Quantcast

E-13 prototype crank

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Nice and narrow where the arm meets the spindle. Right where all the leverage is.

Perfect.
In fairness, that's also where cranks tend to be thickest (parallel to the pedal/spindle axes) in order to have a large mating surface with the spindle's splines. Middleburns look similar too.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Hm, that would nicely fit to my new bike. Why is there no thread in pedal inserts, or is it just not-focused photo?
A long shot, but maybe a rapid prototype.. just painted up to see how it looks...

Maybe..but most likely camera no in focus:thumb:

Looks good though, e13 always make good products

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
someone from e.13 chime in here and set this place straight.

I will be in the market for some 83mm cranks soon enough...looks like a great option.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Theres some sublte differences like the ridge down the length of the crank more milling on the around BB face on e-13 but REAL REAL close....
It was actually (what appears to be) the 30mm DIN polygon spindle that made me think of the 15G cranks.

Regardless, if e13 is releasing a 83mm version of what is essentially that crank it would be pretty sweet!

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
yeah looks a lot like the hive cranks.. maybe a joint project? The Hive seems to be more focused on singlespeed/cyclocross/XC/road type stuff, maybe marketing 83mm DH cranks wouldn't fit in the hive lineup, and fit better in e13s? Also doesn't e-13 make everything in the USA? kinda weird that a Japanese site would have pictures of a e-13 part.. t

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
I think it's kinda funny that E.13 is doing cranks now. It reminds me of the E.13 XCX and MRP 1.X guides. One of them came out first, I don't remember which nor really care, and then the other did some time later. Pretty much the same design but differences that make them an E.13 or a MRP. Now I'm sure Phillip or Dave and/or lots of other users will reply to this telling me I'm wrong and they aren't the same or blah blah. But it's just funny to me how chainguide development between both companies is strikingly similar, whether it be copying or coincidence. Even the similarities between the 2011 MRP G2 SL and the LG1+ are quite noticeable. But then, how many different ways can you design a chainguide, right? Haha.

Regardless, the cranks look dope and way doper than the MRP cranks :P

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Wait...wait...let's see....yep, you guys CAN get your tongue up e13's ass a bit more...

Saints FTMFW

:D :D
seriously...these looks like truvativ knockoffs...I'm sure they have plenty of antisquat and voodoo magic, but I wonder what the draw will be vs. the cheap, reliable, strong shimano variety?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Let's see the backside. No hollow, no care.
There is a reason all the small companies have been flushed out of the crank market. It takes a lot of volume to make hollow cranks and everything else bends or is stupid heavy.

Spindle/crank interface is key too. RF knows all about this.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Cheap? You haven't priced Saint lately, huh? $425 msrp... :eek:
true, but I paid much less mail order and for the very top of the line cranks they are, they are a steal. Shimano has a full lineup, though not technically for hardcore DH that is cheap and dead reliable.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
seriously...these looks like truvativ knockoffs
:rofl:

Okay. They're cranks. What, exactly, did you expect them to look like? Did you do a quick FEA on the photograph?

I wonder what the draw will be vs. the cheap, reliable, strong shimano variety?
I don't know where these will be targeted, but there will be the same draw as any other cranks. Shimano doesn't own the crank market. They will be a different weight and different quality and different strength qualities as other cranks - for better or worse. And people will make buying decisions on that. I don't know how you speculate on how a crankset competes in the market with no information but a photo.

I can even see frame speculation on just a photo, since you can make educated judgments about suspension design and performance based on pivot placement, but... cranks? Really? We don't even know the material or what the inside/back looks light.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
:rofl:

Okay. They're cranks. What, exactly, did you expect them to look like? Did you do a quick FEA on the photograph?

I don't know where these will be targeted, but there will be the same draw as any other cranks. Shimano doesn't own the crank market. They will be a different weight and different quality and different strength qualities as other cranks - for better or worse. And people will make buying decisions on that. I don't know how you speculate on how a crankset competes in the market with no information but a photo.

I can even see frame speculation on just a photo, since you can make educated judgments about suspension design and performance based on pivot placement, but... cranks? Really? We don't even know the material or what the inside/back looks light.
Yeah but really... can you actually fault Saints? They're freakin bombproof, super quick and easy to install/remove, no interface-wear issues like RF have, reasonable weight. Assuming these e13 cranks are actually for real, it's kind of a strange market entry for them, because in the past they've usually made stuff that basically took all the common issues with existing components and got rid of them - for example, how easy it was to destroy chainguides in the past before e13 brought in polycarbonate bashies, then when people started bending spiders and whatnot they brought out the direct-mount bashies. Their chainrings are the lightest things out there too... again assuming these cranks are actually the real deal, I'd be very surprised if they brought out something that wasn't as good as, or better than the existing market offerings.