Quantcast

Episode 3

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Just got back from the midnight show. I've had a boatload of beers as well so to make a long story short the last 30 minutes or so are really good. Besides that the rest of the film follows the last two and is pretty crappy and Ewan McGregor is the only person that actually does a decent job acting.

Basically the way I viewed it the first part of the movie was just terrible, the middle part of the movie I may as well been playing a video game (since when did spacesuits have to be done in CGI???), and the end was actually pretty darn good.

By far the funniest part of the film was when anikan or whatever his name was made some comment that started as, "Well in my point of view (or something to that affect)" and I can't remember the rest. It was pretty pathetic.

In anycase if you have $10 to spare, are a Star Wars freak, have followed the other films, or have some free time then check it out.

I guess I wasn't very impressed, but after the last two films I wasn't expecting very much.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Saw the 12:01 showing last night. It seemed like a lot of stuff happened really fast, and there were quite a few spots where some clarification would have been nice (although it was already a pretty long movie). Overall I thought it was good, although in quite a few cases the acting suffered. And what the hell was that General Greivous, a robot that coughs? :confused:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Echo said:
Saw the 12:01 showing last night. It seemed like a lot of stuff happened really fast, and there were quite a few spots where some clarification would have been nice (although it was already a pretty long movie). Overall I thought it was good, although in quite a few cases the acting suffered. And what the hell was that General Greivous, a robot that coughs? :confused:
Dammit! We don't have time to see it today and perhaps the whole weekend :(

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
TreeSaw said:
Dammit! We don't have time to see it today and perhaps the whole weekend :(
Quit whining! :D If I wasn't gonna be working at The Land all weekend, I'd come out and crash your SMBA party :p

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Echo said:
Quit whining! :D If I wasn't gonna be working at The Land all weekend, I'd come out and crash your SMBA party :p
LOL! I think the jackalopes should be crashing our party in force this weekend! It's going to be beautiful weather and GREAT riding!!! :devil:

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i think Treesaw should bring the party to the land. then we could invite the old camper folk and the scary hippies and have a spiffy ole time.

right anyway, i'm gonna see ep 3 next week sometime. can't wait

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Spoilers at the bottom - Sort of
--------------------
I thought the very beginning was entertaining but until the last 1/4 of the movie it was pretty boring. Megan almost fell asleep during that section. George Lucas really knows how to go overboard on a movie, everything was WAY too big, even the stuff that didnt need to be.

Specific things...

Anakin fell to the darkside awful fast. I mean 1 minute he was like, What have I done, and 2 seconds later he was like, I pledge my undying allegence to you (or something like that).

Also, "NOOOOOOOO"
WTF was that?

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I heard on the news that there is a group of people over 25 that dont enjoy these new movies, and the group under 25 do. Since I am under 25 I guess I do fall in that group because I thought that at least the second movie wasnt very bad at all, I like it enough. This movie has got be good, I know it.

Of course he goes dark fast, he was already going dark halfway through the second movie. :rolleyes:

Duffle

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Doing the MUni
I was quite pleasently suprised...to come from pod racing lunatics who can't act worth crap, to demented aliens with a speach impediment and floppy ears, and then to this, isn't actually all that bad. Admittedly there were some horrible/hysterical things in it...like R2D2's newfound ability to, err, bounce. I must say, the fight scenes were impressive, as usual...but they were bright and shiny, so I couldn't call them anything else.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dwaugh said:
I heard on the news that there is a group of people over 25 that dont enjoy these new movies, and the group under 25 do. Since I am under 25 I guess I do fall in that group because I thought that at least the second movie wasnt very bad at all, I like it enough. This movie has got be good, I know it.

Of course he goes dark fast, he was already going dark halfway through the second movie. :rolleyes:
I think you hit the nail on the head. I saw Return of the Jedi when it first came out when I was 8 and loved it. I saw the last two movies and thought they sucked. I watched parts of Return of the Jedi again last week and thought it was kind of stupid. It is a good series of movied for the youngin's. Us old farts just have fond memories of the first three but are too crochety to enjoy the new ones.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
i think the problem is that people read too much into this series. its not a synopsis on life or something you should base your whole existance on, its just something to entertain yourself for 2 and a half hours. if you look back at the first three, the acting was pretty crappy; while the effects were ground breaking for its time, it was mostly dudes in rubber/furry suits; and the story wasnt all that deep. you knew who was going to win at the end of the movie. the only real twists were the whole vader-im your father thing and the luke leia bro/sis angle. other than that, it was pretty straight forward. big death star gets blown up, han solo gets frozen and rescued. like you didnt see that coming

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Duffle said:
Admittedly there were some horrible/hysterical things in it...like R2D2's newfound ability to, err, bounce.
Yeah and he hauls ass all the sudden too! And how many times did we get to hear that same scream he does?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Brian HCM#1 said:
I'll wait till it comes out on DVD, like usual.
:stupid:
I'd rather go for a ride. After the last two I am soooo disillusioned with the Star Wars movies. I'd rather wait for it to come on cable or get a pirate copy than give that asshat my money.
The original star wars was the best.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ciaran said:
:stupid:
I'd rather go for a ride. After the last two I am soooo disillusioned with the Star Wars movies. I'd rather wait for it to come on cable or get a pirate copy than give that asshat my money.
The original star wars was the best.
go rewatch the originals. while not high. :nuts: they are teh suck just as much as the new ones. and natalie portman >> carrie fisher.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
N8 said:
The series peaked with Star Wars then went downhill from there.
Empire Strikes Back was the sh*t.

Return of the Jedi was weak sauce teddy bear drivel.

THEN it got even worse.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Empire was to Lucas what Master of Puppets was to Metallica.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Toshi said:
go rewatch the originals. while not high. :nuts: they are teh suck just as much as the new ones. and natalie portman >> carrie fisher.
ouch.
Geez man, I'm not high 24/7! (Actually, I am lucky if I can get high twice a week these days) :rolleyes: I have seen them all dozens of times. I just happen to like the first one the best.

Edit: "...they are teh suck...." Are you sure you're not the one who's high?

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
I was thinking of going this weekend to see it. My 5 year old love the others, although I have to fast forward through some of the parts. He wants to see this one, but I'm thinking he should wait for the DVD so I can fast forward if I need to. For the guys that have seen it, should I wait? I've heard there are some scene that would be scary for a 5 year old.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
For those of you who went to a midnight showing, I have a couple of questions to ask:

1. What costume did you wear?

2. What questions did Triumph the insult dog ask you?

3. Which one of you had this picture taken?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Episode IV was awesome.
Episode V was decent... first half was pretty good, second half was eh.
Episode VI was watchable at best.

Episode I was a disgrace.
Episode II was watchable.

I'll wait until the threaters thin out a bit before I go see it... then I'll take it in at matinee (sp?) prices - no way am I paying $9 for a friggin movie.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Really, the earlier movies were just good stories and feel good movies IMO. It was more or less the story that made them what they were.

The thing that just bugged me with the past three movies was that they moved away from the story telling and put all this slapstick humor in them and completely useless computer graphics. You can see it in the re-mastered originals as well.

The other thing (and this emcompasses alot of other recent films) is the way alot of characters interact just isn't the way that normal everyday people would and the computer graphics make for situations where physics is basically thrown out the window.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Joe Pozer said:
For those of you who went to a midnight showing, I have a couple of questions to ask:

1. What costume did you wear?

Answer

1. My costume was a ratty old hat, some torn jeans, sandals, and a dickies hoody stuffed with 5 Pabst Blue Ribbons :eviltongu

On a funny note, when getting lost on the parking lot and trying to find a place to piss I did see two guys fighting with light sabers.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
I do have a question about the movie...all the pictures of Darth Vadar...he looks more sinister than the the first one...or the 5th one...whatever the f the one I saw when I was like ten...the first to hit the theaters...why is that? Why was Darth Vadar revamped? He looks cool...I must say...

I have a friend that works for some company that was at the big thing at the guy who made up star wars ranch...Lucas? Anyway...he was showing me pictures from it...and friggin all the old skool characters were there...like chewy and darth vadar...and he didn't EVEN GET A PICTURE WITH THEM!!! I'da been ALL over that...I'll see if I can get one to post for y'all of chewy on the back of a golf cart! hahahaha!

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Just got back from viewing Episode 3.

I actually saw it in the very same theater that I saw Episode 4 in like what...27 years ago or something.

A bit too heavy on the CG stuff, but overall I think it was great. Probably the best of the 3 "new movies".

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Just came for the theater, Ep3 is by far the best of the prequels. Some VERY cheesy dialogs between the love couple, but other than that it was great.

EP1 was bad
EP2 was trying to salvage EP1 but Padme+Ani sucked and dragged the movie down
EP3 was good, so good that salvaged EP1+EP2.

Imho, just EP3 would be sufficient for a prequel.... just like Matrix 1 was enough for the trilogy.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Went and saw it earlier today. Gotta say I was quite pleased with it overall. :D There were a few things that I didn't like however... Natalie Portman's connection to the character was lacking in a few places (i.e. when she's crying to anakin and asking if hes really gone to the dark side). The plot was pretty cool and very action packed. It did jump a few times but overall it got my attention.

There were even people having lightsaber fights at the bottom in front of the screen before the movie started. Talk about entertainment. :D