Quantcast

Fixing Lyric RC Shim Stack

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
On Thursday night we tore down the rc cartridge and made some changes. First off i changed the rebound tune to the light tune. On the compression piston we made the stack listed below

Piston face
(1) 18 0.15
(2) 18 0.10
(3) 16 0.10
(2) 8 0.10 transition shims
(3) 14 0.10
(3) 12 0.10
1.6mm of spacers up against the piston bolt

Won't know how it performs till he gets some ride time on it, which won't be this weekend due to the holiday. It definitely no longer has the lockout "feature"...

My hope is that he will be able to run the adjusters close to closed and actually use the shims. I sent him home with my shockwiz so we'll see what happens.

As for the check shims and springs. I can totally see how they cause spiking issues. The springs are pretty stiff and unfortunately don't allow the shims to move very far from the piston face so I can see how they can be a problem on high speed events. For example the check plates in a diamond can move a mile in comparison.

The stock rc compression tune was insanely stiff. I knew it was bad but they may as well have just bolted a washer up against the piston face.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
On the compression piston we made the stack listed below

Piston face
(1) 18 0.15
(2) 18 0.10
(3) 16 0.10
(2) 8 0.10 transition shims
(3) 14 0.10
(3) 12 0.10
1.6mm of spacers up against the piston bolt
Keep us updated on the results! I'll be getting my bike today so I'm very interested.

Also. Where did you end up sourcing the shims from?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
SDI is where I buy shims. I wish I could update results but it's been too cold to judge any suspension changes, looks like at least another week of this weather.
Any news? Did moar shimz work? Is your shim stack super sick?

Edit: also where did you get the 18mm shimzzz? SDI website only shows up to 16mm shimzzz.

Last edited:

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Any news? Did moar shimz work? Is your shim stack super sick?

Edit: also where did you get the 18mm shimzzz? SDI website only shows up to 16mm shimzzz.
I had a few 18s laying around. Are you sure you are looking at the descriptions correctly. 18 is the outer diameter not inner.
Anyhow, the weather has been awful here but we got a little testing done. Results were decent but he was riding with the lsc almost full closed so we went back in and added just a little more compression and put the rebound back to the original configuration. Haven't been able to test it again yet, everything is soaked here.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Yeah. This is my first time trying to re-shim a fork so I'll go back to the sdi site and take another look

Results were decent but he was riding with the lsc almost full closed so we went back in and added just a little more compression and put the rebound back to the original configuration.
Went back to the original rebound stack? Interesting. How big is your buddy and how hard does he smash on the decents?

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Yeah. This is my first time trying to re-shim a fork so I'll go back to the sdi site and take another look

Went back to the original rebound stack? Interesting. How big is your buddy and how hard does he smash on the decents?
The compression was not put back to stock .only rebound was.
He's about 185. Decent rider, likes to weight the front end, used to race pro dh but not that much of a mountain biker anymore. When he raced dh i couldn't keep up with him, now it's the opposite.