Quantcast

Feral Cats - what would you do?

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
We seem to have a growing problem with feral cats in our neighborhood. I've attempted to contact the animal control agency contracted with our county several times over the last few months with zero response. All of the attempted correspondence is documented.

I'm considering taking action myself as these animals are becoming quite a nuisance, digging in our flower beds and hanging out under our deck. Any suggestions on ridding our neighborhood of these pests? Poison? Pellet gun? Traps?

We're going to be puting in some raised garden beds this weekend and I don't want them to become a litter box for these bastards, so I need to do something quickly.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My cat beat the hell out of the feral cats when we moved in. The neighbor thought we had done something because about 2 months after we moved in, the feral cat problem had seemed to disappear.

I thought it was funny.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
You really got ZERO response from animal control? Really? Nobody answers the phone over there?

Are you comfortable killing animals?
If you trap them, then what will you do?
I'd say get a dog. Don't kill the cats.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Have you contacted the humane society. THey will send trappers out to pick up the cats and have them fixed. They then release them again but you could suggest that you area is a very dangerous area for them, they might release them somewhere else.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Most animal shelters/control won't do anything about cats. They consider them on the same level as squirrels and such, just another wild animal. You wouldn't call animal control if you had squirrel's nesting in your attic would you?

As far as how to get rid of them? No idea. I know someone that did everything short of killing them and it didn't get rid of them. What about a catch and release trap? Drop them off 20 miles from your house?

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Target practice, duh. But with a shotgun, or those rodent exploding 22 rounds.
Agreed, get some turkey or coyote loads.

A pellet gun wont be a sure thing, you are more likely to injure them than kill them.

I remember seeing some video where they set up pans of food off in the distance, and would fire cannon ball rounds at the same spot. Over the top, but did the job.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
You really got ZERO response from animal control? Really? Nobody answers the phone over there?

Are you comfortable killing animals?
If you trap them, then what will you do?
I'd say get a dog. Don't kill the cats.
They don't answer the phone, you have to leave a message. I also attempted to contact them several times through their web form w/ a cc to myself so I could show lack of response after a few messages went unreturned.

Please don't shoot or (especially) try to poison the animals. Besides being grossly inhumane, kill-based methods of feral control have been scientifically proven time and again to be ineffective. Indeed, most times trying to eradicate a feral colony - by whatever means - creates a bigger problem than the one you started with.

Depending on where you live, look over the resources on these sites and see if you can find someone to contact for help.

http://www.alleycat.org/resources.html
http://www.saveacat.org/catlinks.html

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Call nearest Korean or Chinese restaurant.

They'll be happy to pick them up! I believe in Korean and Mandarin that the word for feral cat is #7.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Please don't shoot or (especially) try to poison the animals. Besides being grossly inhumane, kill-based methods of feral control have been scientifically proven time and again to be ineffective. Indeed, most times trying to eradicate a feral colony - by whatever means - creates a bigger problem than the one you started with.

Depending on where you live, look over the resources on these sites and see if you can find someone to contact for help.

http://www.alleycat.org/resources.html
http://www.saveacat.org/catlinks.html
Grow a pair. If you kill all the the cats, there won't be anymore. Plus, they're just cats, who really cares? Cats suck.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
Call nearest Korean or Chinese restaurant.

They'll be happy to pick them up! I believe in Korean and Mandarin that the word for feral cat is #7.
At first I thought my neighbors were raising them, but they have definitely passed the "tender" age.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Indeed, most times trying to eradicate a feral colony - by whatever means - creates a bigger problem than the one you started with.
Indeed. Grim problems such as:

1. A marked lack of feral cats in the neighborhood
  2. Missing feral cats
  3. Decreased feral cat population
  4. Garden fecal matter deficit
  5. Cat-less Backyard Syndrome

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

2. Missing feral cats
ah fu*k it... i giggled*...

:p

*Yeah, i'm a cat person so what of it?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Grow a pair. If you kill all the the cats, there won't be anymore. Plus, they're just cats, who really cares? Cats suck.
Yeah, it's definitely lack of balls that causes someone to decide not to kill off a bunch of animals simply because they're inconvenient :rolleyes:

You're a friggin' idiot.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio

2. Missing feral cats
Maybe the key is an adoption program. If everyone in the neighborhood would adopt a cat and train it, there would be no wild cats.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
So when the cats are all gone will we see a post about a mouse infestation?

Seriously though, get some live traps from the Humane Society, catch them and they will spay and neuter them for you. Killing them because they are inconvenient is wrong. They are no threat to you or your livelihood. Preventing them from reproducing is the humane thing to do.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Had that problem at work. Set a large cage trap. In 3 weeks, I caught 9 cats, 3 possums, and 1 chihuaha. Released the cats and possums near the US/Mex border. The chihuaha went back to my neighbor.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
I would be surprised if the humane society or local pet control would do anything about this, but I would continue to try to get some action or advice from them.

Cat whacking seems a bit extreme to me. Trap them and drive to some rural farm area and let them go.

Or, trap them and go this route...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Obviously just someone who can see beyond the end of his nose, to realize that the decision to not kill an inconvenient animal doesn't mean someone is a pussy.
Its actually way more "pussy" for a guy to give a damn if something is disturbing his precious flower bed.:rofl:
Ah, this is why I moved out of neighborhoods.
If I come home and see some asshat shooting cats with a pellet gun, I would kick his ass from one end of the street to the other, and then I would take a $hit in his flower bed.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Its actually way more "pussy" for a guy to give a damn if something is disturbing his precious flower bed.:rofl:
Ah, this is why I moved out of neighborhoods.
If I come home and see some asshat shooting cats with a pellet gun, I would kick his ass from end of the street to the other, and then I would take a $hit in his flower bed.
Where do you live, if not in a neighborhood. Surely you don't live in the sticks.