Quantcast

Evil Bikes 2008

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
yes and they creaked like a .....
Commys? I've head of them breaking in other places but on the headtube?

Well there was always lapierre. 3.55kg frame weight and no cracks for 1.5season of heavy crashing (I do more of that than riding)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Actualy looks exactry the same as the one on the lapierre dh-230 (the pre 09 dh models). Commy had the sleave hidden If I'm not wrong.
Pacific cycles has made the "Front Porch" headtube for much longer and I think Scott had something similar more recently too.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Aside from my trolling about this being a nice Sunn, I actually think this frame will be fantastic. I've said for a long time that the priority for DH frames should be, in order from most important:
- geometry/fit
- compression curve
- braking performance
- pedaling performance

I've never understood the emphasis on crazy linkages to improve pedaling on a DH bike when you're typically not traction limited under acceleration, but most definitely are when braking, and handling is more important than both. This frame seems to put geometry and shock performance first. Looking forward to test rides (and pricing).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Aside from my trolling about this being a nice Sunn, I actually think this frame will be fantastic. I've said for a long time that the priority for DH frames should be, in order from most important:
- geometry/fit
- compression curve
- braking performance
- pedaling performance

I've never understood the emphasis on crazy linkages to improve pedaling on a DH bike when you're typically not traction limited under acceleration, but most definitely are when braking, and handling is more important than both. This frame seems to put geometry and shock performance first. Looking forward to test rides (and pricing).
The major difference between this bike and the Sunn (and it is a pretty big difference): the Sunn's shock is actuated from one end, the Evil's shock is actuated from BOTH ends.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The major difference between this bike and the Sunn (and it is a pretty big difference): the Sunn's shock is actuated from one end, the Evil's shock is actuated from BOTH ends.
Like I said, I was trolling. And the very point of my post is that the geometry and compression curve being the most important thing, will set this bike apart from others much moreso than pivot point and structural design (which are what make it visually resemble some other frames). So in other words, it will be completely different than the Sunn.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
- geometry/fit
- compression curve
- braking performance
- pedaling performance

I think it's less about traction issues when accelerating and more about getting the most out of the minimal pedalling opportunities on current DH tracks and bikes. BB heights of 13.8 and lower combined with increasing technical difficulty on a run means there are so few places you can get a stroke or half a stroke in; and most pedalling tends to involve frantic mashing (rather than anything near a controlled motion). The more forward acceleration you can get with the least wastage, the better.

I personally think a bike that pedals well is a lot more fun to train on as well, i.e stuff that involves more pedalling than lift/shuttle assisted runs. A quickly accelerating DH bike lets you spend more training time on the same bike you'll be racing on (without having to worry about pedalling a slug).

That aside though I do agree that geometry is of utmost importance, and if the Evil matches the paper claims, then it is spot on. Pretty keen to see some side-on shots of the real deal.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
What is with DW putting 'single chainguide mount holes' on the non drive side on the DH frames he has designed???

Sunday, Revolt....DHR?

Is this just for some sort of production Jig? Just 'cuz'?

Anyone? DW?

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
What is with DW putting 'single chainguide mount holes' on the non drive side on the DH frames he has designed???

Sunday, Revolt....DHR?

Is this just for some sort of production Jig? Just 'cuz'?

Anyone? DW?
weagle's bikes are designed to be very neutral under braking but if i had to throw out a guess i would say that hole is so, if some nerd wants to run a floating rear brake they won't need a bracket, or any weird mounting, they can just bolt the eyelet right to that hole......

i could be wrong though...

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
We're actually designing our own wheel size 1/2 way between 650B & 29"... =P

In all seriousness, well I'm not saying "no" but I'm certainly saying "not now".

non-drive hole
Just there b/c the part was designed to able to be extruded and the factory threaded it like on the drive side. No floater necessary.

-ska todd

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i just noticed the interesting the placement for the rear brake hose mount down by the bottom bracket...
and whats that screw hole for next to the bb?

project 2501

Chimp
Nov 24, 2008
Pécs
weagle's bikes are designed to be very neutral under braking but if i had to throw out a guess i would say that hole is so, if some nerd wants to run a floating rear brake they won't need a bracket, or any weird mounting, they can just bolt the eyelet right to that hole......

i could be wrong though...
can also be a mount for some bashguard?