Quantcast

Fabien Barel beats out Minaar and Hill for WC win

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
That pass was awesome. What a great course, it reminded me of downhill domination size (huge)...had a very unreal look to it in some of the jumps. What a great site...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Transcend said:
The point about kovarik is that he lost ona few occasions by a thousandth of a second or 2. That is wearing a skinsuit, sinetad of wearing a stupid looking baggy outfit.

You have to do what you have to do to win. Do you think those sharkskin suits for swimming look dumb? Maybe so, but they are setting world records because of them.

edit: I do agree that peaty is a hypocrit about that. He also had a custom SHORT troy lee visor done in order to wear a visor, yet have the advantages of none. smart, but hypocritical.

unwritten rules are stupid. If i was at that level, youc an bet your ass i would be wearing a skinsuit when appropriate and doing everything possible to get that edge without breaking rules (ie:doping)
Stupid looking baggy outfit? Are you on crack?

Peat has an excellent point. What do you think makes DH look cooler to the masses, a tight ass skin suit or the Moto gear? Like it or not, thats who they need to sell the sport to.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
What a 4X course !!! an insane high speed triple, three huge stepdowns, the last jump wasn't a 'jump', they bunnyhopped it (46 feet far :eek: ) etc etc...

Mickael Deldycke (on a Rotwild Hardtail) impressed me the most.
He jumped and railed like I have never seen before.
But Eric Carter was riding super clean and fast, he deserved to win.

Gracia crashed during 4X qualifications, his foot slipped of the pedal in the very last corner.
So he decided to pull some backflips on the hipjump during 2e practice. :D

I was standing in the corner where Peat crashed.
A 'strange' place to crash, considering the rest of the track.
He would have won, no question about that.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
dropmachine.com said:
Stupid looking baggy outfit? Are you on crack?

Peat has an excellent point. What do you think makes DH look cooler to the masses, a tight ass skin suit or the Moto gear? Like it or not, thats who they need to sell the sport to.

you do what it takes ot win

mountainzone.com
"Barel smashed his chain retention device and lost enough time to finish 2nd just .15 slower than Peat, who was wearing a skinsuit for better aerodynamics."

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
DH Diva said:
The US women took 4th, 6th, 7th, and 8th though!! Good job gals!
INDEED! :thumb:

edit: sweet footage of vanessa quin's winning run on the previously posted link.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
bcd said:

you do what it takes ot win

mountainzone.com
"Barel smashed his chain retention device and lost enough time to finish 2nd just .15 slower than Peat, who was wearing a skinsuit for better aerodynamics."
So you are saying either Barel should have had an e.thirteen, or a skinsuit...

Either would have worked in that case I guess.

:D

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
dw said:
So you are saying either Barel should have had an e.thirteen, or a skinsuit...

Either would have worked in that case I guess.

:D

lol good catch

i am pro skin suits.
that is if you are a top rider loosing by .2 or a stricklly speed event I.E. kami here i come!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
i wouldn't wear s skin suit on a slow course, or because i am slow. But if i was that fast, you could bet your ass i would be wearing one. I also think it looks better 90% of the time, then the idiots who ride without armour and their jerseys flapping all over. Not to mention the ghetto shorts that are usually WAY too big.

Sep 10, 2001
What?!?! He won on a freeride fork???? Sorry... Couldn't resist....

Peats crash looked painful.... Also, seems to be a lot of skinsuits in those pics... Ironic though... In a sport where a win can be decided by hundreths or thousanths of a second, building a one race, sub 30lbs bike is ok, but a skinsuit is considered so bad....

Brian

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Brian Peterson said:
What?!?! He won on a freeride fork???? Sorry... Couldn't resist....

Peats crash looked painful.... Also, seems to be a lot of skinsuits in those pics... Ironic though... In a sport where a win can be decided by hundreths or thousanths of a second, building a one race, sub 30lbs bike is ok, but a skinsuit is considered so bad....

Brian
Sub what?

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
lots of skinsuits, cos its worlds, and you gotta wear your national kit, I think it seems to be a common thread amongst national federations to place very little importance on dh'ers and just give them skin suits each year, Minnaar was rocking the moto shirt (first time for SA not to have a skin suit) Could a skin suit have shaved off 0.58 seconds, maybe ?

conleycm1

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
is there a way to save that streaming video (the footage that was posted on the first page of this thread)? what about net-transport? will that do it? anyone convert that file to a downloadable file yet?
thanks for your help!

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
conleycm1 said:
is there a way to save that streaming video (the footage that was posted on the first page of this thread)? what about net-transport? will that do it? anyone convert that file to a downloadable file yet?
thanks for your help!
http://sports.freecaster.com/Media/Files/196_large.mov
Fabien

http://sports.freecaster.com/Media/Files/195_large.mov
Peat

http://sports.freecaster.com/Media/Files/197_large.mov
4x final

Jana Horakova winning the Women's 4X final (16MB)
http://sports.freecaster.com/Media/Files/198_large.mov

Vanessa Quin's winning run in the Women's DH (15MB)
http://sports.freecaster.com/Media/Files/194_large.mov

right click save as.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Horses for courses boys. DH is still cycling, and if anything it's roots lay more in DH skiing than MX, and as such (and seeing that I have a closet full of lycra) I think that skinusits are rad. When i get in the gate in baggy race gear I feel like some sort of insecure homophobic fool. When i get in the gate in a skinsuit, I feel like it's a real bike race, and not some sideshow, and I ****ing rail.
To me skinsuits mean a commitment to doing whatever it takes, and total preperation. I really don't understand the people who say that somehow skinusuits are holding back tv coverage of the sport.... I think that's a load of fat bald man insecurity, homophobia and prejudice. F*ucking Palmer didn't invent DH.