Quantcast

Evil Carbon?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Point is, if Evil tried to build completely built in the USA frames, they would coast a good order of magnitude more than they currently do...and they are already pretty pricey.

While I would usually agree, one company in particular has shown that thats just not the case. ROTECs are made in the US, and are built very nicely, and yet retail for considerably less than the EVIL does.

Cue somebody to whine about how a Rotec rides (even though the bike is probably faster than they are. :) ) but it comes down to a bike thats US made, with quite a bit of technology in it, that DOESN'T cost a fortune at all.

I think the EVIL just has marketing and hype tax on it, boosting the cost.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Turner, Intense, Yeti... similar pricing too.

This Taiwan thing only works as long as transportation costs stay low. And if it changes, it's going to be a whole lot more than bikes that are affected.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Since we're on the topic, I'd love to see a north american made drivetrain.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
So where is the Tazer HT made again? And why? ;)
One bike out of 14. And is such a small seller, niche market bike for us, we preferred to focus on full suspension aluminum bikes to make in house, outside my office window...and paint down the street, anodize down the street, make our boxes down the street...keep it local, keep it in the community-so sue me.

As for the thread, I hope to see this bike in reality, always cool to see new stuff.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
The two intenses we have in my riding group have been pretty rock solid - one of the pivots backed out on a slopestyle, but it was an easy fix, and its been solid ever since.

Anyway, there are plenty of USA made bikes that are cheaper then "cost saving overseas bikes" - intense, ventana, ftw, and rotec spring to mind. In fact, I think the majority of bikes made in the USA are probably getting to the point where they're about the same to cheaper then overseas brands. 3000 for a split pivot frame made in taiwan? wtf trek. (I have a session and love it, but treks pricing is retarded)...

But anyway, I hear bad things about evils CS, and great things about their bikes when they work. Maybe going to a stronger carbon frame might be the ticket. The best CS is one you don't have to deal with.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
horsesh1t
I don't envy you your job, having to publicly stand up for Intense QC. Have fun with that. But while you're at it, I'll be punching runs on my dead-straight, uncracked Taiwan-made frame, which still retains all its linkage bolts. And has enormous amounts of forged parts. And costs ~25% less than an M6/951 ever have (Aussie prices).

But yeah, totally with you maaaan, Taiwan is bad mkaay.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
One bike out of 14. And is such a small seller, niche market bike for us, ....
No offense, but this is how it started with Yeti and SC as well. Now they hardly produce anything outside of Asia. Hate to see this happen with Intense. Wouldn't it been easier to make the HT a limited production run in house bike, like the Tazer VP FRO was the last years? Would have made more sense from a business perspective IMO.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Does Gabe ride?
Define "ride".

J/K :)

Not sure how relevant it all is, but I've taken numerous laps at Whistler with him and he rides as well as any of the rest of us.

As an original founder of Evil, it's tough for me to see them lose talent, but I wish the best of luck to both Gabe and Evil as they head in separate directions.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
All I know is Evil needs to get their $hit together, because I have 3 old evil t-shirts I still like to wear. Including one who has the late great Patrick Swayze on it.
So, get it straight Evil. I don't want to feel like I am walking around in an Ellsworth shirt.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
All I know is Evil needs to get their $hit together, because I have 3 old evil t-shirts I still like to wear. Including one who has the late great Patrick Swayze on it.
So, get it straight Evil. I don't want to feel like I am walking around in an Ellsworth shirt.
Old Evil jersey its what the cool people wear.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Yeah, kind of funny (sad) that the thread started as hype over a potentially sick new carbon DH bike and turned toward speculation on the health of the company. Guess that's the reality of the situation though.

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
I'm surprised there hasn't been any word from Evil in months about their current situation, bike issues, factory issues, etc. Saying something, even if it's not all positive, is a heck of a lot better than saying nothing. With all of the negative speculation and no word whatsoever from Evil, to me, seems like a total PR disaster and complete mismanagement.

I wish the best to Evil and hope they can turn this all around. There is no denying that the Revolt is a really nice rig, I just hope that they can ride this out and start eanring people's confidence again.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Im sure between running a very successful ad agency in seattle and being in taiwann dealing with the new frame plant Kevin has more pressing issues than responding to the same 10 peoples speculative comments on the health of the company he's invested so much in.

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
The thing is that it's not just this forum or the people on it. It's the stigma that's attached to the bikes and the company. I was at an Evil dealer and the guy working there told me to steer clear. I feel for Kevin and it's a tought spot to be in. Like I said I hope they can turn this thing around for the better.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Here's my un-informed non-insider joe schmoe oppinion: I always wondered how the Evil model was going to work. They had no real foundation and immediately signed some pretty big name riders for a WC team which means money spent. I know that Evil was not footing the whole bill but it was still an investment. On top of that, although there were a lot of the previous people involved; I think they predicted the bike to have a similar influence as the Sunday did. Problem is, there are way more equal offerings on the market compared to the early Sunday days so I think sales were and would be lower, in comparison, even if there was no issue with availability. Top this off with the fact that they had no other models (or old stock) to fall on, or offer customers, when the sh1t hit the fan and the outcome has been less than ideal.

I hope things work out but It seems bleak. Karpiel never really rebounded..we'll see If Evil can sustain with so many new offerings. I liken this to the mid to late 90's snowboarding market...too many new companys for the market to support.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It seems like there are a lot of companies now that dream big but don't realize they're tiny itty bitty companies in a crowded, competitive market. Some of the bigger names float from company to company, making a lot of noise and great bikes but sinking the ship as they go...

There was so much hype for the evil AM bike...SO much hype...why didn't they squeeze that one out?

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
It seems like there are a lot of companies now that dream big but don't realize they're tiny itty bitty companies in a crowded, competitive market. Some of the bigger names float from company to company, making a lot of noise and great bikes but sinking the ship as they go...

There was so much hype for the evil AM bike...SO much hype...why didn't they squeeze that one out?
Obviously the only people who can answer that are Kevin and Gabe. I think we can all notice that factory issues have forced them into looking to other people to make the frames (lets not start the taiwan vs. america argument here.)

Gabe is still at evil helping to finalized alot of stuff and making the transition easy for the new guys. Im not even going to say he wasnt stressed, im sure anyone involved is stressed.

newyork1

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
Im sure between running a very successful ad agency in seattle and being in taiwann dealing with the new frame plant Kevin has more pressing issues than responding to the same 10 peoples speculative comments on the health of the company he's invested so much in.
More pressing issues than dealing with customers?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
quoted for truth.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well if he is running a very successful ad agency he must know more about communication than the rest of us then.