Quantcast

Evil Carbon?

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
ah, the well informed opinions of those who have never been involved with the manufacturing sector

:rolleyes:

agreed

and it seems most people on here blame the wrong end of the spectrum for the problems that occur.

what's even better is that the biggest hater on Evil post the same things non stop, but has been kept very much in the loop as to where the complications have come from. He has also been "sorted out" whenever there was an issue.

ungrateful and trolling are the words that come to mind :rolleyes:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what's even better is that the biggest hater on Evil post the same things non stop, but has been kept very much in the loop as to where the complications have come from. He has also been "sorted out" whenever there was an issue.
lolz youre funny...so many things to say, such little space.

that person was also treated like sh!t when he met those involved at Windham :thumb:. awesome PR work there

i look forward to selling my frame

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Maybe....maybe not. It depends on where their bottleneck is. While the two technologies are totally different.....if, by adding this project, you are thinning R&D resources....or order processing resources....or some other thing within the company, the carbon thing could affect lead times on conventional ones. It really depends how they've laid out their enterprise internally. If one guy is expected to somehow handle both projects, it's possible that one will sit while he's working on the other......

that's true to some extent, and i really don't know what the hold up is, but from the bike companies i've dealt with in the past, i know that they quite often are being back logged by third party fabricators(tubing suppliers, welders, machinists, hardware manufacturers/distributors, powdercoat/anno) based on that, i would assume that the bikes are not being shipped/warranted in a reasonable amount of time because they're waiting on a third party mentioned above; NOT because they're just sitting at the warehouse but the guy who would normally package them and mail them out and send you a nice little email with tracking # is busy slaving over a mold with carbon fiber in his lungs and epoxy all over his hands :)

if everything was done 100% in house it would be a different story altogether though....

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
that person was also treated like sh!t when he met those involved at Windham :thumb:. awesome PR work there

i look forward to selling my frame

well respect is a two way street :rolleyes:

looking forward to your complaints about whatever company you choose next... what frame will you be buying? maybe someone should warn them in advance

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Evil could be a case study of the trials and tribulations of smaller boutique companies sourcing production in SE Asia.
yeah, see that's what i figured....alot of US manufacturers get held up for extended amounts of time sourcing through a particular company in the pacific northwest....lead times and straight answers from that part of the world(SE asia)must be a nightmare

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
well respect is a two way street :rolleyes:

looking forward to your complaints about whatever company you choose next... what frame will you be buying? maybe someone should warn them in advance
plenty of respect shown on my end and more than enough patience...but im sure you know that :thumb:

ive learned my lesson the hard away on how awesome taiwanese made bikes are

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::disgust1:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yeah, see that's what i figured....alot of US manufacturers get held up for extended amounts of time sourcing through a particular company in the pacific northwest....lead times and straight answers from that part of the world(SE asia)must be a nightmare
add language barrier, time zone difference, and CNY to the mix and your target dates get pushed out even farther.

That's not even going into the fact that the order sizes for a company like Evil are simply a drop in the bucket to these frame fab co's. They're probably in the bottom 10-15% of customers when it comes to order size. (this isn't a knock on Evil at all, there's just a lot more bike companies sourcing from SEA)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i have been in the supply chain industry specificly sourcing out of asia for over 6 years now...trust me i'm well informed on the subject...

the guys at evil have to chuckle a bit reading this...I know i would, you can't please the internet.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Just a guess here...it could be due to posting things like this on the internet for months. :rolleyes:
there was nothing negative posted prior to this.

im sorry that getting the same story daily has driven me to this point. as you can see in the revolt thread, im not the only one. i know its also convenient to kvetch to your roommate who also runs the company

i guess complaining is easier than a class-action lawsuit :rolleyes:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I feel like this thread might be full of those dudes you see on the mountain unloading black H2’s, blaring DISTURBED, bragging about how many frames they have broke, and sporting the no shirt with body armor look…fess up.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the guys at evil have to chuckle a bit reading this...I know i would, you can't please the internet.
are you kidding? DW can poop in a box with links on either end and every single RM fanboy homer will sign up to pay extra for it because he ate corn the night before.

Evil is going to have to step it up now that the Devinci Wilson is coming out with basically the same design AND split pivot, and they might actually have the customer service to back it up when the time comes.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
are you kidding? DW can poop in a box with links on either end and every single RM fanboy homer will sign up to pay extra for it because he ate corn the night before.

Evil is going to have to step it up now that the Devinci Wilson is coming out with basically the same design AND split pivot, and they might actually have the customer service to back it up when the time comes.
Have you ever dealt with a Quebec based company before? Don't hold your breath! :rofl:

I Kid, I kid.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I know of two people that were screwed by evil and ended up going with differcent companies for their dh bike needs. One of them posts here very regularly. It doesnt matter how boutique they are, Evil's business practices have been pretty crappy to this point. Im sure it isnt all evils fault but now that **** has hit the fan with parts breaking and some very unhappy customers, it just doesnt look good.

Ih8rice has every reason to be pissed about how he has been treated. There are two sides to every story but people are paying for these bikes, evil should do what thay have to do to stand behind their products.

The revolts are sick. A carbon revolt would be awesome. It just seems that if you have parts backed up and alot of angry customers the r and d money going towards the new carbon bike would be better spent elsewhere.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
How foolish to think that the people running a small company have anything to do with actually PRODUCING the frames. Silly, silly internet.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Perhaps I'm narrow-minded, but where the technology is today, I wouldn't waste my time developing a carbon DH bike. The amount of overhead required to manufacture a frame properly and repeatably....I say "meh" to that. The headaches are not outweighed by the gains, in my humble opinion......

(Not that it doesn't make a fun science project of course........)

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Perhaps I'm narrow-minded, but where the technology is today, I wouldn't waste my time developing a carbon DH bike. The amount of overhead required to manufacture a frame properly and repeatably....I say "meh" to that. The headaches are not outweighed by the gains, in my humble opinion......
i think the success many manufacturers are currently having with carbon bikes will carry over to dh. production costs are dropping & there's obviously some very capable manufacturers out there. i don't think sc or gt would develop their carbon dh platforms if they didn't think they were viable production units. i believe it's just the tip of the iceberg. we're reaching the limits of aluminum's strength / durability to weight ratio; carbon is the way forward! (yes, i'm a disciple of the glorious shiny weave).

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
How foolish to think that the people running a small company have anything to do with actually PRODUCING the frames. Silly, silly internet.
they are still responsible for the brand and their products. and letting customers waiting for a spare reararm in the middle of the riding season without any date is not acceptable. buddy only can ride because his DEALER gave him a used spare one from their own fleet.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey

(Not that it doesn't make a fun science project of course........)
Carbon bikes can be outsourced as well you know...

Sandwich said:
While quite disrespectful, that did make me laugh...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
While quite disrespectful, that did make me laugh...
sorry...I have nothing against DW and I think he does indeed do great work. I think there's just a tendency on this forum in particular to glaze over the marketing jargon to support certain companies. People are apt to dismiss older systems as junk, but newer patented ones somehow are immune despite similar claims. There has to be equal treatment for all parties....no matter who makes the bike.

That being said, I feel the same way about Evil...based on what I've read from people who actually own these bikes, I wouldn't buy one. Diverting corporate focus from filling demand to creating more hype is not a business plan that favors return customers. Take a look at Corsair. 2+ years of "look how cool we are" then the bikes finally come out and half of them don't work. That company got sold and we can only hope the new owner/s inject the QC those bikes deserve.

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
So you are saying that Stevie Smith didn't get bucked at worlds and he has the rainbow stripes now? Cool! ;)
The funny thing is, now the bucking happened in full view of the whole World and robbed Stevie of a gold, the bucking naysayers are now conveniently ignoring this fact and remain quiet about it :rofl:

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
sorry...I have nothing against DW and I think he does indeed do great work. I think there's just a tendency on this forum in particular to glaze over the marketing jargon to support certain companies. People are apt to dismiss older systems as junk, but newer patented ones somehow are immune despite similar claims. There has to be equal treatment for all parties....no matter who makes the bike.

That being said, I feel the same way about Evil...based on what I've read from people who actually own these bikes, I wouldn't buy one. Diverting corporate focus from filling demand to creating more hype is not a business plan that favors return customers. Take a look at Corsair. 2+ years of "look how cool we are" then the bikes finally come out and half of them don't work. That company got sold and we can only hope the new owner/s inject the QC those bikes deserve.

there's a difference between "marketing jargon" and providing a descriptive name for something. Can you imagine if nothing was named?

"Well, that thing pushes on that other doo-hickey, while that thing-a-majigger spins and something else changes."

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Take a look at Corsair. 2+ years of "look how cool we are" then the bikes finally come out and half of them don't work. That company got sold and we can only hope the new owner/s inject the QC those bikes deserve.
Corsairs probably need a total redesign more than QC. ;0

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
there's a difference between "marketing jargon" and providing a descriptive name for something. Can you imagine if nothing was named?
that's fine, but I think there's a line between selling something on a name with a patent and giving it a general name that describes what it is.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
they are still responsible for the brand and their products. and letting customers waiting for a spare reararm in the middle of the riding season without any date is not acceptable. buddy only can ride because his DEALER gave him a used spare one from their own fleet.

Yes, this is all I ask for. I've had a broken revolt frame since June, and after two months of not racing (or trying to borrow a dh bike) I have been thoroughly annoyed with Evil to every extent. I've given up hope, and got my cracked morewood re-welded and it's good to go, so I can now finally finish up my race season, and hopefully get back on track to the successes I was having much earlier in the year.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I thought my post was sufficiently bleeding with sarcasm. Guess I'll have to try harder next time.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
my buddy is on his 3rd Revolt frame in 14 months - and has been waiting 2 months for "warranty" - he said its a sweet ride, but too unreliable

he bought a TR450 in Whistler so he could continue his expensive vacation as there was no chance of getting a Revolt to Whistler in time

he said that the Evil dealers in Whistler were not confident of the brand and its warranty support, and the high rate of failures they had experienced

back in the UK some months on, he still does not have a replacement frame, and is now pursuing legal remedy against the retailer to get his money back and buy a SC C.F. V-10

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I've had a Revolt since June 09 and while I've had hardware issues with it, the warranty end of things has been pretty good. I do have a buddy waiting on a warranty frame from them due to broken dogbone bolts and the swingarm hitting the frame. We'll see how that goes for him...

If he gets shoddy service I won't be looking at an evil for my next bike.