Quantcast

Evil Bikes 2008

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Looking forward to riding one of these new bikes... they look great!

Bitching dorks, please STFU... thanks!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Oh heck yeah Chris, it can be done, it just takes forever, and isn't easy to get perfectly accurate results without a good sized surface plate, and the necessary measuring and machine tools to get everything parallel etc.. Let's face it, not every person using the "linkage" program has access to either a CMM or a set of 14 inch Mitutoyos, let alone a full gage pin set, or a lathe to make the necessary parts. You really need to know what you are doing. Most engineers that I know and have worked with don't even have a clue about how to inspect a part, let alone most laymen.

Just to illustrate some of the measuring challenges that I've faced over the years; How do you deal with bearing slop? I suggest pulling the bearings out of the frame and pressing the correct sized pins in. After all, it's not like the dimensions are nice round numbers, at least not on most of the bikes I work on. Physics and the natural world doesn't work on round numbers either. The dimensions are what the need to be to work. Most people measuring though, will round to the nearest round number because that's what "it's probably supposed to be". Stack up a few tolerance issues, maybe the calipers weren't exactly perpendicular to the bores, and a couple "supposed to be's" and the final dimensions can get less than accurate in a lot of cases. There is just so much fixturing of tooling and the bike together that can go wrong.

The way that I see it is that any way you slice it, its not a simple thing to measure a bike, and most guys like us will agree that using a picture is not an accurate method. Reasonably OK for single pivots, not good for linkage bikes. In my opinion of course.

Your 100% correct. I hope your not upset with what I wrote. I was just trying to point out that there are more ways to do. You are correct that the CMM is way faster though since it is easy to create axis and planes. As long as the part doesn't move you don't even need a slab of granite.

CMM's are prone to user error too. If you only knew the amount of hours I have wasted trying to analyse part dimentionals only to pick up a caliper and measure something that didn't look right on the CMM report and find that the whole layout was jacked up since someone wasn't paying attention while running the CMM. Part of the problem with a CMM measuring small bores is that surface roughness can effect the axis generated. The skilled operator will take more points than the minimum and do a gage R&R to verify the gaging method. The hack will do the minimum and have no idea if the measurement method is repeatable.

The tools for the SR71 turbine blades for instance were made without CNC or CMM equipment. That was when engineers and tool makers needed to think about measuring while designing. As you know, you can't really be effective at designing something without first considering how your going to manufacture it and how your going to measure it.

I have done both methods of measuring a frame and would bribe the CMM guys with lunch if I were to do it again. It's not fun trying to hand measure the headtube relative the suspension to get it oreinted correctly. I take it that's what your jig helps with. Not needed witht he CMM. :)

Is it spring yet? I need to ride. :D

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Ok just to clear some things up
First things off...I wasnt "having a go" at you Dave, just saying that some one who knows what their doing can measure up a frame pretty darn good with out a CMM(not everyone has one handy anyway).
As far as the this bike looks like that thing....it does get old along with other stupid comments which serve no purpose..but as General Lee said, people are entitled to say stupid things an we are entitled to call them on it.:plthumbsdown:
An im not hating on any way on EVIL in any way, i actualy like just about everything about them an their bikes:clapping:.

Oh an Dave(DW) can you PLEASE contact me?re the message i left on your visitors page an that Travis(Dante) forwarded to you via email

Last edited:

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I'm surprised that there aren't more comments from the peanut gallery about the bikes that were on display for public consumption at the FR cup this last weekend.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm not sure if this is a thread drift, but if it is, I'm sure it can't hurt!

I'm wondering if the Delta Suspension System would be a good application for all-mountain and cross country platforms?

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
For all of you guys who want to measure up some frames and then "analyze" them, give it a try by measuring pivot to pivot, and then by CMM. I have done it both ways, and the CMM is B Y F A R the fastest and most accurate way to get the job done. I also had a $5K custom measuring jig made, which I'm pretty sure that none of you have, and even that, while faster and more accurate than measuring point to point, still is fallible. My opinion as someone who has done this multiple ways. Believe it or not.
Is it one of Don's specials?

mr intense

Chimp
Apr 3, 2008
I couldn't help myself & this is for you Dave. Lucky me with some of my toys & in the end I always remember that they sent men into space with slide rules.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I couldn't help myself & this is for you Dave. Lucky me with some of my toys & in the end I always remember that they sent men into space with slide rules.
Jumping in on the Evil thread Jeff?

I'm surprised that there is no Intense thread, the new ones coming out are sick!

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Your 100% correct. I hope your not upset with what I wrote. I was just trying to point out that there are more ways to do. You are correct that the CMM is way faster though since it is easy to create axis and planes. As long as the part doesn't move you don't even need a slab of granite.

CMM's are prone to user error too. If you only knew the amount of hours I have wasted trying to analyse part dimentionals only to pick up a caliper and measure something that didn't look right on the CMM report and find that the whole layout was jacked up since someone wasn't paying attention while running the CMM. Part of the problem with a CMM measuring small bores is that surface roughness can effect the axis generated. The skilled operator will take more points than the minimum and do a gage R&R to verify the gaging method. The hack will do the minimum and have no idea if the measurement method is repeatable.

The tools for the SR71 turbine blades for instance were made without CNC or CMM equipment. That was when engineers and tool makers needed to think about measuring while designing. As you know, you can't really be effective at designing something without first considering how your going to manufacture it and how your going to measure it.

I have done both methods of measuring a frame and would bribe the CMM guys with lunch if I were to do it again. It's not fun trying to hand measure the headtube relative the suspension to get it oreinted correctly. I take it that's what your jig helps with. Not needed witht he CMM. :)

Is it spring yet? I need to ride. :D
I concur with both of these posts!:monkeydance:

Being a toolmakery type injaneer myself (and no, I have never made a hammer, although I did make a saw once!), a CMM is the best and fastest way to measure stuff, if you know what you are doing, if you dont then its a big expensive pile of poo.:poster_oops:
You could use a shadow graph as well, Ive never seen one big enough to do a whole bike, but they may be out there!:)

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
now i know this is a huge thread and these questions have been answered before but..

the adjustable geo, it says head angle min is 64degrees and bb height min is 13.78" is this possible at the same time?

has any prices for europe (france/uk if you want a specific area) been released?

what the hell is a virtual top tube? same as effective?

thanks

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
DW-
Have you played at all with any ideas to match the front suspension leverage ratios to the rear? You seem to have done a lot of work on the Revolt, I had heard 13 iterations in whatever your CAD software of choice is before settling on the leverage curve you wanted, but it still leaves the front with a 1:1 leverage through the entire travel with the only manipulation through progressive springs or suspension valving. I was talking to a coworker this morning about different suspension ideas like BMW Paralever or the front swingarm on the Bimota Tesi and it got me curious to know if you had explored that at all.

Can you push the new Evil crew to look at gear box bikes too? I know you had some intentions with Evil a few years ago but things really seemed to gone dead in that direction in the USA. I feel like the next big improvement in suspension action will come from reduced unsprung weight on the swingarm. Gearboxes and the Delta system might have some serious packaging conflicts though.

Last edited:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
the adjustable geo, it says head angle min is 64degrees and bb height min is 13.78" is this possible at the same time?

has any prices for europe (france/uk if you want a specific area) been released?

what the hell is a virtual top tube? same as effective?
Yes, b/c of the FlipChip system used on the Revolts there is a ton of geometry tuning options.

UK prices can be had via Silverfish. The French distributor is still being sorted. Something should be nailed down there very shortly.

Virtual TT & Effective TT are the same. Since that bike on the site is the original rendering I guess we can call it "virtual" ;)

Can you push the new Evil crew to look at gear box bikes too? I know you had some intentions with Evil a few years ago but things really seemed to gone dead in that direction in the USA. I feel like the next big improvement in suspension action will come from reduced unsprung weight on the swingarm. Gearboxes and the Delta system might have some serious packaging conflicts though.
We have discussed gearboxes but it's not really an option right now in the market. There aren't off-the-shelf, plug-and-play options that are either cost effective or weight competitive.

-ska todd

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Nag - Yes, there will be a batch of XL's made. I held a proto in my hands a couple weeks back. They're long for sure. The 6'3+ crowd will be pleased.

-ska todd

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Ska Todd-
Thanks for the reply. I don't really expect either of those ideas of mine to make it to production any time soon (if at all) but I think it would be an interesting path to follow. I've talked to Kevin about it a bit too. He knows that I have lots of ideas and he usually tells me why they won't work but there fun to bounce off him anyways.

And FWIW, I hope to have a Revolt built up by mid May and have been trying hard to give my money to someone so I can get a frame. :)

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
From bikeradar: "priced at £2,095 for gloss white and £2,195 for anodised black. Both come with a Fox DHX 5.0 coil shock"

-ska todd

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
From bikeradar: "priced at £2,095 for gloss white and £2,195 for anodised black. Both come with a Fox DHX 5.0 coil shock"

-ska todd
thats pretty competitive really, most high end frames are well over the £2000 mark in the uk this year

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008

-ska todd
Do you have any idea when an RC4 shock option will be available ?

Also is the cable routing on Steve and Matti's bikes the same as production ?

Cheers.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I was told at the race I was at last weekend that Steve and Matti's bikes are production frames so I would expect the routing to be the same for the rest of us. It looked pretty good on the bikes that I saw.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Do you have any idea when an RC4 shock option will be available ?

Also is the cable routing on Steve and Matti's bikes the same as production ?

Cheers.
The RC4's are planning to ship in later May. Production bikes will be similar to the routing on the latest pictures - top of the S/S.

-ska todd

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Just looking at Steve's bike on Dirtmag.co.uk, what's up with the cable ties in the linkage?
Just like safety wire from what I gathered. Better safe than sorry at a World Cup in a distant land.

-ska todd

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Bent shock bolt? Sorry, had to.
I think camera angle. The other pic on Dirt shot at the same time it looks straight and he didn't say anything about it when we talked to him earlier today that I know of. Bending 10mm steel hardware takes some major hucking. ;)

-ska todd

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
I think camera angle. The other pic on Dirt shot at the same time it looks straight and he didn't say anything about it when we talked to him earlier today that I know of. Bending 10mm steel hardware takes some major hucking. ;)

-ska todd
Dang, you got cell phone alerts for this thread? :) Figured it was camera (what I - a photo noob - calls the "fish eye", when a straight line looks bent because of lens choice).

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Bent shock bolt? Sorry, had to.
I saw that too. But looking at and handling the linkage pieces/fame in person.....I dont think they would bend like they appear to be....Very beefy links and very short hardware.

Frame looks/'parking lot' feels good for sure, I do however prefer the older proto head tube design to production...more aero!!