poor people. :(

Currently reading:

I think I need a palate cleanser though. Been reading nothing but Non-fiction and Economics for probably a year now. Gonna pick up a couple of the sci-fi and/or fantasy books people here have been recommending. Any other recommendations?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
A quick, but heavy read. A gargantuan accomplishment considering the author wrote it by blinking his left eye, his only voluntary movement after his stroke, with the help of a lady transcribing the blinks.

I watched the DVD of it alone on a Sunday night and it hit me hard.

I've never been a big reader but over the last few months I just can't take the crap on tv anymore so I got a nook and have just been reading 1 book after another - not trash but nothing too heavy either.

And thanks to BV's list (in this thread) I've read some Hiaasen books - definitely good reads! :)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I check to see if I'm in the phonebook every year. I just moved so I have to wait a year. I looked up occupant and they aren't in there either so I'll keep you all posted.... I really wish they would get this straightened out as they get a lot of mail and I am forced to throw it out when the pile gets to big. I tried to give it back to the Mailman but he just runs away from me now.....

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo/The Girl who Played with Fire/The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest -Steig Larsson

Great Books!

:thumb:

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Question for Kindle users:

I read pretty fast and my husband got me a kindle last Christmas. Coupled with a job where I have a lot of time to sit at my desk and read, this has become the gift that keeps on giving! If anyone has some suggestions for free or cheap (under $5 or $6 maybe) books I would appreciate it. I've sorted the entire kindle list by price and there are many free books, but I've never heard of many of them and most don't have reviews. I mostly enjoy fiction: mysteries, thrillers, feel good books, and books that make you think. (Recent examples: "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy, "Water for Elephants," and have enjoyed Tom Robbins)

Ok, thanks to anyone who replies!