Quantcast

Downsides to the fox40 anyone?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I know there's prolly been something about this but the search didnt give me much.
So, has anyone ("WHO ACTUALLY OWNS OR HAS HAD SOME DECENT RIDING DONE ON A FOX40RC") discovered any downsides to these forks?
Im currently on a 05 v10 with 03 Dorado's and I was thinking of getting the 40RC for it because of the weight and the increase of travel.
So why should or shouldnt I go for the Fox?
Oyeah money isnt an issiue and yes, I am a weight weenie. :sneaky:

Thnx

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Well, all fox forx are sealed dampers. You CAN take it apart (I did all the time when i worked for fox), but without the tech manuals to reassemble it, and some new seasl, you are pretty much screwed.

Nothing in there should be breaking anyways. I have had a float RLC since the day they came out, DJing on it, never had to touch the dampers.

Price is definately the downside, no question there in my mind.

The crown however was another story...

slowseth

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
price is not an issue anymore, you can get a brand new 40 RC2 for $1400. steerer will be cut for a medium demo 8, pm me.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I remember some comments about it being very linear (like all Fox forks) and has a tendency to bottom out. The search button might enlighten you with Fox 40 info better than me ;)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Zark said:
I remember some comments about it being very linear (like all Fox forks) and has a tendency to bottom out. The search button might enlighten you with Fox 40 info better than me ;)
I rode Joe Pozer's around and it definatly feels linear, at least directly out of the box.

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
other downsides for me, not having ridden it are: no direct mount stem, weird hope caliper adapters. That may change in the future though.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Joe Pozer said:
I disagree as to this being a negative. Please allow me to quote myself:

"Looking at the Fox fork takes me back to the days of my youth...I remember oh so well cruising in my primer colored V6 camaro, T-tops off and my Mullet flowing in the wind."

from thread:
I'm an attention whore so please look at my bike

Sweet, I try to explain to people that are not from the Southeast that Primer really is a desirable color for some residents. :)

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Jeremy R said:
Sweet, I try to explain to people that are not from the Southeast that Primer really is a desirable color for some residents. :)
Growing up in Florida I always thought that it was a State law that every household must have at least one primer colored car up on blocks on their front yard

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
yeah, that cap on the right leg looks a bit sketchy if you spend time in the rocks. But in all fairness, how often do you ding yer rotors...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
slowseth said:
yeah but im cookin up a smokin deal!
Someone had one at the GGG for $999 cash. Yes it was an RC2 uncut. Now that is a smokin' deal. $1,400 is just okay IMO...

If $1,400 was such a great deal you'd have no issue selling it fast.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
manwithgun said:
yeah, that cap on the right leg looks a bit sketchy if you spend time in the rocks. But in all fairness, how often do you ding yer rotors...

Er.....did that last weekend.......

Any word on the resistance to rocks etc on these things? I seem to recall someone saying the legs are larger, and lighter than boxxers. Now knowing people having trouble with punching holes in there boxxer lowers, it doesn't shoot confidence into me about them. Even though, from first look, feel etc, they're bloody nice. Joe, smacked them off anything recently?

tanja

Chimp
Nov 16, 2004
Kevin said:
I know there's prolly been something about this but the search didnt give me much.
So, has anyone ("WHO ACTUALLY OWNS OR HAS HAD SOME DECENT RIDING DONE ON A FOX40RC") discovered any downsides to these forks?
Im currently on a 05 v10 with 03 Dorado's and I was thinking of getting the 40RC for it because of the weight and the increase of travel.
So why should or shouldnt I go for the Fox?
Oyeah money isnt an issiue and yes, I am a weight weenie. :sneaky:

Thnx

Got you stoked? :P

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
saw in another thread that paying for all that uber-lightness of the Ti spring does you no good whatsoever if you're:
A. Lighter than "average" and replace it with a softer spring
B. Heavier than "average: and replace it with the stiffer spring

...because those two springs are steel, not Ti.
That is kind of deceptive because you automaticly have to pay for something incredibly expensive and light that you'll never use.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
* It's not an Avy... :blah:

* On a slightly more serious note, I can only presume that the seals are light years ahead of what they had in the Nilla 125s...Although, those (i.e. mine) never sprayed oil all over the place, just constant, slow leak...Could be somewhat muted with the use of some Slick Honey glopped under the wipers, but still...

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
@ Tanja
Yes I guess you did LOL.
I was offered a Fox yesterday for a "special price" and it got me thinking.
How were your impressions on the Fox?

@Animine
I got her down to about a little over 40lbs (18kg) which is allready pretty good for an 11" travel bike I guess.
Im just thinking my bike will be better balanced with a little extra travel up front. Offcourse the Fox will also be stiffer then the Dorado and a little lighter.

As for now the only thing that kinda bothers me is the fork being very linear and easy to bottom. Coming of a Shiver Im kinda used to it but till now I like the Dorado for not bottoming so hard on me as the Shiver did. (only had about 2 days riding on it though so compression and rebound are still kinda sticky)
Guess Ill just have to try it myself sometime or wait till more people get to really know the Fox before I can make up ma damn mind.
Thanks for the input so far though, even the ones that were totally off topic and were of no use what so ever :D

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
So i guess you'll have to be brave and just get one,or wait 6 months since no one here cares to post anything worthwhile about the 40.

I found it to be easy to bottom compared to an 888 or Avy,but easily on par with a Dorado.

If you're into just jumping/dropping it may not be the 1st choice but for ripping race courses the damping is very good.

Van Dine just got back from the Bootleg canyon Fox training/tuning weekend and is very happy with the fork after installing the firm spring.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
so Van Dine's fork is actually now 7.35lbs as opposed to 6.9lbs if he's got the steel spring? :devil:
Hey Krispy...if we get to come out to Deer Valley for the nat....keep an eye out for me. I'll be the white trash on the white DHR... yeeehhhhaaawww!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
leprechaun said:
I found it to be easy to bottom compared to an 888 or Avy,but easily on par with a Dorado.
I also found it to bottom easy, and only turned hi speed comp up like the manual said, but a friend called fox and they said to turn both adjusters up, something about them being on the same circuit). I went full in on both and it made a huge difference, way too stiff and hard to push... . I backed them both off and set them to about the middle of their range, and it feels alot better. Ill see this weekend riding the same place as the first day. I can then make minor changes to the adjusters during shuttle runs... Ill know places to hit where i did bottom the first time, and concentrate on whats happening. Im on the fence if i need the yellow spring or not. (im about 240 w/o gear)... Sag seems about right, but i also have full preload on the stiffer spring, i'd like to back that off.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
bizutch said:
so Van Dine's fork is actually now 7.35lbs as opposed to 6.9lbs if he's got the steel spring? :devil:
Hey Krispy...if we get to come out to Deer Valley for the nat....keep an eye out for me. I'll be the white trash on the white DHR... yeeehhhhaaawww!
Cept for he's all pro'd out and getting a ti firm spring soon! Sucker!!
See ya at DV!

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
I heard somewhere that the lowers had really soft & thin metal, so rocks made really "pronounced" dings and mashes or something. I just heard this once and I forget from who (so I'm not sure if it was a reliable source or not), so I'm hoping it's just a rumor

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Bldr_Freerider said:
I heard somewhere that the lowers had really soft & thin metal, so rocks made really "pronounced" dings and mashes or something. I just heard this once and I forget from who (so I'm not sure if it was a reliable source or not), so I'm hoping it's just a rumor
Mine should be here tomorrow. I will throw some nuts and bolts at it for ya and let you know. :)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Bldr_Freerider said:
I heard the samething, time will tell. By Sept-Oct we'll all have a good idea on how it performs and holds up.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Bldr_Freerider said:
I heard somewhere that
Whenever I hear a sentence start like this I immediately ignore all info included with the phrase ;).....I think the main problem is just not enough people are riding the fork yet since it's still pretty new...I think you we will get a better response around May.....D