Quantcast

Downsides to the fox40 anyone?

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
BMXman said:
I think the main problem is just not enough people are riding the fork yet since it's still pretty new...I think you we will get a better response around May.....D
So true, so true :thumb:

tanja

Chimp
Nov 16, 2004
Kevin said:
@ Tanja
Yes I guess you did LOL.
I was offered a Fox yesterday for a "special price" and it got me thinking.
How were your impressions on the Fox?
Sorry, didn't get there was a response.

I liked it a lot! It's so smooth and together with the demo a realy nicely balanced package. It was for my friends injury (not badly) or else I'd still be flying around somewhere out there (or wrapped around some tree of exhaustion). It has that huge knob at the bottom of the right lower, big protection casing around it, but it's asking for trouble I guess, but apart from that... It's a never ending story for me that fork, but if that's saying anything for you? You dorado's felt pretty awsome and that V10 got me and my friend stoked :rolleyes: The only downside of the Fox is... HOW AM I EVER GONNA ENJOY MY SLIDERS AGAIN? Trade anyone?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
after riding Southern Rocks this weekend..there is no way in the world that little tab thing would have survived that day. My 888 has some gnar scrapes on the underside of the lowers on it. Can't imagine what that plastic case would look like.

jmeperu

Monkey
Jan 20, 2005
Santa Cruz
hey i acuually have these forks and they work well. they do tend to bottom off big hits but mine are set up for racing plushhhhhhhhhhhhh! the compression dampiners do alot of good if you want to huck off something and then continue racing. the paint is super durable, i came around a turn leaning a little too far and hie the lower on a rock at 20+mph and i hit my nuts on the stem pretty hard but the first thing i looked at was my fork. full speed into a rock and not even a trace of a scratch. the stickers are also thick vinal decals.
they come with extra springs for heavy or light guys, but they are steel. raise the weight about 1lb if you use those.
these work better than ANY fork ive ever owned (Dorado, world cup boxxer, 888)
the only downside to these forks is the drool that puddles up around them when people stare.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
oly said:
its not plastic. Its a very thick aluminum cover with a coarse thread. I think it can take more abuse than people think...... time will tell.....
thick? Must be different than the cover that was on that Fox 40 at my shop because that one was made of thin cast type material.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Acadian said:
thick? Must be different than the cover that was on that Fox 40 at my shop because that one was made of thin cast type material.
The one on my 36 is pretty thick machined aluminum. Looks like it could take some abuse. Plus what other courses have rocks like Windrock?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Acadian said:
Guess the term "thick" is debatable... teh one on my fork is pretty stout. I dont think its cast either, but i could be wrong......

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Acadian said:
- Some sections at Bootleg Canyon
- North Star
- and I'm sure lots of other places
Clayton, OK. The BB and downtube of my bike are really dinged up, along with the bottom part of my 888.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Acadian said:
- Some sections at Bootleg Canyon
- North Star
- and I'm sure lots of other places
Yep, sections of Snowshoe, Yardsale, Diablo, a couple of our local shuttles,
rocks are pretty much everywhere.
And as far as I know, pretty much all forks are gonna pop if you hit one hard enough. Chris put a hole in a boxxer lower this weekend, that was the size of a quarter, and a half inch deep. Oil shot out like Jed Clampett hit it with his rifle.
Rocks are bad, rocks are good.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I've ridden Snowshoe and Bootleg. The impression I get from Windrock (haven't ridden there) is that there are more rocks there. It's all e-speculation anyway. Until 50 people knock the covers/adjusters off the bottom of their forks.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Dogboy said:
I've ridden Snowshoe and Bootleg. The impression I get from Windrock (haven't ridden there) is that there are more rocks there. It's all e-speculation anyway. Until 50 people knock the covers/adjusters off the bottom of their forks.
There may be more rocks at Windrock, but it only takes one.
I am not talking about Fox forks here, as I have no idea how they will hold up.
I just like talking about rocks. :love:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The cover on the 36 doesn't stick out very far below the bottom of the drop-out, I think the 40 protrudes farther. The cover is machined aluminum and has many threads of engagement. Plus it fits snugly so the adjuster inside may stiffen it a bit in a severe impact. Either way, I am not too worried about it at least not on the 36. The 40 may be another story though.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Transcend said:
The important thing to remember is that ISN'T the adjuster itself, it is simply a cover.
Fraser...if Can get a chance, I'll snap you apic of my fork lower...I'll draw a little imaginary extension to look like your adjuster cover...then pretend that my rock hits your "cover"....then pretend your cover and your adjuster are still there after the contact.

Maybe if somebody snapped a pic of Herndon's Boxxer lower leg, it owuld give a good indication of what I'm talking about.... :oink: :oink: :oink:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
bizutch said:
Fraser...if Can get a chance, I'll snap you apic of my fork lower...I'll draw a little imaginary extension to look like your adjuster cover...then pretend that my rock hits your "cover"....then pretend your cover and your adjuster are still there after the contact.

Maybe if somebody snapped a pic of Herndon's Boxxer lower leg, it owuld give a good indication of what I'm talking about.... :oink: :oink: :oink:
I ride bromont 3 days a week all summer, I know how rocks work. I really don't think it is as big a deal as the E Speculators like to make it out to be. According to the fox guys I asked (engineers), no one in testing had managed to snap one off...This includes at the world cups like Ste Anne.

I am not worried in the least to be honest.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Transcend said:
I ride bromont 3 days a week all summer, I know how rocks work. I really don't think it is as big a deal as the E Speculators like to make it out to be. According to the fox guys I asked (engineers), no one in testing had managed to snap one off...This includes at the world cups like Ste Anne.

I am not worried in the least to be honest.
you're totally harshing my pessimistic vibe with your Canadian optimism....too bad Fury, Flow and crew didn't get to me when they came down a few weeks ago. All that positive mindset might have rubbed off on me... :heart:

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
yea im super scared of that adjuster. Last year on my dorado, my first time riding it at the US Open i took off half the friggen bottom left nut underneath. Im just keeping my fingers crossed on the fox, ive only heard good things about their service anyways. I just dont get why they wouldnt put the knob on the left leg so then maybe atleast the rotor would protect it a bit more? better yet just get rid of the thing

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Pip3r said:
I just dont get why they wouldnt put the knob on the left leg so then maybe atleast the rotor would protect it a bit more? better yet just get rid of the thing
Uh, because then the adjuster leaks oil it would get all over your rotor? ;)

Seriously, people wanted a light dh fork with external adjustments. I'm not sure but even if there was a way to make it work from the top of the fork, wouldn't it significantly lengthen the adjuster rods and thus increase weight? It does seem like they could have made each adjuster about half as tall though...

Masse

Chimp
Feb 15, 2005
Finland
Off-topic, sorry about that. I tried to search, but came up with nothing useful. Anyway, title says it already. What is Fox 40`s axle-to-race lenght? I`m e-speculating my upcoming Uzzi VPX head angle. Thanks for the help. :heart:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
does anyone know who makes ti springs for the 40?
and whats the useable rider weight range for the stock spring? coz i am not really happy about using the light (heavy) springs :( :angry:

nixhexss

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
New York
You guys need to remember like Fraser said, these forks were tested for over a year by the top pros on the planet. None of them ripped one off that we know of. And they've been out to us, the public, for a month or so now and no stories of any problems yet. I'm definitely skeptical about the placement but I think we'll be alright.

I'm sure I'll rip mine off tomorrow now.....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
nixhexss said:
You guys need to remember like Fraser said, these forks were tested for over a year by the top pros on the planet. None of them ripped one off that we know of. And they've been out to us, the public, for a month or so now and no stories of any problems yet. I'm definitely skeptical about the placement but I think we'll be alright.

I'm sure I'll rip mine off tomorrow now.....
maybe. if you ride Plattekill, that's about the most jagged rock infested place I've ridden.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
i'll find out soon eonough I guess at the Open. Plattekill is retarded...I've never had to let go of the brakes to slow down before...a rock would get caught under your wheel like a ski and you'd accelerate!!! Hahah...there was even a tree laying across one of the chutes in the course when we walked it.

I was like...how the heck are you gonna get across that at race speed...by the second practice runt here was 2 feet of shale covering it. :D I miss that place...only been there once but it's like yesterday.

crash test

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Nepaug, CT
dante said:
personal opinion is that parts of Diablo are worse. at Platt the rocks slide with you, at Diablo they're just big, square and immobile. :oink:
IMO, Diable rocks are fun. Plattekille rocks are not.

Both are comparable in their rocky terrain but like previously said Platekill is just treacherous because all the rocks are shale and move. Add some water into the mix like past years at Pkill and you have a scraped up fork..

I am definately curious how the Fox will hold up. I would love to have it for certain races. For now the AVY MT will have to do..

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
Plattekille is weak. I dont know what all the hype is about. The rocks move out of your way. Try riding in santa barbara, where the fork was tested a lot. Way bigger rocks, and they don't move out of the way.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
beaverbiker said:
Plattekille is weak. I dont know what all the hype is about. The rocks move out of your way. Try riding in santa barbara, where the fork was tested a lot. Way bigger rocks, and they don't move out of the way.
:thumb: ahh, I'm riding Tunnel on Thursday :D

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
beaverbiker said:
Nice coast bashing, but this is not a regional argument.
It is a common sense one.
People are concerned with a metal piece hanging inches off the bottom of their fork. I don't know much about geology, but I believe a hard enough hit on either coast from a ROCK, and you know the result. It has been happening to derrailuers for years. Some are stronger than others, but its pretty much a general rule, hanging metal pieces off the bottom of your bike = bad. If the fork is good enough, that would not keep me from buying it, but it is obvious that this is something worth mentioning.

nixhexss

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
New York
yeah like some said...parts of diablo are def a lil rougher than sections of platty but as a whole plattekill would take the cake. BUT, who the hell cares!?

Moral of the story = when someone's compression knobby thingamabobber breaks off, let us know. good day