Quantcast

Evil?

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
i still want one of those damn undeads, just cos of the name..

but i gotta win the lotto before i even consider investing in one all things considered.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's cool that the bike didn't break. Now they need to get them to customers, particularly ones who use their broken frames as cowbells.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oh i see, I guess I thought people were saying "He toasted the wheel, but not the frame, blah blah blah the frame is strong carbon rulez zomg EVIL"....so my point was simply: fine, start squeezing them out.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
That Zink move was over the top. I've known those two since they were just a couple of young punks hanging around at the Norbas. Now they are just old punks, I couldn't be happier to see them out having fun riding together and I am stoked that they want to rip on equipment I had a part in. That's awesome.

Evil V2 is Evil V2. Kevin paid for the ability to take the company in any direction that he wanted. He is the owner, president, CEO, and Chairman of the Board. Everyone else is along for the ride and I know to a man and woman we all are giving our full support with whatever we can to make this thing a success. I wish I knew the future, but I don't unfortunately!

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
I have always wondered where the funding for their team comes from. They have one of the sickest teams around, topped only by Spec, Trek, Giant, and SC. McDonald, Strobel, Masters, Zinc. The only products they are selling is t-shirts....

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Im sure most will disagree with me on this but they do a good job of guerilla marketing with some of the products, maybe it’s intentional maybe not but it seems to work. We have threads popping up like this on a monthly basis so like it or not regardless of product history people are talking about it…The whole spy photos on an iphone @ vital, hotel room interviews, complete silence on products…

If they came back out with a bang on the undead and some other bikes like the sect they were discussing a while back I might give them a second chance. You have to believe they see these threads and aren’t oblivious to the criticism. Im keeping an open mind there is a vision here…

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Im sure most will disagree with me on this but they do a good job of guerilla marketing with some of the products, maybe it’s intentional maybe not but it seems to work. We have threads popping up like this on a monthly basis so like it or not regardless of product history people are talking about it…The whole spy photos on an iphone @ vital, hotel room interviews, complete silence on products…
as a creative guy, kevin is, i'm sure, acutely aware of marketing / media manipulation tactics, which surprises me even more as to the lack of brand salvaging, or current brand presence of any tangible sort at this time. i'm guessing his day job is much more lucrative (than the fiscal black hole that is evil bikes), and perhaps not worth his full attention.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
i'm guessing his day job is much more lucrative (than the fiscal black hole that is evil bikes), and perhaps not worth his full attention.
I think that you are exactly right, his design agency does really well and they have some great partners. Also, as he's explained to me, he "doesn't want to fuel the speculation fire" FWIW, whether people agree with it or not. I just hope that it all works out in the end.

samnation

Monkey
Jan 25, 2009
Somewhere in KANURDUR
Lots of updates on the teams mini site

I've been watching this thread from the start and have read just about all of it word for word

My Opinion calm down. They told us when they began working on the Undead it wasn't going to be a bing bang jank something together and it will be for sale. They are taking their time with all of this, as Dave said earlier this year maybe they shouldn't have spoken until they had a bunch of units waiting fine tuned and ready to be shipped. Having a bunch of dudes with nothing better to do with their time than smash their E-door down asking when everything is going to happen and why they haven't updated the site probably doesn't help. I don't know but i would just as quickly assume that the Undead is not on the site because it doesn't exist its still just a carbon prototype that they are fine tuning the specs on to prepare for release.

Let the guys be, when they are ready they will let you know and you can be assured that so and so over on pinkbike is not going to get a bike before you, if he does well **** you just got beat even if its the second one off the line its still nicer than 90% of the bikes out there.

I am not aiming that personally at ANYONE I understand what is going on here and that most of it is just how the internet works.

Jun 20, 2007

I've been watching this thread from the start and have read just about all of it word for word

My Opinion calm down. They told us when they began working on the Undead it wasn't going to be a bing bang jank something together and it will be for sale. They are taking their time with all of this, as Dave said earlier this year maybe they shouldn't have spoken until they had a bunch of units waiting fine tuned and ready to be shipped. Having a bunch of dudes with nothing better to do with their time than smash their E-door down asking when everything is going to happen and why they haven't updated the site probably doesn't help. I don't know but i would just as quickly assume that the Undead is not on the site because it doesn't exist its still just a carbon prototype that they are fine tuning the specs on to prepare for release.

Let the guys be, when they are ready they will let you know and you can be assured that so and so over on pinkbike is not going to get a bike before you, if he does well **** you just got beat even if its the second one off the line its still nicer than 90% of the bikes out there.

I am not aiming that personally at ANYONE I understand what is going on here and that most of it is just how the internet works.
Hi Evil Bikes spokesperson!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
A sucker is born every day...
say what you want but I work with overseas suppliers everyday and understand the quality issues you can run into. it happens. To think a company with a good brain behind it can't correct those issues and survive is ridiculous.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
That's something for a select group to deal with personally and doesn't require 7 pages of rumors and bull.
Since when did a companies reputation with handling warranties not have a direct impact on its future customers? Lack of resolution with communication is still much preferable to the current no communication no resolution BS.

That said the undead looks sick, I would love to ride someone's someday. Good luck turning this PR asteroid around...

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
No matter how amazing the Undead may or may not be would anyone on seriously want to take the chance? I'd like to know that the company I'm buying a $3500 frame from is going to be there in a year or that they can even offer a replacement for if/when it breaks.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

Calm down?

If i was out $2600 or whatever it is for a frame, for over a year, I would be furious.

eatmyshorts

Monkey
Jun 18, 2010
South OZ
say what you want but I work with overseas suppliers everyday and understand the quality issues you can run into. it happens. To think a company with a good brain behind it can't correct those issues and survive is ridiculous.
In the bike industry the turn-around time to re-tool up OS with a solution/new product and then fit it back into someone else’s production schedule can just burn you big time.

At the same time, the end user with a broken product is not going to appreciate what has to happen behind the scenes to remedy the situation..

In the right conditions this could happen to many bike companies that are not the biggest fish in the OS manufacturing pond.

Not speculating on the company being discussed here.. Just the industry in general..

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Maybe a small company charging premium prices and you can't afford proper oversight/QC with OS suppliers should in-house production? I still can't believe how much companies are charging these days for mass produced taiwan-made frames.

Can you imagine what would happen if KTM or Honda sold a defective moto frame and didn't get the customers new frames within a month much less a year? They'd be bankrupt from lawsuits and ruining their brand.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Can you imagine what would happen if KTM or Honda sold a defective moto frame and didn't get the customers new frames within a month much less a year? They'd be bankrupt from lawsuits and ruining their brand.
large mfgs like KTM, Honda or Yamaha have the ability to get production back up and running to hopefully solve any issues.....and not try and take on a whole new model leaving customers in the dark. but youre right, if they couldnt get customers sorted out, then they would be neck deep in lawsuits.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
large mfgs like KTM, Honda or Yamaha have the ability to get production back up and running to hopefully solve any issues.....and not try and take on a whole new model leaving customers in the dark. but youre right, if they couldnt get customers sorted out, then they would be neck deep in lawsuits.
Ya, thats why this whole boutique bike companies who don't even do their whole mfg. need to die. The whole business model is so mindblowingly bad.

eatmyshorts

Monkey
Jun 18, 2010
South OZ
How many companies actually do their own mfg in any industry?

KTM, Honda etc would have a specific production line.. not sharing with anyone else..

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
In the bike industry the turn-around time to re-tool up OS with a solution/new product and then fit it back into someone else’s production schedule can just burn you big time.

At the same time, the end user with a broken product is not going to appreciate what has to happen behind the scenes to remedy the situation..

In the right conditions this could happen to many bike companies that are not the biggest fish in the OS manufacturing pond.

Not speculating on the company being discussed here.. Just the industry in general..
I think we are saying the same thing, my point is this stuff happens when you are a small manufact sourcing product overseas...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Ya, thats why this whole boutique bike companies who don't even do their whole mfg. need to die. The whole business model is so mindblowingly bad.
qft.

Too many companies think they can go from loud advertisements to profit without substance. The great/successful companies garnered a loyal following first THEN upped the ante with a newer, flashier model.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Really disheartening to see what's happened to Evil. I have/had an original Evil chainguide and rode an Imperial, now I've got the original Sovereign...

Used to be a really quality company with quality guys at the helm who got their business by doing things right. It's not hard to love a company that believes the way to success is treating the customers well and serving up a top-of-the-line product. The communication and customer service I got from Evil and the beginnings of E.13 were nothing short of exceptional. I got a DRS shortly before they released the soft rollers and when I asked John P how much the soft rollers were, a package showed up in my mailbox with 3 of them inside. A friend cracked a bashguard when he landed square on a concrete corner from an unreasonable height and got a new bashguard free when he asked about a crash replacement - with a full disclosure of what happened.

Sad to see how fast a change in management will obliterate any sign of a great history.